Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

13 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I couldn't live with them roaming the 'hood, I'd be a basket case of worry.

Yeah, me, too. atm I'm feeding 3 feral "community" cats outside on my porch. I have an application in for the local shelter to come for Trap/Neuter/Release [TNR] which means they'll be back for me to feed. I put up a cat cabin on the porch for their shelter. Meanwhile, my indoor brats are jonesing after the ferals food which is different than theirs. I've tried them on the canned pate and all they do is get sick on it. The indoor crew hangs out by the open sliding glass door in good weather; which is their version of a "catio!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 7  I made it!

This too me a long time to futz around with.  The keyboard keys was a separate photo that I merged in, the zigzag and lightning bolt are brushes (the zigzag might be from Corel?).  And guess what I found out....the diagrams from the pencilsketch2 are also brushes I have.  that way I could add them where I wanted.  I ran the script several times, changing the edit of the photo each time.  that gave me lots of hatch to choose from and I used a mask to get the best of the city buildings (computer circuit boards).  The "moon" is the disc from inside a hard drive as are the other elements, except the upper left "cloud".  the red flare is a brush too.  the font is Avalors (CF) and I duplicated it, turned the bottom version to a raster and blurred it.  the font itself had a humongous stroke, by accident of clumsy fingers, and left the tiniest space for fill so I went with it.  tonight I'll get started on the Build a Kit.  I see everyone has started off with a creative bang!

Thank you for the workshop Carole.  I pushed myself more in this one.  

Mask WS Day 7 IGNITE-600.jpg

Susan, you worked a lot in this workshop to edit all photos with the PencilSketch2 script and then edit further until you achieved the desired result. Very nice !

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had to go back and find the Pop Quiz as I had missed it the first time around. I got You got 9/10 correct! I did get the cat's name correct but missed the one that asked about addictive techniques. I guessed Kaleidoscope but that was wrong. It doesn't tell me what the correct answer should be.

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

Susan, you worked a lot in this workshop to edit all photos with the PencilSketch2 script and then edit further until you achieved the desired result. Very nice !

thank you Marie-Claire.  it was a really rewarding experience for me ...in the end.  Of course I had my share of hair-pulling too.  

Day 7 here's a diff version

I was in the shower, just about to go to work when it hit me to color the blurred raster layer.  I used the Ctr A, Ctr F , then flood filled like we learned in the last Q&A.  I'm not sure if I did it right as I'm doing it from memory and it merged with the layer below it (the one I selected).  I'll have to go re-watch that. I used that because it was blurry so it would use all the pixels.  since I wanted a copy of the orig. blurred layer, I undid it, then made a copy and hid it.  then did the select all, float, flood fill.  then i turned the black layer back on and really cool was the black kinda of stuck out past, and I lowered the reds opacity so more black could come through.  Supposed to be like glowing embers about to ignite.  What looks better?

I did get a color showing through the G but it looks interesting to me so i didnt try to take it out.  

Mask WS Day 7 IGNITE-ver2-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I had to go back and find the Pop Quiz as I had missed it the first time around. I got You got 9/10 correct! I did get the cat's name correct but missed the one that asked about addictive techniques. I guessed Kaleidoscope but that was wrong. It doesn't tell me what the correct answer should be.

that's weird, it told me slippers was wrong, when I scrolled back up into the test....I think.  I almost flubbed up choosing that you couldput a shadow on the mask.  I was going to say yes because if you turn it into a raster you can shadow it.  then I realized if it's a raster it's no longer a mask.  So no, you cant shadow a mask....that I know of.  

53 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

that's weird, it told me slippers was wrong, when I scrolled back up into the test....I think.  I almost flubbed up choosing that you couldput a shadow on the mask.  I was going to say yes because if you turn it into a raster you can shadow it.  then I realized if it's a raster it's no longer a mask.  So no, you cant shadow a mask....that I know of.  

Yeah, Slippers is wrong; the correct name is Teddy. And Kaleidoscope is the wrong answer for "What tool/command seems to be getting addictive to play with?" Maybe the correct one was "All of the above."

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 7  I made it!

This too me a long time to futz around with.  The keyboard keys was a separate photo that I merged in, the zigzag and lightning bolt are brushes (the zigzag might be from Corel?).  And guess what I found out....the diagrams from the pencilsketch2 are also brushes I have.  that way I could add them where I wanted.  I ran the script several times, changing the edit of the photo each time.  that gave me lots of hatch to choose from and I used a mask to get the best of the city buildings (computer circuit boards).  The "moon" is the disc from inside a hard drive as are the other elements, except the upper left "cloud".  the red flare is a brush too.  the font is Avalors (CF) and I duplicated it, turned the bottom version to a raster and blurred it.  the font itself had a humongous stroke, by accident of clumsy fingers, and left the tiniest space for fill so I went with it. the keys were taken off the keyboard (that my work was recycling) and lined up as it was, I didnt leave enough space between.  I took forever (and the cats got banished because they'd undo my work as fast as I was doing it).  tonight I'll get started on the Build a Kit.  I see everyone has started off with a creative bang!

