May DIY Challenge (2024)

Cassel

DIY-Challenge.jpg

This challenge has had great success in the past so we can continue to have it on a regular basis, don’t you think?

Just like those “some assembly required” kits that you can buy for a shelf, a chair, or a picnic table, I am including a 3600×3600 pixels canvas with some shapes.

You HAVE to use the shapes in the size and proportions they are. You can move them, rotate them, flip them, and rearrange the layering if you want but you cannot resize them.

You need to use ALL the pieces but you can add more if you want.

So it is like all the pieces to build a DIY shelf: you cannot change the size of the pieces but you can use them creatively.

Obviously, you will want to recolor them or replace them with papers, photos, etc. We just need to be able to recognize the initial shapes.

Here is a preview of the shapes involved. The dashed shapes can be painted lines or stitches. The rectangles can be papers or photos. Remember that you CANNOT replace them. They are NOT placeholders. And that squiggly line? What will you do with it?

spacer.png

Click here to download the layered template.

Post your projects in the gallery.

Posted (edited)

I maintained  the sizes of all the  pieces.  As for the dashed shapes, I started of by trying to create  proper stitching, with holes and all, but  they proved to be  to small.  I opted for  creating an embossed  effect instead.  As for the squiggly line, which I'm not fussed on, I decided to create  alpha, weaving  the letters through the  line. I used two of the  pieces for journaling, and the other two, to create a sort of split photo. All the  original pieces are  clearly recognizable.  The framed ivy, is  one I created some time ago in gold, all  I had to do was to  colourize the ivy, and  frame.  As per usual I  used tutorials from the creative scrap on  the two journaling tags, to make them less boring.  Due to the  piece on the top left being  a little taller than the other two, I opted to tilt the pieces, so it wasn't  obvious.  Keeping everything exactly the same  size and recognizable is a  bit of a challenge, but none the less fun. 

Brown Thrasher DIY May challenge.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 13

26 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I maintained  the sizes of all the  pieces.  As for the dashed shapes, I started of by trying to create  proper stitching, with holes and all, but  they proved to be  to small.  I opted for  creating an embossed  effect instead.  As for the squiggly line, which I'm not fussed on, I decided to create  alpha, weaving  the letter through the  line. I used two of the  pieces for journaling, and the other two, to create a sort of split photo.  The framed ivy, is  one I created some time ago in gold, all  I had to do was to  colourize the ivy, and  frame.  As per usual I  used tutorials from the creative scrap on  the two journaling tags, to make them less boring.  Due to the  piece on the top left being  a little taller than the other two, I opted to tilt the pieces, so it wasn't  obvious.  Keeping everything exactly the same  size is a  bit of a challenge, but none the less fun. 

As usual, you have come up with a great creative way to use this page.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

As usual, you have come up with a great creative way to use this page.

That is very kind of you. I do appreciate it. Are you going to take up the  challenge? If so, I look forward to seeing your page.

13 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I maintained  the sizes of all the  pieces.  As for the dashed shapes, I started of by trying to create  proper stitching, with holes and all, but  they proved to be  to small.  I opted for  creating an embossed  effect instead.  As for the squiggly line, which I'm not fussed on, I decided to create  alpha, weaving  the letters through the  line. I used two of the  pieces for journaling, and the other two, to create a sort of split photo.  The framed ivy, is  one I created some time ago in gold, all  I had to do was to  colourize the ivy, and  frame.  As per usual I  used tutorials from the creative scrap on  the two journaling tags, to make them less boring.  Due to the  piece on the top left being  a little taller than the other two, I opted to tilt the pieces, so it wasn't  obvious.  Keeping everything exactly the same  size is a  bit of a challenge, but none the less fun. 

Sue a lovely page and you were quick in making it! As usual you have set the bar pretty high. I like how you used the curly line and I'm glad with your remark about the the dashed lines. Stitching was what came into my mind as well, so I will happily discard that idea!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was rather surprised to meet the crested flycatcher for the first time! A "lifer" for me. The sparrows hop around under my feeders all the time. I grouped all the rectangles and squares, doubling up on some, to create the two photo areas. I used the cass-curved photo script. The dashed lines I colored white and used the inner bevel and a shadow. I pulled some pieces from Melissa Lerin's Boozy Wine kit, using the papers as background and to add a dash of color to the coiled cord, which I doubled and wove through the titles (thanks for the tip, Sue!) I also got the tape strips from the kit and colorized them. The titles are from the script cass-stacked-wooden-alpha using Copperplate Gothic as the base. This script is a lot of fun but also a lot of work! I intend to go ahead and create a full set of alphabets from it in all the color choices. They will be easier to manipulate in the future. I used the #3 Date Stamp script with the Ink Free font. The flight of birds top right are marked digidebdesigns_birds1 in my stash. I've been playing with this for two days with a combo of fun and a little frustration! 

DIY-2024-05-BIRDS-WCSPARROW-CR.FLYCATCHER_600.jpg

• Love 7

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sue a lovely page and you were quick in making it! As usual you have set the bar pretty high. I like how you used the curly line and I'm glad with your remark about the the dashed lines. Stitching was what came into my mind as well, so I will happily discard that idea!

Thank  you Corrie, coming from you that is quite the compliment.  As over a relatively short period of time in the Campus,  compared to more seasoned  Campus members, your work has evolved into something quite spectacular, as  have so many others.

