April 1-2-3 Challenge (2024)

Cassel

spacer.png

Let's make things a little fun for you. Are you looking for ways to spark your creativity and still create something meaningful? This will be a fairly regular challenge for you. Every time, you will be given instructions to use 1, 2, and 3 of something. Would that be more than you usually use? or less? Let's see. Create a layout using :

• 1 shaped paperclip
  • 2 Folded corners
  • 3 Wooden elements

You can create those elements or use what you currently have in your stash. Showcase any photo, use any template (if you want). Just make sure you include the required elements.

I used paper templates.  The heart tag I saw on the telly, which caught my eye, so I created my own. Paper clip, ( I  had previously made, all I had to do was colourize it.)  Wood tokens and folded corners.  I used one of Carole's punches on the  arrow note.  Every day, the hares are getting darker, casting their white winter coats for  summer ones.   

April 1 2 3 challenge.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

@Sue Thomas Really nice. The only issue I have is my papers and photos don't have anything on the back to show when folded. How did you do that?

That is probably due to the way you are switching the cut corner, once you have made your cut using the point to point.  You can either mirror horizontal  or flip horizontal. Then rotate to align the corners.  I believe there is a tutorial in the creative scrap. I think its titled Folded paper. Unless it's  in the blog. I'll  take a look for you shortly.

41 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

That is probably due to the way you are switching the cut corner, once you have made your cut using the point to point.  You can either mirror horizontal  or flip horizontal. Then rotate to align the corners.  I believe there is a tutorial in the creative scrap. I think its titled Folded paper. Unless it's  in the blog. I'll  take a look for you shortly.

Yes, I know, Sue, but my point is it doesn't look realistic when a folded photo shows another photo on the back.

7 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yes, I know, Sue, but my point is it doesn't look realistic when a folded photo shows another photo on the back.

I think you can the selection promote to a new layer and fill it with white or another color

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Ah right, now I  understand  where you are coming from.  You are right.  Probably should have folded another paper instead of the photo. To look realistic. Wouldn't  the same apply to papers too. 

I'm  going to suggest that everyone watches the tutorial Folded Corners in the creative scrap.  Achieving a realistic effect or not, anything goes in digital pages. I'll  let Carole weigh in on this one.

Edited by Sue Thomas

It is true that TYPICALLY, you would not have the same thing on both sides if it is a photo. For a paper, it might be expected. Anja has a good solution, which is to "replace" anything that is not typical, with something more typical (like, do you remember that the back of polaroid photos were black?). To make sure that you use the right size/shape, you would do that with the Locked transparency.

If you plan ahead to have two different layers, then you would start with the two layers together and when it is time to make a selection, you will delete the top layer (which won't be seen) and promote the bottom one, which will flip on top of the other in the fold.

• Like 2

To quote Carole " a great starting point to display photos............,"  Once again she is right!   I edited the one template  and created what Carole demonstrated  in, I think was the 4th project in the masterclass  using grids.   The paper with Carole's corner punch  is a paper template. The others are my own.  I did rotate the stipes, but it didn't look right to me, so rotated back to how I created it.  The tag is one I made a while back.  Wood tokens, and  a wood burning tag. The heart paperclip is my own, which I colourized, using the sculpture tool. (silver)   It doesn't really look like it, but the  wood burning tag is actually not only under the folded paper, but also it's shadow. 

Ground squirrels collage (1).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

4 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

To quote Carole " a great starting point to display photos............,"  Once again she is right!   I edited the one template  and created what Carole demonstrated  in, I think was the 4th project in the masterclass  using grids.   The paper with Carole's corner punch  is a paper template. The others are my own.  I did rotate the stipes, but it didn't look right to me, so rotated back to how I created it.  The tag is one I made a while back.  Wood tokens, and  a wood burning tag. The heart paperclip is my own, which I colourized, using the sculpture tool. (silver)   It doesn't really look like it, but the  wood burning tag is actually not only under the folded paper, but also it's shadow. 

