June SKETCH Challenge (2024)

Cassel

Sketch190-2024-06

Learning scrapbooking is often done with practice, looking around for inspiration, and trying to recreate projects we admire. Sometimes, we can be inspired by finished projects, but sometimes, we also have to use our imagination to interpret something.

This challenge will allow you to envision something from a “boring” base, and you will have to imagine the end result differently. The sketch is only a written idea, and you can fly with it, modify it, and customize it to fit your vision, your photos, and your supplies.

Sketch060.jpg

And if you want more information on using sketches, check out this article.

Post your project in the gallery.

After finishing with the Vector Workshop I took a pause because we had such nice weather for a change. This was the first time this year we could sit outside in the evening, much welcome after all that terrible rain. But after a few days I wanted to see what the Argyle-2 script which I won is doing. I love it, it gives so many options qua colors that can be matched to a project. Of course I wanted to use it in a project and I took the Sketch and incorporated not only the argyle tiles but the photo corners freebie by Carole too. Those use the blogtrain color palette for this month and I have the freebie kits from Jessica Dunn and Marissa Lerin where all the elements are from. I don't know if it is clear in this reseized version but the background has a texture. The fonts are Crocus Monogram and Georgia and the photo is by me as usual.

Sketch-June-2024-600.jpg

• Love 6

6 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

After finishing with the Vector Workshop I took a pause because we had such nice weather for a change. This was the first time this year we could sit outside in the evening, much welcome after all that terrible rain. But after a few days I wanted to see what the Argyle-2 script which I won is doing. I love it, it gives so many options qua colors that can be matched to a project. Of course I wanted to use it in a project and I took the Sketch and incorporated not only the argyle tiles but the photo corners freebie by Carole too. Those use the blogtrain color palette for this month and I have the freebie kits from Jessica Dunn and Marissa Lerin where all the elements are from. I don't know if it is clear in this reseized version but the background has a texture. The fonts are Crocus Monogram and Georgia and the photo is by me as usual.

Sketch-June-2024-600.jpg

So beautiful Corrie.  I love those soft tinty colors.  At long last summer has arrived for you.  I think we had our two days of summer and now it's fall, with constant rain.  

• Like 1

Here the sketch I did.  Pretty much followed the sketch.  The three photos are mine (one was extracted- yellow dandelion).  The little tag was a vector shape I made in the first Vector Workshop.  I made frame by promoting the background layer and gave them a bevel.  the lines below the tag are the effect>cutout and i used a vector ellipse shape to have tapered ends.  It's the first time I made something I could use "Selection from Vector Object".  The background paper is a photo I did of dandelion seeds on a black background.  I first did negative image, then used a blend mode, then I think I used HSL and reduced the opacity or something like that.  the bottom tiling is a CASS punch (cass-Edge12), then a small inner bevel and small shadow which made it stand out more.  Fonts used are  Adorn Copperplate on the tag and Amanda Sunshine for the quote.  Both from Creative Fabrica.  My text tool was acting very strangely today.  I couldnt move it or resize it, it would just jump back to where it was.  Also I used cass-screwheads picture tube for the screw on the tag.  

I'm not sure about the quote.  I couldnt find any color that showed up well against the busy background.  I tried the paint behind technique but I did a dismal job at it so I used a layer style so the quote would at least be readable.

Sketch 190 June 2024-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
hit the post button too early
  • WOW 1
  • Love 5

14 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sketch-June-2024-600.jpg

Love the soft colors and how they point up the picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Here the sketch I did.  Pretty much followed the sketch.  The three photos are mine (one was extracted- yellow dandelion).  The little tag was a vector shape I made in the first Vector Workshop.  I made frame by promoting the background layer and gave them a bevel.  the lines below the tag are the effect>cutout and i used a vector ellipse shape to have tapered ends.  It's the first time I made something I could use "Selection from Vector Object".  The background paper is a photo I did of dandelion seeds on a black background.  I first did negative image, then used a blend mode, then I think I used HSL and reduced the opacity or something like that.  the bottom tiling is a CASS punch (cass-Edge12), then a small inner bevel and small shadow which made it stand out more.  Fonts used are  Adorn Copperplate on the tag and Amanda Sunshine for the quote.  Both from Creative Fabrica.  My text tool was acting very strangely today.  I couldnt move it or resize it, it would just jump back to where it was.  Also I used cass-screwheads picture tube for the screw on the tag.  

I'm not sure about the quote.  I couldnt find any color that showed up well against the busy background.  I tried the paint behind technique but I did a dismal job at it so I used a layer style so the quote would at least be readable.

Sketch 190 June 2024-600.jpg

This is great. All those cool details you added. I especially like those 3 cutout lines near the bottom. So clever. (BTW, I've learned to live with some "weeds", easier than pulling them over and over. A garden that is too manicured doesn't attract enough insects. (That's my rationalization.)

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Susan Ewart Yeah - I'm getting to like those layer styles.  They come in handy sometimes!

You did a great job as usual. I like those frames also. And the cutout strip at the bottom.

I like what you do with the layer styles.  You have good control.  I find I'm usually having to put it so low in the settings, wish there was more fine control on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

This is great. All those cool details you added. I especially like those 3 cutout lines near the bottom. So clever. (BTW, I've learned to live with some "weeds", easier than pulling them over and over. A garden that is too manicured doesn't attract enough insects. (That's my rationalization.)

I agree, and some weeds are quite pretty. I also have a bug hotel (very exclusive!), well, it's just some logs from the dead parts of a tree we had to cut off (now the tree is spindly but doing fabulous).  The Magpies keep eating the guests at the hotel! So, it's a stay-at-your-own-risk kind of hotel.  I'm lucky my hubby pulls the weeds, I don't because the neighbours cat does his business in the garden 😪. My husband has a stronger nose, and his icky-factor sense is higher than mine.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

the neighbours cat does his business in the garden 😪.

on this topic, I'm involved with TNR which is Trap/Neuter/Release of stray community cats that can never live indoors. When teaching kittens (who are able to be domesticated when they're young) to use a litter box, it is recommended to first use organic potting soil, which is similar to being outdoors. I know most cats prefer to be clean and I wonder if your local cat would use a litter pan instead of the garden if it had garden soil in it? They tend to prefer the confined space, which is why they love kids' sandboxes, too. You could add sand to it, and that might even be better and keep the cat out of your garden. Just slowly nudge it away a little further every day and before you know it your garden will be cat-free!😽

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

on this topic, I'm involved with TNR which is Trap/Neuter/Release of stray community cats that can never live indoors. When teaching kittens (who are able to be domesticated when they're young) to use a litter box, it is recommended to first use organic potting soil, which is similar to being outdoors. I know most cats prefer to be clean and I wonder if your local cat would use a litter pan instead of the garden if it had garden soil in it? They tend to prefer the confined space, which is why they love kids' sandboxes, too. You could add sand to it, and that might even be better and keep the cat out of your garden. Just slowly nudge it away a little further every day and before you know it your garden will be cat-free!😽

Good ideas.  Echo and his brother Zeppelin have been part of my backyard landscape since their owners moved in.  While I don't like it (especially when they try and attack my cats through the window screen and Zeppelin sprayed my downstairs window - with white frames, that are now spotchy yellow!), that they hunt in my yard and use it as a giant litter box (I dont care if they "go" in the bug hotel....the bugs probably think it's a feast), I want this to also be a cat-safe yard as we have lots of coyotes around here. And the neighbours are great people. We usually just knock on the window or go outside and call his name and he knows it's time to go home.  And I don't have weed...that's the main takeaway for me.  You'd almost think I planned it this way.  😁

I love what you are doing, it's so awesome that you take action and care for these disadvantaged cats.  It's sad to think they have to survive all the seasons, the predators and manage to feed themselves.  I'm glad my girls are safely inside!  the world outside for cats is scary.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

It's sad to think they have to survive all the seasons, the predators and manage to feed themselves.

Actually, I'm now feeding seven outside cats twice a day so any hunting they do is a supplement. We just trapped four of them: 3 boys were neutered and returned here. I have a "cat cabin" filled with straw on my front porch where I feed them, so they do have shelter even though the porch is also covered. The leftover female, Brandi, is still too young to spay so they're putting her in foster in hopes to domesticate her as she's quite friendly. I still have 3 more to trap including a surprise twin to Brandi that I'm calling Randi. It looks like i may have been feeding both all along and not realizing there were twins in the mix. Predators are mostly raccoons that do threaten newborn kittens. The rescue moves fast when they hear of a litter. No coyotes, thank goodness! I remember your neighbor's cat with the "sexy tail" from the last vector class! LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Before the month ends, I wanted to get something done for the Sketch Challenge. Only the pic is mine.

