Newsletter chitchat - July 16th, 2024

Cassel

Are you an avid reader?

If so, do you still use printed versions of books or do you prefer the "newer" digital formats?

Either way, why is it your preferred method?

Let's chat about books.

I also used to be a avid reader and I prefer a printed physical book.   I like holding a book and turning the pages. And i like being able to see the whole page at once.  Not like digital where I have to scroll up and down, and if I want to see a whole page at once I have to make it too small to read.  I can get relaxed in any position with a book and take it anywhere with me.  whereas the only thing I have to read a book digitally is my desktop.  I find because the screen is big I lose my place on the line and it's quite bright to lengthy reading.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I also used to be a avid reader and I prefer a printed physical book.   I like holding a book and turning the pages. And i like being able to see the whole page at once.  Not like digital where I have to scroll up and down, and if I want to see a whole page at once I have to make it too small to read.  I can get relaxed in any position with a book and take it anywhere with me.  whereas the only thing I have to read a book digitally is my desktop.  I find because the screen is big I lose my place on the line and it's quite bright to lengthy reading.

I do my reading on my Kindle Fire 10. It's plenty big to see a full page that can be easily read. If you grab it during Prime Days, you can get it for more than 50% off.

Amazon.com: Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet, built for relaxation, 10.1" vibrant Full HD screen, octa-core processor, 3 GB RAM, latest model (2023 release), 64 GB, Black : Electronics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too use a Kindle Fire which is equivalent to an iPad in usefulness, at about 1/3 the price. My grandson, Tyler, got a new Kindle Fire and took it with him on vacation to Bali, Indonesia. He had a very long flight so he could use it to play video games and watch movies in full living color. The color resolution on a Kindle is awesome! I started reading Carole's new book yesterday on my Kindle, and the first thing I liked is the table of contents is interactive so I can jump around in the book just by touching the screen on the chapter/topic that I want to see. No scrolling necessary, and, in fact, with a Kindle, you don't scroll, you swipe left to turn a page. I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and find it useful for reading in doctor's waiting rooms, etc., instead of lugging around the full Kindle. My Kindle is the 7-inch version which I find comfortable. My fingers are arthritic, and I have difficulty with larger books. Amazon has its own version of an app store and the link is there on the Kindle screen. It is android based, like the Samsung phones. Here is an illustration of mine in its VanGogh case, though mine is the green and pink cherry orchard design.

Screenshot_17-7-2024_24559_www.amazon.com.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I too use a Kindle Fire which is equivalent to an iPad in usefulness, at about 1/3 the price. My grandson, Tyler, got a new Kindle Fire and took it with him on vacation to Bali, Indonesia. He had a very long flight so he could use it to play video games and watch movies in full living color. The color resolution on a Kindle is awesome! I started reading Carole's new book yesterday on my Kindle, and the first thing I liked is the table of contents is interactive so I can jump around in the book just by touching the screen on the chapter/topic that I want to see. No scrolling necessary, and, in fact, with a Kindle, you don't scroll, you swipe left to turn a page. I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and find it useful for reading in doctor's waiting rooms, etc., instead of lugging around the full Kindle. My Kindle is the 7-inch version which I find comfortable. My fingers are arthritic, and I have difficulty with larger books. Amazon has its own version of an app store and the link is there on the Kindle screen. It is android based, like the Samsung phones. Here is an illustration of mine in its VanGogh case, though mine is the green and pink cherry orchard design.

I love that cover! I have a 7" with a purple flower design on my cover and a 10" with a kind of dark sky, clouds, and stars cover. It's much easier for me to read on the 10" now, but the 7" is easier to carry with me. 

• Like 3

I've always loved to read and at one time I got a monthly delivery of hard back books from The Literary Guild. This would have been maybe 40 years ago! I still have most of them. I read a lot back then... no computer to divert my attention! These days I go in spurts with my reading.

I got my first Kindle 13 years ago. It was the Touch that was just for reading. I later got an 8" Kindle Fire. I liked it but found it to be heavy. Then I got a 10" Kindle Fire that I used for 7 years. Last year when I was going to so many appointments and then the hospitalizations, I got my newest Kindle. It has a 6" screen and weighs 6 oz. It is small and light with a long battery life. Since it isn't color, the pages look more like books. More so than the adjustments you can make on a Fire. I will read on the Fire at home but take the smaller one when I go places. It fits better in my purse.

I have trouble holding regular books so the Kindle works so much better for me. I use a Pillow Pad ("As Seen On TV") to hold my Kindle. Books don't work on it because of turning pages! 

I do also have a tablet with the Kindle app on it. The tablet is used for games but more importantly it is what I use in case of power outages during tornado warnings. My phone screen is too small for me to read anything on the internet. I will take my tablet on my bus trip this fall so I have access to my email that week. Then if I want to play games or read in the downtime during the bus ride I can.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Michele said:

I do my reading on my Kindle Fire 10. It's plenty big to see a full page that can be easily read. If you grab it during Prime Days, you can get it for more than 50% off.

Amazon.com: Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet, built for relaxation, 10.1" vibrant Full HD screen, octa-core processor, 3 GB RAM, latest model (2023 release), 64 GB, Black : Electronics

Wish I could buy one, but it's still a bit pricey for me ($174 CAD ),  it's mortgage renewal year...rates have tripled since the last renewal 5 yrs ago.  

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thank you Ann, for this description.  I had no idea they were that useful.  Perhaps a re-think on the kindle, down the road after the mortgage gets renewed.  I've also never owned an ipad.  I hardly use my cell phone so I figure I'd hardly use these types of things.  Perhaps I've been missing out. Still, for the money, there is other stuff I'd use more (photo equipment).

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Wish I could buy one, but it's still a bit pricey for me ($174 CAD ),  it's mortgage renewal year...rates have tripled since the last renewal 5 yrs ago.  

Even on Prime Day? 😢

• Like 1

I have always loved to read and was always encouraged by my mother. I used to read both hard cover and paperback books. However, due to eye problems that started in my early 20's, I am so grateful for ebooks which are so much easier to read on my iPhone. The phone is the perfect size since my eyes have trouble following a long sentence. It is also easier to hold in my old age. 

What a good idea to put the book on your iPad or tablet. I have Kindle on my iPad and never thought of using it until the suggestions in this thread. It will be so much more convenient to have the iPad next to the computer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I got my newest Kindle. It has a 6" screen and weighs 6 oz. It is small and light with a long battery life. Since it isn't color, the pages look more like books.

Rene, that sounds like the one Debbie has which is called the Kindle Paperwhite. I looked into it and it seemed quite expensive considering there were no "bells & whistles" such as color or an internet browser. She loves hers, also, mainly because it is small enough to tuck away. Personally, I'll stick with my Fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Rene, that sounds like the one Debbie has which is called the Kindle Paperwhite. I looked into it and it seemed quite expensive considering there were no "bells & whistles" such as color or an internet browser. She loves hers, also, mainly because it is small enough to tuck away. Personally, I'll stick with my Fire.

It is not a Paperwhite. It is just called "Kindle" and cheaper than a Paperwhite. It is the latest model that came out last year. I have never used my Kindle for internet, even my Fire. I have always turned the wi-fi connection off when I'm at home and only turn it on when I need to download library books or new purchases.

2022 Black Kindle with 6'' High Resolution Display | Amazon

Edit to add that the color of the Fire (even the supposed setting to make it more like a book) was tiring my eyes out. This new one does not do that.

Edited by Rene Marker
  • Like 1

I have always loved to read and both my parents were avid readers as well and it even went so far that on some evenings when we all had new (library) books, we didn't say a word to each other because we were emerged in our books 🤫. About 15 years ago my eye problems started and a book was no longer a good idea. Since then I read the newspaper, a magazine or a book on my tablet because it let me adjust the size and brightness of the screen. I don't like to read a book or a big article on my pc, for me that doesn't work. Over here in the Netherlands we have our own webshop called BOLCOM where you can order "everything", just like Amazon but for the Dutch market. They have their own e-reader Kobo and a Kobo-app. Now, for Carole's new book, I have downloaded the Kindle app for my iPad and can have it open next to my laptop if needed, which is something I do when working on the Lab or creative tutorials too. Besides that when we happen to have nice weather I can sit outside and read! Like Rene I have something to put my iPad on so I don't have to hold it all the time. I can write and read emails on my phone or scroll through Facebook but not for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I have always loved to read and both my parents were avid readers as well and it even went so far that on some evenings when we all had new (library) books, we didn't say a word to each other because we were emerged in our books 🤫. About 15 years ago my eye problems started and a book was no longer a good idea. Since then I read the newspaper, a magazine or a book on my tablet because it let me adjust the size and brightness of the screen. I don't like to read a book or a big article on my pc, for me that doesn't work. Over here in the Netherlands we have our own webshop called BOLCOM where you can order "everything", just like Amazon but for the Dutch market. They have their own e-reader Kobo and a Kobo-app. Now, for Carole's new book, I have downloaded the Kindle app for my iPad and can have it open next to my laptop if needed, which is something I do when working on the Lab or creative tutorials too. Besides that when we happen to have nice weather I can sit outside and read! Like Rene I have something to put my iPad on so I don't have to hold it all the time. I can write and read emails on my phone or scroll through Facebook but not for a long time.

