Quick-Page Workshop - April 2024

Cassel

18 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Interesting stuff, I didn't know.  I just dealt with baled hay and straw for stalls (for the momma's and babies not for the racehorses...they'd eat the straw, they had to be on shavings).  

All horses like to pick  through straw, straw bedding should always  be wheat straw and no other, especially not Barley. Since silage and haylage took off, it has been the preffered roughage  for horses, as unless hay is properly made, it's dust/spores can cause  breathing problems  such as COPD.  The same goes  for  dusty straw bedding. It is also more nutritious  than hay.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

All haylage and silage bales have to be wrapped, due to the higher  moisture content to keep the air out otherwise the feed can be contaminated with botulism, which is a bacteria that likes the higher moisture, which can kill live stock and horses.  Haylage is  dryer than  silage, ideal for horses.  We did both, round and square  bales and  silage pits, which  would be compressed down with heavy equipment, and covered.  Unwrapped bales would be  straight forward hay.  Just thought I'd tell you.

Thank you, Sue. I didn't know that.

Kittens are such a delight, these kittens belonged to friends.
Busy-QP6_600x600_Kittens_jeni.jpg.d951d6e42ff081e9e62e0a2e34a4361e.jpg

Photographs of roses. I do love the scent of roses.
I'm unsure how to re-colour some elements, so I just did the piece I could easily change.
marisa-lerin_600x600_roses_jeni.jpg.b6660561bcea340cad40bd817557f7fd.jpg

Photos of friends taken back in the 80's. 
QP-Non-Scrap_600x600_friends_jeni.jpg.f3d0e45c831c3972e97084550580e6fb.jpg

• Love 6

22 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

And the non-scrap for lesson 6.  I changed the background with Adjust>Color and Adjust>HueSaturationLightness to contrast with the blues, whites, and greys of the pictures.

QP-Non-Scrap-6_600.jpg

I like the color contrast, Mary. I am having trouble trying to read your text in this reduced version. Could you post it separately? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 7   I spent a lot of my time deciding which pictures I should use and revising the template to match my colors. I think that is why I don't like quickpages unless they are layered. The photo are my  own taken while visiting Las Vegas and the Valley of Fire. Las Vegas has the Ethel M candy factory which has a beautiful cactus garden, not to mentions the best chocolates. Ethel M is the upscale brand of chocolates from the Mars family, Ethel being the mother. The font is a colored font from Creative Fabrica and does not work in Paintshop. They had a bonus file of pngs which I used for the title. The font does work in Photoshop, even my old one.

dsdesertbloom600.jpg

• Love 6

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I like the color contrast, Mary. I am having trouble trying to read your text in this reduced version. Could you post it separately? Thanks!

OK, Ann.  This is a picture of the sign in the park. I will post first @ 800 px to see if it goes.  I cropped it from one of Laurie's photos which are really huge to begin with.

Snowy River Sign_800.jpg

• Love 3

On to lesson 7. These are a few of the pictures of the trip my brother and I took to the Glass Bridge in Arizona. It was a great trip and this was the final destination of that trip. We were gone from home about 3 weeks and enjoyed many stops on the way (followed Route 66 from St. Louis, MO to Miami, Oklahoma) and left the old road and continued on I-40. I will post the picture of Eagle Point separate because you can't see what is on the sign in the QP. And, that is 4,000 feet above the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

The title font is GranaPadano, the journal font is Arial.

QP7-GlassBridge_600.jpg

Eagle Point Sign_600.jpg

• Love 7

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

On to lesson 7. These are a few of the pictures of the trip my brother and I took to the Glass Bridge in Arizona. It was a great trip and this was the final destination of that trip. We were gone from home about 3 weeks and enjoyed many stops on the way (followed Route 66 from St. Louis, MO to Miami, Oklahoma) and left the old road and continued on I-40. I will post the picture of Eagle Point separate because you can't see what is on the sign in the QP. And, that is 4,000 feet above the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

The title font is GranaPadano, the journal font is Arial.

QP7-GlassBridge_600.jpg

Eagle Point Sign_600.jpg

Mary, my husband and I visited the glass bridge several years ago. The whole reservation was amazing. Walking the glass bridge was so frightening especially because I am afraid of heights. But, at least I did it, my husband chickened out.

GrandCanyonWest.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

Mary, my husband and I visited the glass bridge several years ago. The whole reservation was amazing. Walking the glass bridge was so frightening especially because I am afraid of heights. But, at least I did it, my husband chickened out.

