Are you ready for an Eclipse

James Durrant

No not a drawn one. The one of the Sun.

I have just read a report that advises of a Total Solar Eclipse on 8th April 2024. The area of totality travels from Mexico over the USA to Canada .

Sorry Carole it looks as though it will miss you by a couple of miles !!   I am too far away in the UK to see any of this Eclipse.

To find the track of the Moon's shadow just search  Great  American Eclispe 2024 on the internet.

Will it touch anybody else ?

Edited by James Durrant
Typing error corrected Date

It is actually on April 8th, and it will be very close to here so we plan on driving an hour to get on the central part of the total eclipse path. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

I can sit in my front yard to see it. I'm in Ohio. My cousin that lives in southeast Ohio is bringing her 2 granddaughters up for the weekend and to see the eclipse on Monday. They are so excited about it.

All the schools in the area built the day off into their school calendar. The buses would be on the roads during the time leading up to the actual almost 4 minutes of the eclipse. My town is also expecting up to 70,000 people coming to see it (traffic nightmares for a town of 9,000). Estimates for the county are up to 130,000. The county only has 45,000 in population. The reason my town is expected to be the place to be is because it is the hometown of Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon. We have a museum in town that is all things space and actually looks like a moon! The town is going all out with various events scheduled from Thursday to Monday. The city and county officials have put out lots of information about what to expect with the influx of people in town. They also suggest that we do all our grocery shopping, getting gas for the vehicles, prescriptions refilled etc before the weekend. Another thing they have talked about is the fact that the cell towers will be swamped with people trying to connect so service could be intermittent. They did say that if you can, we should connect our phones to wi-fi so that we would still have access in case of emergency. It really is interesting everything that the officials have been doing. They've been working on this for over 2 years to make sure they have everything covered.

I can't wait!!!

Here is a layout I did for a challenge at The Lily Pad in January that shows the path through Ohio.

20240118 MOC Soco.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 3

large.2017SolarEclipse600.jpg.7a23286086a5ccf5a48820374ab0f13b.jpgAugust 21, 2017...the eclipse was longest in SC. People flocked to the state. I live in VA but SC is home. I decided not to go down because of the crowds. These are friends of mine who live in SC...on their back deck...its great when you live at an event and don't have to travel.

• Like 3

Hi James,

we last had a total solar eclipse in Germany in August 1999, which we enjoyed with our neighbors on the terrace. The next total SF shouldn't be until 2081, on Lake Constance.
However, there will be a partial SoFi in northern Germany in 2025.
Wikipedia lists complete and partial SoFi's in the world from 2003 to 2097.
I'll have to look for the photos and do a scrap with them.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_zentren_Sonnenfinsternisse_in_Europa_im_21._ Jahrhundert

Edit 05.04 24:

My SoFi-Scrap is here down👇

Edited by Doska St.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a great site that can list all the cities in the path of totality, but also those who will experience partial eclipse. It shows what you will see in various cities:

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/index.php

I found out that my hometown will see 99.56% totality, so we are just out of the full path, so we will drive to Miramichi, which will be close to the center of the path, where we can get 3.5 minutes of totality (weather permitting).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Right now the weather forecast for me is 65F and cloudy skies. I was talking to someone that says even if it is cloudy you will experience the darkness that comes along with the eclipse. They went to a talk given by a person that has seen many solar eclipses (the guy goes all over the world to see them) and that is what he shared with them about the experience. Evidently he has been to them in all weather conditions!

My cousin, her husband and their 2 granddaughters are coming in Sunday morning to avoid the traffic issues on Monday morning. A different cousin is friends with a state highway patrolman and the patrolman is saying that anyone that is driving in from out of town should fill up their gas tank before they come because there could be issues with gasoline availability on the 8th! My cousin and I discussed food and we will be eating at my house both days so we don't have to deal with traffic in town or the extremely busy fast food places.

Quite a few businesses in town are closing that day if they don't deal directly with the public (like fast food restaurants and gas stations). Other businesses might be open but will close at noon so that their employees can see the eclipse where they want.