I can sympathize, Corrie, since I have problems with my eyes since 1965. I spent my summer days when I was in school at the library before problems developed. I quit smoking in 1995 and used cigarette money to buy books. When I taught, I was very aware of low vision students and tried to make every accommodation for them. Now, e-books and e-readers are invaluable assets to those of us who have vision problems.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I live to read. Always have, likely always will. Since I was very young. I love paper books that I can touch, but during the great shutdown, I got used to downloading e-books to my iPad. It was so easy that I have continued. I have to drive 2-1/2 km to get to the library near where I live.I  have two Kindles which I haven't even turned on for a long time. I am a library user, not a buyer anymore (except for a reference book, such as Carole's, of course!).

I cannot, however, use audio books. I usually fall asleep within 10 minutes of listening to the voice.

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julie Magerka said:

I live to read. Always have, likely always will. Since I was very young. I love paper books that I can touch, but during the great shutdown, I got used to downloading e-books to my iPad. It was so easy that I have continued. I have to drive 2-1/2 km to get to the library near where I live.I  have two Kindles which I haven't even turned on for a long time. I am a library user, not a buyer anymore (except for a reference book, such as Carole's, of course!).

I'm very lucky our libraries offer e-books as well. In this way I can continue to read books, although not so fast as before.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

I have always loved to read and was always encouraged by my mother. I used to read both hard cover and paperback books. However, due to eye problems that started in my early 20's, I am so grateful for ebooks which are so much easier to read on my iPhone. The phone is the perfect size since my eyes have trouble following a long sentence. It is also easier to hold in my old age. 

What a good idea to put the book on your iPad or tablet. I have Kindle on my iPad and never thought of using it until the suggestions in this thread. It will be so much more convenient to have the iPad next to the computer.

Sometimes, when I'm sitting and waiting for appointments, I will use my iPhone to read the book that I have downloaded from the library, but I just can't get comfortable with the small size. I instead will carry my iPad with me if I know I have to wait around.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I ordered the "real" version of Carole's book, but I'm thinking of getting the e-book version as well so I can do the same with the iPad beside the laptop.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michele said:

Even on Prime Day? 😢

That was the prime sale or maybe just a reg. sale. I'm not a prime member. It's around the price of LEE 216 diffusion paper I want for my photo studio, and weirdly, it will also last as long as Carole's bamboo.  And I'll get more use out of it.  One thing I'd love in a kindle is being able to read at night, while hubby is sleeping beside me yet not have to have a light one.  I got to say, that might be worth the price right there.

• Like 3

I have several novels going at the same time: the main one on my Kindle and then I also buy Chirp audiobooks for when I'm in the car and use the Kindle app on my iPhone when I need to wait for something away from home. The only thing I could never do was read while a passenger in the car - it makes me carsick! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I have several novels going at the same time: the main one on my Kindle and then I also buy Chirp audiobooks for when I'm in the car and use the Kindle app on my iPhone when I need to wait for something away from home. The only thing I could never do was read while a passenger in the car - it makes me carsick! 

I occasionally buy ebooks. I prefer Kindle over iBooks, but my main source is Libby through which you can download loans from your library. In my area, there are three libraries that I have access for loans--Cleveland Public, Cuyahoga and the State of Ohio. Covid gave us easier access by letting you sign up for a card online. They also have magazines, videos and audio books. Libby is a free app, and you can also download Kindle books.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Sometimes, when I'm sitting and waiting for appointments, I will use my iPhone to read the book that I have downloaded from the library, but I just can't get comfortable with the small size. I instead will carry my iPad with me if I know I have to wait around.

I love the Libby app. I also read while waiting for appointments. It makes the wait go so much faster.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

I occasionally buy ebooks. I prefer Kindle over iBooks, but my main source is Libby through which you can download loans from your library. In my area, there are three libraries that I have access for loans--Cleveland Public, Cuyahoga and the State of Ohio. Covid gave us easier access by letting you sign up for a card online. They also have magazines, videos and audio books. Libby is a free app, and you can also download Kindle books.

I love the State of Ohio eBook Project. Thankfully, my small county library system is a member and I can download the books I want to read.

I just put a book on hold... I'm #566 in line for a book that has 258 copies available. Guess everybody wants to read "Hillbilly Elegy"!

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

BTW, if you're a Prime member, you get a free book to download for your Kindle. There is usually a choice of about six different genres to pick from. Not bestsellers, but free is free. lol

• Like 2