GrandCanyonWest.jpg

I, too, am afraid of heights.  But - if my brother was going to do it, by golly, I sure was going to do it!  Bravo to you! I loved the singing cowboy.  I stopped and listened to him (noone else was) and I asked him if he knew any of the old cowboy songs - Water, Tumbling Tumble Weeds - he did and so he serenaded me!

• Love 2

This photo by Irv Richardson was posted on the Substack: "Letters from an American" by the historian, Dr. Heather Cox Richardson. He is her brother. It was taken in Maine, where they are based. The title font is Segoe and treated to an inner bevel and shadow. 

QP-LESSON 7-RAINBOW IN MAINE BY IRV RICHARDSON_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 7

In Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand, we have a beautiful large space for all to enjoy, children, sportspeople, gardeners.
The park is a mecca for those who enjoy the natural and the planned. Its numerous gardens and botanical attractions provide vibrant displays whatever the season.
Busy-QP7_600x600_QueensPark_jeni.jpg.18b2f333489e20742751074301ae1d3a.jpg

I love Demolition World in Invercargill.
Although the business sells pieces from demolished buildings, windows, doors, lighting, corrugated iron, etc, Lee and Dave have created a wonderful retro village.
For years I have used an image I grunged up as my avatar online, and the mannequins are a delight, as are the gorgeous plastic clothes hangers found in the village, 2nd and 3rd from the left in my image below. 
marisa-lerin_QP_600x600_DemolitionWorld_jeni.jpg.1a057c855d1720ac728b89e3592284e1.jpg

I had a few photographs that might have gone in this no-scrap image, however, I thought they would all compete against each other, so I used alternate spaces with scrap paper instead. The area is on the Southern Scenic Highway, through Tautuku [pronounced similar to toe-too-koo] and on towards Owaka and onward to Dunedin, Otago.
Through the bush are some beautiful sights, the magnificent Tautuky Beach and McLeans Falls, and Cathedral Caves where there is a slim chance of wandering along the beach to walk to the caves. They are only open for a short time each day. I used hue saturation and lightness to match the colours of the photographs used.

QP-Non-Scrap_600x600_Tautuku_jeni.jpg.8e795d6c91724384f98593b7065639f0.jpg

These quick pages have been fun to create.
Thanks, Carole, and everyone, I've loved the creations of everyone.
Jeni

• Love 7

Day 7 Diamond Extra

Photos from 2022 when the world was being contained (or were we coming out of containment by then?) I started doing flower flat-lays and well, I contained them too.  I had to buy the flowers as I have never grown them before.  2023 was my breakout year for learning to grow flowers.  

Font is Gill Sans Ultra bold (formerly from Microsoft) that I had to scoop off my laptop since Windows 10 didn't have it anymore.  I used the technique we learned in the Text Workshop (and there is a blog post on it too) where the outline can be used separately, which I added a bevel too.  

Side note:  I think my brain has turned to mush.  My shadows, even at 80% have been looking soft and lighter and I thought, oh oh, something is wrong with my eyes.  Today I just noticed the shadow color wasn't black but a dark grey.  Geez, when did I change that and why?  

Day 7 Diamond QP- Contained-600.jpg

• Love 7

28 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 7 Diamond Extra

Photos from 2022 when the world was being contained (or were we coming out of containment by then?) I started doing flower flat-lays and well, I contained them too.  I had to buy the flowers as I have never grown them before.  2023 was my breakout year for learning to grow flowers.  

Font is Gill Sans Ultra bold (formerly from Microsoft) that I had to scoop off my laptop since Windows 10 didn't have it anymore.  I used the technique we learned in the Text Workshop (and there is a blog post on it too) where the outline can be used separately, which I added a bevel too.  

Side note:  I think my brain has turned to mush.  My shadows, even at 80% have been looking soft and lighter and I thought, oh oh, something is wrong with my eyes.  Today I just noticed the shadow color wasn't black but a dark grey.  Geez, when did I change that and why?  

Those are so pretty, Suz! I wasn't a fan of this layout but you've "contained" it well! 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Those are so pretty, Suz! I wasn't a fan of this layout but you've "contained" it well! 😉

Thank you so much Ann.  I initially liked it, but then realized how much the details get lost in such small boxes.  Love your pun BTW.  Gave me a laugh.  

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 7 Diamond Extra

Your flower flat lays are absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see them closer up. Can you post a few of them by themselves so we can see the details?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Michele said:

Your flower flat lays are absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see them closer up. Can you post a few of them by themselves so we can see the details?

Thank you so much Michele, here they come.

2253 cropped-500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5