• Love 1

In 1999 we didn't had a total eclipse like Doska in Germany; it was a partial one and nevertheless it was impressive. It was a sunny day and suddenly it started to get darker, the birds stopped singing, everything got really quiet and later when the light got brighter the birds started to move around, dogs were barking again. The next partial eclipse in 2025 will be visible in the Netherlands too and when by chance the weather doesn't cooperate there will be another partial one in 2026 that will be visible in Belgium and the Netherlands. But I'm still sorry that I can't watch this total eclipse on my birthday, that would have made it even more special. So I wish all of you who are able to go a fantastic one of a lifetime experience. I hope we will get some lovely scrapbook pages of it! Enjoy and have fun!

• Love 1

I was watching a report saying that eastern Canada will likely be in the clear for the eclipse, while most of the USA will be covered. Yay for me, but what a bummer for those who assumed that USA had better chances of viewing and are flying there!

Nothing is 100% accurate when it comes to weather, but crossing fingers as it is looking good for us.

• Like 1

This morning the chance of rain for me was up to 25% in the afternoon hours starting around 2 p.m with temps in the 50's. Totality is at 3:10 p.m. I just looked before hopping on here and it is down to 20%. Temp now listed at 63. So it is ever changing. If the weather isn't good, we'll just have a party anyways!

• Love 2

28 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

This morning the chance of rain for me was up to 25% in the afternoon hours starting around 2 p.m with temps in the 50's. Totality is at 3:10 p.m. I just looked before hopping on here and it is down to 20%. Temp now listed at 63. So it is ever changing. If the weather isn't good, we'll just have a party anyways!

hopefully, it holds for you!

• Love 1

The good news: It is supposed to pass directly over my home. The bad news: early weather reports indicate rain Monday. This will be my third eclipse in my lifetime. As a kid in the 60's one passed over my hometown in Pennsylvania. Then I was in Nebraska in 2017 when another took place.  Attached is a photo showing the area one hour before the eclipse, during, and a few minutes after, Fascinating. When the eclipse took place, everything went so quiet. Dogs, birds, insects all went silent.

eclipse contrast small.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 3
  • Love 1

We live in Belton TX which is right next to Temple TX and in the path of the eclipse..My husband will watch it with his solar eclipse glasses. I am not able ti watch it due to the sensitivity and problems with my eyes and  I do not want to take  a chance even with the special glasses.The fur-kitties and I will be inside and I will calm them if they think it is too early to get that dark outside. Quite a few years ago we watched the eclipse in Germany when visiting my Mom. We watched it from her balcony. It was amazing. I will check if I have any pictures. I remember it got very dark and quiet in the city.

• Like 2

I'm not near the totality either and I will be working so I'll watching through all your posts when I get home.  I remember living in this same city when I was in junior high and going outside to see the eclipse(with some contraptions, we made out of milk cartons, in school) . Here's what I googled.  I actually start work at Noon on Mondays so I'll be walking into the building right about then.    

What time is the eclipse in Edmonton?

In Edmonton, the partial eclipse is expected to begin at 11:54 a.m. on April 8. At 12:46 p.m., the event will be in “mid-eclipse” phase while the partial eclipse is expected to end at 1:39 p.m.7 days ago

On 3/20/2024 at 3:27 PM, Rene Marker said:

I can sit in my front yard to see it. I'm in Ohio. My cousin that lives in southeast Ohio is bringing her 2 granddaughters up for the weekend and to see the eclipse on Monday. They are so excited about it.

All the schools in the area built the day off into their school calendar. The buses would be on the roads during the time leading up to the actual almost 4 minutes of the eclipse. My town is also expecting up to 70,000 people coming to see it (traffic nightmares for a town of 9,000). Estimates for the county are up to 130,000. The county only has 45,000 in population. The reason my town is expected to be the place to be is because it is the hometown of Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon. We have a museum in town that is all things space and actually looks like a moon! The town is going all out with various events scheduled from Thursday to Monday. The city and county officials have put out lots of information about what to expect with the influx of people in town. They also suggest that we do all our grocery shopping, getting gas for the vehicles, prescriptions refilled etc before the weekend. Another thing they have talked about is the fact that the cell towers will be swamped with people trying to connect so service could be intermittent. They did say that if you can, we should connect our phones to wi-fi so that we would still have access in case of emergency. It really is interesting everything that the officials have been doing. They've been working on this for over 2 years to make sure they have everything covered.

