October 1-2-3 Challenge (2023)

Cassel

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Between all the scripting lessons with the super script-along plus all the normal weekend activities and a husband who got ill, I have managed to make something for the 1-2-3 challenge. Luckily I had most of the requirements already done another time. I only had to adapt the colors to the colors from my photos and Sue I nicked your idea of a big cornerpunch. The last nice ones are on my wish list. I had to renew my subscription for the campus and buy the scripting course and that's enough for now. The background is from the photos with a very big blur. Last week we needed something from the gardencenter and there I noticed these little butterflies that were still active. It was a bit difficult to get decent photos of them, they were only for a short moment on a flower and then moved to the next. And of course they were sitting still in places that I could reach. Therefore I have no photos of them with their wings spread out. The fonts are Michalina and Arial.

1-2-3-challenge-600.jpg

Simply beautiful Corrie.  The punch in the corner is really pretty.  Great colors as well.  

• Thanks 1

I redid my layout for this challenge, because Sue was very kindly suggesting that I had used the brush tool for my cornerpunch and yes I had done so. I myself wasn't very happy on how it looked, but was to tired to see what was wrong. Therefore I redid it with the eraser brush and now have the cornerpunch as it should be. I have already told Sue that I appreciated her comments and so also here thank you so much Sue.

1-2-3-challenge-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I redid my layout for this challenge, because Sue was very kindly suggesting that I had used the brush tool for my cornerpunch and yes I had done so. I myself wasn't very happy on how it looked, but was to tired to see what was wrong. Therefore I redid it with the eraser brush and now have the cornerpunch as it should be. I have already told Sue that I appreciated her comments and so also here thank you so much Sue.

1-2-3-challenge-600.jpg

It was a pleasure to be able to suggest, what  you had mistakenly done.  The punch is also perfectly aligned, which makes a huge difference.  We have all been there, done something we are not happy with, and  can't work out why, even more so when the  brain is tired,  and  in turn not functioning as it should.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

1-2-3-challenge-600.jpg

I thought it was supposed to be like that.  It actually looks cool the other way (the first way you did it) too.  I do like this version, it's very polished and pretty.  And good to know that we should use the eraser brush.  I wouldnt have known that. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I thought it was supposed to be like that.  It actually looks cool the other way (the first way you did it) too.  I do like this version, it's very polished and pretty.  And good to know that we should use the eraser brush.  I wouldnt have known that. 

Thanks and yes you can use the eraser brush and it gives a cutout effect to the punches; however you can use a regular brush too and that gives the effect of painting on a layer. Look at the difference in the shadows on both layouts. What I wanted was the cutout effect but I was so tired I just didn't saw what was wrong. I like the 2nd because that's what I intended.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thanks and yes you can use the eraser brush and it gives a cutout effect to the punches; however you can use a regular brush too and that gives the effect of painting on a layer. Look at the difference in the shadows on both layouts. What I wanted was the cutout effect but I was so tired I just didn't saw what was wrong. I like the 2nd because that's what I intended.

And we all learned and had an example of two different ways to use it.  I understand how foggy a brain is when you are tired.  today is that day for me and I'm about to get in a car and drive!  Look out world, here I come!  With less than 3 hours of sleep.  Got home from work after 1am (work was physically exhausting and my hands are really stiff this morning from it), scripted till 3am.  Saw my husband leave for work at 3:30am. bed at 4am.  Cat woke me up at 5:30am, she was hungry.  back to bed, up at 7:30am.  thankfully, today is my day off and my appointment is a massage....I might be snoring on the table.  ? 

• WOW 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

There isn't a day  that goes by, where we don't learn something new in the campus, myself included.

• Love 2

Here is my 1-2-3 Challenge.  

I did the tutorial for the paperclips and used the search in the campus to learn how to use them.  The tag is one I made in the vector workshop.  I remember to use shift when I was sizing the tag to keep the original shape. The polaroid frames (I oops'd and did three) were also from the tutorials in the campus.  And even the 1 lonely sequin is from the tutorial.  It is really bad, so there is only 1 and it's small.  I did have an issue with Inner Bevel.  I had wanted to use it on the title but it turned my title almost white and I'm not sure why.  this is the setting I used.  Does anyone know what I did wrong, you can see with the preview of what it did to the pink.  I used the inner bevel on the frame around the edge of the layout and it was normal.  I need to give that sequin another try.  Mother Nature was busy making a grey sky and lots of wind, so I did these photos in my studio under artifical (constant) light.  