Thank you for the workshop Carole.  I pushed myself more in this one.  

Mask WS Day 7 IGNITE-600.jpg

Susan you have put so much work in this workshop but the result is fantastic! You were on a roll! I hope the Build a Kit Workshop will turn out a great kit iin the end, good luck, I'll have a peek once in a while!

@Cassel: Thanks again for hosting this great workshop!!! 💓

Masks usually do have some sort of presence in the layouts I make but painted masks were never a real focus. I see changes a comin'...   how perfect they are on smaller pages, like my 6x6 album or even 7x7 or 8x8 , as sole features really.

I made a repeat pattern, it is rather transparent. Graphics Marisa Lerin, Jessica Dunn, myself. Times New Roman, Baskerville Old Style, Myriad, Headline, Dancing Script. Spread 12x6 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 9

17 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

How did you come up with that name.  It's a great name.

Slippers has white paws and extra digits so it seemed fitting to have a foot-related name. As for Teddy, that was my daughter's cat. I don't know how he got that name.

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

Slippers has white paws and extra digits so it seemed fitting to have a foot-related name. As for Teddy, that was my daughter's cat. I don't know how he got that name.

Wow, that is so cool.  Good thinking on the name.

Mwuah........Maybe the photo doesn't fit the background, the linoleum maybe better for mats, or there's something else, but I don't know what I don't like much.

Datestamp script from Cassel, font is bree serif

Photo is my own.

Les 6-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, bina greene said:

@Cassel: Thanks again for hosting this great workshop!!! 💓

Masks usually do have some sort of presence in the layouts I make but painted masks were never a real focus. I see changes a comin'...   how perfect they are on smaller pages, like my 6x6 album or even 7x7 or 8x8 , as sole features really.

I made a repeat pattern, it is rather transparent. Graphics Marisa Lerin, Jessica Dunn, myself. Times New Roman, Baskerville Old Style, Myriad, Headline, Dancing Script. Spread 12x6 

spacer.png

Beautiful layout, Bina. I do wish I could read that language...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I followed the lessons a tiny bit 🙂 Last week I had a very small operation. They placed a voice prosthesis after I had a laryngectomy  in june last year.

And after that I catched a nasty cold.             So in  very nearby future I start with making masks learned in this workshop. 

I looked now at the most beautiful works from you all.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Chris Schults said:

I followed the lessons a tiny bit 🙂 Last week I had a very small operation. They placed a voice prosthesis after I had a laryngectomy  in june last year.

And after that I catched a nasty cold.             So in  very nearby future I start with making masks learned in this workshop. 

Hope you will be well soon!

• Love 1

Lesson 7

Bree serif is the font

Datestamp from Cassel

Text translation:

I have learned "Zo gaat de molen"(A oldfashioned Dutch song for young children) to my granddaughter (just 2 years now) Singing aong is still a bit difficult, but the movements with the song, she can do.During our last visit to the Open lucht museum in sept. 2023, we took more mill photo's and put them on our digital photo frame. Every time she sees a mill, she starts to sing and move. And we sing along with her!"

It was fun to do this course again (Except the linoleum) , it reminds me to paint shop more often, because you forget some techniques or handy short cuts 🙂

Les 7-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Chris Schults said:

I hope you are feeling better soon Chris.  Let the works of everyone hear inspire you while you are recovering.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jen Brown said:

Lesson 6 has been completed. I used a mask called ps_marisa-lerin_328956_blend-it-7-photo-mask_pu from https://www.digitalscrapbook.com/

This was such an fun lesson learning how to make the magic background paper.

jmb-Lesson 6 600.jpg

I love this.  I am a fan of dark dark dark backgrounds, this is a nice lino background.  Beautiful picture and perfect use of the font as part of the mask.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Schults said:

Chris all the best and I hope you will feel better soon!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

DAY 7 - a bit late but I wanted to finish it

For the background, I did the dots at 100%.

Then I decided it might be interesting to do another layer, in a different colour, with dots at 50%.

I like them both so used them in the background.

My image was just something that I liked that I created using the Kaleidoscope tool.

Then, I thought it might be interesting to remove the image and have just a paper at 3600 x 3600. I am including the picture of that as well.

Thanks everyone for the great work you have done.

Thank you, Carole, for hosting this.

It has been fun.

MASKING 7 600.jpg

MASKING 7 PAPER 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10