What are you working on (in May 2024)?

Cassel

Thank you Carole for your OpenHouse. Although I didn't join in the interactive activities, I did manage to get into some of the tutorials. Going over ones I had seen before also helps to refresh techniques I find. It is bank holiday weekend here in UK so lots of other things going on for people but it is good to be able to self indulge with your PSP.

The technique that really caught my attention was the Circular Element where you take a flat element like a ribbon and turn it into a circular frame.

The first one I made as an exercise was using a ribbon from cass-RibbonFactoryC-Spring from Creation Cassel and made a circular frame to go around the thumbnail image of the ribbon pack.

RibbonFactory.jpg

• Love 7

Then my imagination got going so I used a couple of my photos that I took in South Africa a few years back, one being of a painted, dilapidated, corrugated iron wall. The colours caught my attention at the time and it has been useful to use as a neutral background for other images. This time I made a rectangular selection strip from it (like a flat ribbon) and carried out the Circular Elements technique to make a circular frame around another photo that I took not far from the wall. Because of the irregular pattern of the paintwork, the circular elements join up line in the frame is not much of a distraction.

combined.jpg

• Love 8

49 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I like that frame. Have you tried using inner bevel on it? I'm curious as to what that would look like.

Hi Rene, I think I know what could be achieved by that...to make the frame look a bit like a tyre? I like the idea (and thank you for your interest) but am out of my depth on how to do it. I have tried making a selection and then using the Inner Bevel command but nothing seems to register. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, fiona cook said:

Hi Rene, I think I know what could be achieved by that...to make the frame look a bit like a tyre? I like the idea (and thank you for your interest) but am out of my depth on how to do it. I have tried making a selection and then using the Inner Bevel command but nothing seems to register. Any suggestions?

You don't have to make a selection to use the inner bevel. As long as the frame is on its on layer, you just go to Affects/3D Affects/Inner Bevel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rene Marker said:

You don't have to make a selection to use the inner bevel. As long as the frame is on its on layer, you just go to Affects/3D Affects/Inner Bevel.

Is it possible it's a vector shape? That would keep the effect from working. Just convert to raster and it should work.

• Like 2

I wanted to try something different (for me at any rate). Used all elements but 2 from Di Hiller kits which tend to be in vibrant colours. This is my take on the "table" layout that Carole highlighted. Just silly, whimsical, and colourful for the month of May when colour comes back.

2024 May garden di hiller.jpg

• Love 8

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Is it possible it's a vector shape? That would keep the effect from working. Just convert to raster and it should work.

I don't use vector shapes much so I wouldn't know. Not sure how she did it either. I've used the inner bevel on elements from bought kits which would have been png files on a raster layer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Posted (edited)

Looking at what Fiona created, I don't think it would have been a vector. I suspect she used Polar coordinates effects to create the circle.  There are other techniques, but I would use  the polar coordinates.  There is also a circular element script.  Rene is right, you don't have to use the selection tool to create a bevel. Make sure you have the right layer selected. 

You did a great job Fiona!

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 11:33 AM, Rene Marker said:

I haven't been scrapping much lately but took time last night to do a layout for a challenge at The Lily Pad. Main requirement was to use a template by Scrapping with Liz (she gives a free template upon completion). To post the layout in their gallery you need to use a kit sold by a designer in their store (retired kits are OK to use). So all my supplies for the layout are from The Lily Pad: SWL Recyclables 79 template (deleted a photo spot) and Forever Joy's Dog Tails.

Instructions for the layout:

1. An odd number of photos (1, 3, 5, etc.)
2. At least one background paper with pink on it
3. At least one other paper/paper piece with yellow on it
4. At least one blue round element (can be button, flower, word art, etc.)
5. At least one orange word (can be title, date, journaling, word art, etc.)

If you posted in the thread before the challenge started, you could delete one of the instructions if desired. I deleted #5.

The dog was actually a flat paper element as was the word strip. I used an inner bevel on both of them and like the result, especially on the dog. I think it looks like a magnet!

2024 0414 Peyton.jpg

Don't mind me but I have to brag on myself... The designer of the kit I used (Forever Joy at The LilyPad), has added this layout to her Pinterest board where she highlights layouts done with her products! This is a first for me with her products!

Forever Joy

• Love 6

On 5/5/2024 at 8:58 AM, Ann Seeber said:

Here's what I've been distracted by recently. I was a bit astounded to find a parrot at my bird feeders! All the supplies came from Marisa Lerin, mostly from her Template 530 and Bolivia Mini-Kit. The title font is Algerian, and the text font is Agency. I'd like to introduce you to the Quaker Parrot "Sweetie Pie".

QUAKER PARROT 05-02-24_600.jpg

What a surprise this must have been.  Ann you are a good steward of all things "critter".  I hope this little guy can survive or be reunited with his human family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:54 AM, fiona cook said:

Now got rid of the corner of the image sticking out of the frame. Didn't notice at first because of the excitement of the technique working!

ironRingShip.jpg

Fiona, this is fabulous.  that corrugated wall photo is STUNNING! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Don't mind me but I have to brag on myself... The designer of the kit I used (Forever Joy at The LilyPad), has added this layout to her Pinterest board where she highlights layouts done with her products! This is a first for me with her products!

Forever Joy

That's awesome Rene.  And so she should, your layouts are always superbly executed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I wanted to try something different (for me at any rate). Used all elements but 2 from Di Hiller kits which tend to be in vibrant colours. This is my take on the "table" layout that Carole highlighted. Just silly, whimsical, and colourful for the month of May when colour comes back.

2024 May garden di hiller.jpg

This is adorable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Forever Joy

You have every reason to be proud of yourself. Congratulations!

• Like 2

I had a couple of new bird sightings according to my Merlin app so I used the photos for a layout based on a template by Marisa Larin. It seems to use the "table" concept that Carole mentioned since I rotated the entire template 90 degrees. It was a treat to see this bright yellow warbler!

yellow warbler and song sparrow_600.jpg

• Love 7

Posted (edited)

Many of the native sparrow species have already arrived.  Much to my delight the White -crowned Sparrows turned up  yesterday.  I was pleased to welcome them back.  A perfect opportunity to  create a banner after watching the live masterclass on Sunday.   The sparrows of the open field will stay, those like the White crowned will  move on further north.  

I used a gradient which I created  for the pennants using colours from the photo,  and the light coloured  wood frame

Sparrow White crowned.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 8

large.202429InTheSaddleTemplate-Lab14-04600.jpg.2c76db6fde0542757ca4498287b06659.jpg

Template from Lab 14-04. Texas Roadhouse would not seat us until our full party had arrived. The waiting room was frigid so we waited across from the register. Didn't take us long to look for michief. The birthday saddle provided distraction while we waited.

• Haha 4
  • Love 3