Yes, I started off with the   best intentions of doing stitching.  Had I been allowed to make the stitching much larger, it would have been feasible.  The embossed effect  is a good substitute.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I used photos from our family celebration (baby party) in early May. The template is from Cassel, the photos of me and my siblings (with permission), the scrap elements are all from the DS forum, the Wisteria paper is from Creative Fabrica.

large.DS-Familienfeier24_650px.jpg.7668e9bd94d4ad56bd54ef079c7cfb56.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I maintained  the sizes of all the  pieces.  As for the dashed shapes, I started of by trying to create  proper stitching, with holes and all, but  they proved to be  to small.  I opted for  creating an embossed  effect instead.  As for the squiggly line, which I'm not fussed on, I decided to create  alpha, weaving  the letters through the  line. I used two of the  pieces for journaling, and the other two, to create a sort of split photo. All the  original pieces are  clearly recognizable.  The framed ivy, is  one I created some time ago in gold, all  I had to do was to  colourize the ivy, and  frame.  As per usual I  used tutorials from the creative scrap on  the two journaling tags, to make them less boring.  Due to the  piece on the top left being  a little taller than the other two, I opted to tilt the pieces, so it wasn't  obvious.  Keeping everything exactly the same  size and recognizable is a  bit of a challenge, but none the less fun. 

I'm trying to find the tutorial or class that shows how to weave in and out like that. I just can't get it right when I do it. And you're so masterful at it!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank  you Corrie, coming from you that is quite the compliment.  As over a relatively short period of time in the Campus,  compared to more seasoned  Campus members, your work has evolved into something quite spectacular, as  have so many others.

Yes, I started off with the   best intentions of doing stitching.  Had I been allowed to make the stitching much larger, it would have been feasible.  The embossed effect  is a good substitute.

Sue thank you and I have to quote you in stating that this compliment coming from you means a lot to me! If and when I have time I will give this DIY a go, because it is a challenge I love.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I'm trying to find the tutorial or class that shows how to weave in and out like that. I just can't get it right when I do it. And you're so masterful at it!

It's in the hints and tips.  Give me a minute and I will send you the link.

• Like 2

I have been playing with the PSP  kaleidoscope and used this USA Flag for some.  I also made a simple square red white and blue paper.  I used the magic wand on the dashes and flood filled it with that paper.  I did have to do it twice to get the vertical line right. I also did that for the squiggle. The background paper was one I had saved fro somewhere and I added the R-W-B background to it.

MY DIY-2024-05.pspimage     done 6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late but I had so many other things to do first, like the card workshop and the photo album about my trip. Both are finished now, my album is at the print service and they estimate it will be ready on Saturday. I like the DIY challenges so I did this about the visit to Yosemite National Park. The waterfalls were spectacular because in Spring they carry a lot of water from the melting snow. The background is a full size photo of one of the falls with a heavy blur and the blendmode color, the paper underneath was a muted green. On the rectangle with the word Yosemite I used a holiday punch from Carole because when I was there we had snow as well as rain and sunshine. The 2 smaller rectangles are papers glued together with some washi tape by Marissa Lerin which I have in my stash. I gave the dots a color and a slight bevel. 

DIY-may-2024-600.jpg

• Love 6

44 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

A bit late but I had so many other things to do first, like the card workshop and the photo album about my trip. Both are finished now, my album is at the print service and they estimate it will be ready on Saturday. I like the DIY challenges so I did this about the visit to Yosemite National Park. The waterfalls were spectacular because in Spring they carry a lot of water from the melting snow. The background is a full size photo of one of the falls with a heavy blur and the blendmode color, the paper underneath was a muted green. On the rectangle with the word Yosemite I used a holiday punch from Carole because when I was there we had snow as well as rain and sunshine. The 2 smaller rectangles are papers glued together with some washi tape by Marissa Lerin which I have in my stash. I gave the dots a color and a slight bevel. 

DIY-may-2024-600.jpg

Love the background (and the photos), and just everything about this layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

DIY-may-2024-600.jpg

I have to agree with Julie, everything about this layout is absoloutly superb!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

DIY-may-2024-600.jpg

Amazing layout, Corrie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

large.2024414WillowPoppyDIY-2024-05600.jpg.5feac682b086ef37ba74a15172f87584.jpg

My friend, Michelle, will soon be a grandmother! This layout features her daughter (Mother To Be) and son-in-law at their baby shower. Michelle teases her daughter about the baby's name (none has been selected as yet). Michelle calls her (the baby is a girl) Willow Poppy. The blanket near the center was crocheted by Willow Poppy's paternal grandmother. The stork is by Sheila Reid, Oh, Baby, Baby, Digital Scrapbooking, 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

17 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2024414WillowPoppyDIY-2024-05600.jpg.5feac682b086ef37ba74a15172f87584.jpg

My friend, Michelle, will soon be a grandmother! This layout features her daughter (Mother To Be) and son-in-law at their baby shower. Michelle teases her daughter about the baby's name (none has been selected as yet). Michelle calls her (the baby is a girl) Willow Poppy. The blanket near the center was crocheted by Willow Poppy's paternal grandmother. The stork is by Sheila Reid, Oh, Baby, Baby, Digital Scrapbooking, 

Bonnie this is so cute! Have you showed or given this layout to your friend?

• Cassel unpinned this topic