I can't wait!!!

Here is a layout I did for a challenge at The Lily Pad in January that shows the path through Ohio.

20240118 MOC Soco.jpg

This is so exciting for you Rene.  Your town sounds very on top of matters.  Wish I lived there.  My province probably calls it "fake news" and my city is probably finding some way to tax me on it.  hahaha.  kidding.  You town sounds wonderful, very proactive.  I can feel the excitement in your words, I'll be there in spirit.  Beautiful layout.  

• Love 1

On 3/31/2024 at 10:12 AM, Cassel said:

I have found a great site that can list all the cities in the path of totality, but also those who will experience partial eclipse. It shows what you will see in various cities:

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/index.php

I found out that my hometown will see 99.56% totality, so we are just out of the full path, so we will drive to Miramichi, which will be close to the center of the path, where we can get 3.5 minutes of totality (weather permitting).

I tried to look at the link...me and billion other people I think, as it errored out.  

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:09 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

In 1999 we didn't had a total eclipse like Doska in Germany; it was a partial one and nevertheless it was impressive. It was a sunny day and suddenly it started to get darker, the birds stopped singing, everything got really quiet and later when the light got brighter the birds started to move around, dogs were barking again. The next partial eclipse in 2025 will be visible in the Netherlands too and when by chance the weather doesn't cooperate there will be another partial one in 2026 that will be visible in Belgium and the Netherlands. But I'm still sorry that I can't watch this total eclipse on my birthday, that would have made it even more special. So I wish all of you who are able to go a fantastic one of a lifetime experience. I hope we will get some lovely scrapbook pages of it! Enjoy and have fun!

Pre-Happy Birthday Corrie.  How does one top a birthday gift like the universe is giving you.  Too bad you wont be able to receive it.  It's the thought that counts...that Universe, always thinking about us, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bill Pearson said:

The good news: It is supposed to pass directly over my home. The bad news: early weather reports indicate rain Monday. This will be my third eclipse in my lifetime. As a kid in the 60's one passed over my hometown in Pennsylvania. Then I was in Nebraska in 2017 when another took place.  Attached is a photo showing the area one hour before the eclipse, during, and a few minutes after, Fascinating. When the eclipse took place, everything went so quiet. Dogs, birds, insects all went silent.

eclipse contrast small.jpg

This is fascinating.  So cool to see the differences.  Thanks for sharing Bill.

• Like 1

There was a report on a news station out of Dayton last night on the cost of hotel rooms. This is what they found out about the 2 hotels in my town.

"In Wapakoneta for the weekend of the Eclipse, Comfort Inn is priced at $632 while Holiday Inn Express is $1,243." A town about 45 minutes from us has these prices "In Bellefontaine, the prices range from $895 to $1,167 in total." Bellefontaine is in the path of totality but the duration will not be as long as ours since it is east of us.

They are fully booked!

• WOW 3

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Pre-Happy Birthday Corrie.  How does one top a birthday gift like the universe is giving you.  Too bad you wont be able to receive it.  It's the thought that counts...that Universe, always thinking about us, eh?

Thank you Susan and I have no hesitation the pictures will be on all the tv-networks and social media! I suppose I 'm considering it as a special gift for my birthday 🤩! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

The last UK Solar Eclipse on 11th August 1999 occured whilst I was a Cub Scout Leader. I had set the Cub Scouts a challenge  to write a " newspaper report" of the Eclipse and their experience of it. The main memory they had of it was of the sudden drop in temperature ( 8 - 10 degrees if I remember correctly) , and we where located over 200 miles away from the totality zone and only saw a partial eclipse. I remember the changes of the wind as it went darker and then lightened up again.

I also wrote a report but cannot find it or the pictures from a weather satalite showing the shadow on the earth.

• Like 4