Ground squirrels collage (1).jpg

The shadowing on those folds is outstanding!  I like that they are folded to different thickness and the shadow reflects that.  I love the photos, they are such a joy to watch arent they.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

The shadowing on those folds is outstanding!  I like that they are folded to different thickness and the shadow reflects that.  I love the photos, they are such a joy to watch arent they.  

They provide endless entertainment. I appreciate the compliment.  The one fold had to have more lift, to take into account the tag being under it. 

• Like 1

I have a flower bed full of daffodils, one of my favorite flowers. The daffodil picture was taken yesterday and the dandelion field is behind my house. The green paper is from my kit, and the fold is from a scrap tutorial. I have been totally unsucessful in using the cass folded edge script, but by accident managed to fold the daffodil picture. I filled the fold with white like the back of a photograph. The mossy wood is from a picture my daughter sent me, and the preset wheel is filled with another wood photo from Beth. The no trespassing sign fill is from a photo of tree bark that I took some time ago. I used a brush to make the edges uneven. The yellow is a gradient, and the greenery was made in Procreate. The font is Kristin ITC cut out of the bark photo. 

ds123challengeApril.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I'm finishing all the projects I was working on; I want to leave with nothing unfinished and find that when I return in May. At that point I certainly won't do so anymore. The wood elements are a wooden background from the Behold Spring by cpjess, a wooden token I did sometime ago and the letter S is made by cass-Stacked alpha script. I have the same wood texture and used that for the other letters, all with the font Book Antiqua. I used the notebook paper, done after a tutorial in Lab 14-03, to write my story about this little gem of a flower. The paperclip I have done so long ago that I have no idea from what lesson or masterclass it stems. The heart paper is in my stash and I don't know where I got that one. In making the folds I assumed the paper was identical on fore- and background. Of course the photo has a white background.

1-2-3 challenge-april2024-600.jpg

Edited by Corrie Kinkel
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm finishing all the projects I was working on; I want to leave with nothing unfinished and find that when I return in May. At that point I certainly won't do so anymore. The wood elements are a wooden background from the Behold Spring by cpjess, a wooden token I did sometime ago and the letter S is made by cass-Stacked alpha script. I have the same wood texture and used that for the other letters, all with the font Book Antiqua. I used the notebook paper, done after a tutorial in Lab 14-03, to write my story about this little gem of a flower. The paperclip I have done so long ago that I have no idea from what lesson or masterclass it stems. The heart paper is in my stash and I don't know where I got that one. In making the folds I assumed the paper was identical on fore- and background. Of course the photo has a white background.

Should this be your last project, then I would say, that you have ended on a grand note.  The page is perfect.  I initially thought you had created the heart  paper, using  the exploding cutout , from the lab 13-9 (I think) I suppose you could have  selected some of the  hearts, promoted to a layer, then delete.  Just a thought.  

12 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Well done, Corrie! Everything fits so well together. Interestingly cute little bloom! You might want to correct the spelling at the end there... widely available to gardeners... needs an "e".

10 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Well done, Corrie! Everything fits so well together. Interestingly cute little bloom! You might want to correct the spelling at the end there... widely available to gardeners... needs an "e".

Ann I didn't noticed it and apparently my spelling checker overlooked it too. So thanks and I'll rectify.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Should this be your last project, then I would say, that you have ended on a grand note.  The page is perfect.  I initially thought you had created the heart  paper, using  the exploding cutout , from the lab 13-9 (I think) I suppose you could have  selected some of the  hearts, promoted to a layer, then delete.  Just a thought.  

Thank you Sue! I had thought about those options but hadn't time enough to do so. This last week has been a bit crazy with all that I had to take care of. There came some unexpected problems, like a tumble dryer that went brook as well. Maybe I'll take a look at it when I'm back. At least I'm happy with my color scheme.

• Like 3

• Cassel unpinned this topic