May ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - Food

Cassel

AAM-Challenge.jpg

Let's continue this new challenge. We might often be the ones taking pictures but we are not the feature of our layouts, so let's change that since we ARE important and we have lots to say.

Every month or so, the layout will be about YOU, and a prompt will be given. If you have taken the Story Week Challenge, you will find some similarities but it won't be the same.

For the May layout, tell us something about a special food of your youth. Did you have a favorite food? Special treats? An unusual recipe from grandma? Or maybe a particular food you disliked? Food is part of our lives every single day, so there surely is something to talk about.

Remember that if you want to create pages for previous prompts, those threads will stay open for you. There is no right or wrong order to share about you.

5 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

This was created for the storytime workshop. It is still my favorite cake. 

large.2022828MomsChocolateCakeStoryTime-Challenge-Day5600.jpg.8c7a6422dffec6d0308f446374dc5eb5.jpg

I too was picky as a kid. I wouldn't eat my mother's famous carrot cake with cream cheese frosting b/c of the carrots and cheese! I missed out on a lot of good slices for many years! That's what your reminiscence made me think of.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

My Mom was a good cook, but sometimes she would treat us (and herself) to a chocolate treat. 

Moms chocolate breafast and lunch  6.jpg

Oh yum! PB and chocolate spread. Still indulge in that once in a while....and on white bread too.

On 5/11/2024 at 5:44 PM, Julie Magerka said:

Oh yum! PB and chocolate spread. Still indulge in that once in a while....and on white bread too.

Try dunking kit kats in peanut butter...YUM!

• Love 3

Well I can better answer this question before I forget to do so. Again I have no pictures of layouts about this topic, but I can write a short story. I have told before that I grew up in the postwar years in Rotterdam. That period was, certainly in the first years of my life, still a period of sparseness and hard working families. I luckily wasn't very picky about food, but disliked (or I should say hated) rice. Every time that came on the table I flatly refused to eat it and that always provoked a speech from my parents about the hunger they endured in the last year of the war where they had to eat tulip bulbs to stay alive! It has taken me more than 50 years to overcome my dislike of rice, nowadays I will eat it but it never will be a favorite of mine! 

The best memories about food I have of my dad baking pancakes or apple pie. He had learned backing from his older sister and liked to bake, which my mam didn't. My mam was born in the wrong era, had she lived now she probably would have made a nice career for herself and it wouldn't be that of a housewife! I think she was unhappy in that role, however she loved my dad.  

• Love 4

14 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Again I have no pictures of layouts about this topic, but I can write a short story.

You can make a layout without any photo! Those are still fun layouts to enjoy!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I buy giant bags of Kit Kat minis. So I will try your recipe!

I get the minis, too. Just dunk them right into the peanut butter jar! 

• Haha 1

My take on the food challenge this month is a bit different. I was a picky eater as a kid, but I grew out of most of my finicky habits. Instead of a focus on what I liked, I've highlighted what turned me off big time! I was a small town girl, and the farm life at my grandmother's was not suitable for my tender sensibilities. 😏

I made the photo"frame" based on something I saw by Marisa Lerin and made it a sort of mask. The image came from a google search.

I did attempt to make a pennant with the word CHICKENS but I had so many problems with it, I gave up! I will try another day.....

2024 May Food layout_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

My grandmother kept chickens too. Saturday the oldest hen was taken to the chopping block and was hung upside down on the back porch to drain the blood. Sunday was chicken and polenta. I'll have to admit that I did eat the chicken on Sunday as I wiped out Saturday's view from my mind.

• Like 1

The Day I learned that animals are food too!

My family for years had gotten their fertilizer from a farm nearby our beach house in Maryland. They had become quite friendly over the years and around the age of seven I had my first introduction to Uncle Ben and Aunt Betty. Their grandson of about age thirteen was told to show me around the farm. He first showed me the horseshoe crabs that lived in the marsh and then we headed to the barn. They had cows and horses and a cute donkey. One of the cows called Betsy had a baby cow or what he said was a calf named Lucy beside her.  We took them out into the pasture and played with little Lucy. It was close to sundown and my family called me as it was time to return home with an invite to our family to come next week for dinner.

The following week we got there at dinner time and what a spread it was. 

I was happily munching away when their grandson asked me, "how does Lucy taste to you?"

• WOW 3
  • Sad 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic