Newsletter chitchat - October 31, 2023

Cassel

Depending on your region, it might already be getting significantly colder (or warmer if you are in the southern hemisphere).

What is the weather like? Is it similar to previous years?

Let's chat.

Snap a picture of your area and share it below.

Then I hung out at work, mostly talking around the water cooler - talking about how warm it was and there was no snow yet. that's me at the bottom, I wore clothes to work, cause I'm thoughtful like that.  Then I ate too many Halloween candies and got sick.  All because the weather was warmer than usual.  Otherwise I'd be at home snug like a bug in a rug.  

_C7A2945_copy.jpg

_C7A2951_copy.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 5

ttps://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervormingsdag

For those who are curious about what is happening elsewhere in the world on October 31,  here is a link from Wikipedia. My laptop refused to set to English so you have to do that yourself. You have to know that Catholicism and Protestantism were strictly separated and each other's holidays were not celebrated. So was 5/6 Dec Katholic and Xmas 25/26 Dec Protestants. The day on which European pagans were baptized en masse into Christianity. (read Catholic) This was accompanied by celebrations and the exchange of gifts. These celebrations lasted 3 days. Xmas has been around since 300 AD. Due to the Romans, baptism was voluntary, not mandatory in those days. Santa Nicolas came between 500-600 AD. Not in the beginning as a holiday. Over the centuries, the celebrations kept changing.

Today temperature is 11°C = 51.8°F     very windy and rainy.

• Like 3

It's about 40 F at 6:30 a.m. and raining with a freeze warning here on Long Island, NY. It gets really hot in my room when the heat is on so I keep my window open. I'm currently wearing fuzzy socks and a sweater, but for me, it's better than being hot.

• Like 4

Your garden reminds me of a Mandala I read about in a nature book titled The Forest Unseen.  The author refers to 2 Tibetan monks that create a complex mandala of coloured sands, taking many days to complete.  It has significance  at many levels, concentration taken  in creating it, complexity and coherence. The mandala is a recreation of life,   Anyway the author of the book a biologist,  creates his own mandala out in a forest, 1metre in diameter, wondering if the whole forest can be  seen through a small contemplative window of leaves, rocks and trees, and water.  Sure enough he could, along with his magnifying lens, he could view the whole forest, in immature.  It's  a fascinating book. He devotes a whole year of his attention to a  one square metre patch of old growth in  the forest.  Your garden is alive, filled with colour, I'd be outside investigating every nook and cranny.  I'd gather the leaves placing them on the flower beds, your garden  is well sheltered

• Like 1

Like Jannette and Monique I live in the Netherlands but in the southwest of the country and we had much more wind. My village had only moderate troubles but nearby a lot of trees came down, we only had branches broken off and many leaves flying around; all that combined with much rain. Today it was dry but still windy and the ditches and wadi's are filled to the brim. It is advised not to go into forests/parks because of branches that may come off and paths that are blocked. The forecast for tomorrow is: rain! But the temperatures (around 52 F) are still mild for this time of the year and no night frost at all.  

• Like 1