Background paper is from ET Designs; mask is called "watery" from Katie Pertiet. I wanted to use the CassPaintSplash mask, but I had too much trouble adjusting it for the photo. Other elements and things from my stash or online clipart.

We have dubbed out get-togethers at our friends' pool as Dip 'n Sip days.

2024 Jun sketch challenge pool_600.jpg

• Love 7

2 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Actually, I'm now feeding seven outside cats twice a day so any hunting they do is a supplement. We just trapped four of them: 3 boys were neutered and returned here. I have a "cat cabin" filled with straw on my front porch where I feed them, so they do have shelter even though the porch is also covered. The leftover female, Brandi, is still too young to spay so they're putting her in foster in hopes to domesticate her as she's quite friendly. I still have 3 more to trap including a surprise twin to Brandi that I'm calling Randi. It looks like i may have been feeding both all along and not realizing there were twins in the mix. Predators are mostly raccoons that do threaten newborn kittens. The rescue moves fast when they hear of a litter. No coyotes, thank goodness! I remember your neighbor's cat with the "sexy tail" from the last vector class! LOL

What you do, Ann, is what a friend of mine on a farm does. She is 85 and keeps saving feral (barn) cats, feeding them, then one by one taking them to be neutred/spayed to keep the population down. I help by doing some of the driving and buying food and treats. I would love to take one or two (since I lost my kitty last summer), but I have my hands (and budget) full with three dogs (2 older). Hats off to your big 🧡!

• Love 3

35 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Good ideas.  Echo and his brother Zeppelin have been part of my backyard landscape since their owners moved in.  While I don't like it (especially when they try and attack my cats through the window screen and Zeppelin sprayed my downstairs window - with white frames, that are now spotchy yellow!), that they hunt in my yard and use it as a giant litter box (I dont care if they "go" in the bug hotel....the bugs probably think it's a feast), I want this to also be a cat-safe yard as we have lots of coyotes around here. And the neighbours are great people. We usually just knock on the window or go outside and call his name and he knows it's time to go home.  And I don't have weed...that's the main takeaway for me.  You'd almost think I planned it this way.  😁

I love what you are doing, it's so awesome that you take action and care for these disadvantaged cats.  It's sad to think they have to survive all the seasons, the predators and manage to feed themselves.  I'm glad my girls are safely inside!  the world outside for cats is scary.

Love those names!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Love those names!

me too.  Echo is a grey tabby and Zeppelin (older now and does really wander anymore) is a black fuzzy long hair dude.  My black cat (Sumi) is in love with Echo, so you can imagine her surprise at him attacking the window screen (he's actually a chicken and make all these noises if a different cat comes into the 'hood).  we usually head out the door to stop the meeting.  They have a Chow named Jasper, barely ever hear him bark.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

So beautiful Corrie.  I love those soft tinty colors.  At long last summer has arrived for you.  I think we had our two days of summer and now it's fall, with constant rain.  

Thank you Susan, at the moment I tend to use soft colors instead of very bright ones. By the way we had a couple of summer days but tomorrow the weather is changing to rainy and cold days again...... I used this week's good weather to take a lot of photos from the plants on my little patio for future use. The plants were so happy with the sun, as we were.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Before the month ends, I wanted to get something done for the Sketch Challenge. Only the pic is mine.

Background paper is from ET Designs; mask is called "watery" from Katie Pertiet. I wanted to use the CassPaintSplash mask, but I had too much trouble adjusting it for the photo. Other elements and things from my stash or online clipart.

We have dubbed out get-togethers at our friends' pool as Dip 'n Sip days.

2024 Jun sketch challenge pool_600.jpg

Julie very nice! Maybe you can ask Carole for a demonstration of the PaintSplashMask script in the next Q&A. I think if you have some problems with it, there probably will be others too that like to see it in use. Those demos help so much in understanding the way a script works.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you Susan, at the moment I tend to use soft colors instead of very bright ones. By the way we had a couple of summer days but tomorrow the weather is changing to rainy and cold days again...... I used this week's good weather to take a lot of photos from the plants on my little patio for future use. The plants were so happy with the sun, as we were.

We also are heading back into to rain next week.  Should be sunny and in the high 20's (Celcius) by now.  the sun really helped my plants sprout up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1