Fonts used: Molabrista and Abigail (Creative Fabrica)

October123 challenge Cosmos-600.jpg

inner bevel.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Susan Ewart I usually play with the Elevation when I don't like the color - lowering the number of the elevation usually darkens the body and raising the number lightens it.  Hope that helps.  Like your layout!  You, Ann and Sue are quite the photographers.  I'm one who uses the automatic settings - however Canon usually doesn't let me down with that.

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I did the tutorial for the paperclips and used the search in the campus to learn how to use them.  The tag is one I made in the vector workshop.  I remember to use shift when I was sizing the tag to keep the original shape. The polaroid frames (I oops'd and did three) were also from the tutorials in the campus.  And even the 1 lonely sequin is from the tutorial.  It is really bad, so there is only 1 and it's small.  I did have an issue with Inner Bevel.  I had wanted to use it on the title but it turned my title almost white and I'm not sure why.  this is the setting I used.  Does anyone know what I did wrong, you can see with the preview of what it did to the pink.  I used the inner bevel on the frame around the edge of the layout and it was normal.  I need to give that sequin another try.  Mother Nature was busy making a grey sky and lots of wind, so I did these photos in my studio under artifical (constant) light.  

inner bevel.JPG

I'm going to suggest to you that once you have finished with the  inner bevel, restore it to default, like you do for the brush variance palette.  Certainly for now anyway, until you are more familiar with it.   Try lowering the elevation to 30, which is the default setting.  I see the angle is slightly off, unless that is what you want.  Again, the default is 315. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I'm going to suggest to you that once you have finished with the  inner bevel, restore it to default, like you do for the brush variance palette.  Certainly for now anyway, until you are more familiar with it.   Try lowering the elevation to 30, which is the default setting.  I see the angle is slightly off, unless that is what you want.  Again, the default is 315. 

I will try these suggestions.  I looked at settings and wondered if I did something without knowing it (or had in the past). I didnt even realize I didnt have the right default numbers.  Good idea of restoring to default after using it.  I've only done that with the brush variance palette.  Never thought to do that with the other settings, but sounds good standard practice to do that for other settings too.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

inner bevel.JPG

You have perfected the  art of studio lighting, your shots  and layout  is ineffable!   

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I will try these suggestions.  I looked at settings and wondered if I did something without knowing it (or had in the past). I didnt even realize I didnt have the right default numbers.  Good idea of restoring to default after using it.  I've only done that with the brush variance palette.  Never thought to do that with the other settings, but sounds good standard practice to do that for other settings too.  

As you go through Carole's tutorials, you'll find that she  often changes settings within tools, to achieve the desired effect.   Which is probably what has happened.  In those cases,  it is then a good idea to reset to default.   Once you have learnt how to use those settings through here tutorials, they can they be adopted  in other projects that you are working on, as you will have a much better understanding of how those tools work.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

As you go through Carole's tutorials, you'll find that she  often changes settings within tools, to achieve the desired effect.   Which is probably what has happened.  In those cases,  it is then a good idea to reset to default.   Once you have learnt how to use those settings through here tutorials, they can they be adopted  in other projects that you are working on, as you will have a much better understanding of how those tools work.

This is especially true for me if I use a script. I was surprised to see how the settings were totally different from the last time I used the tool manually.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I find that the Ambiance tends to brighten the colors even if it is set to 0 as default. I often bring it down until I see the color on the preview panes to match. Usually, it is around -20. Then, I leave it there until I NEED something different.

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

You have perfected the  art of studio lighting, your shots  and layout  is ineffable!   

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU for your words.   I'm learning a lot with my very inexpensive set up.  I am happy to be back to my first creative passion.  Learning to using lighting in the studio has been challenging but I tend to lose myself it it (in a good way, like you, when you are laying on the ground photographing insects).  I have learned from looking at all styles of photography and there is such fabulous photography right here in the Campus that I'm always thinking, Wow, what a great shot, what a great angle, look at that light, etc.  Your words mean a lot and make me feel inspired to keep learning.  

19 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I find that the Ambiance tends to brighten the colors even if it is set to 0 as default. I often bring it down until I see the color on the preview panes to match. Usually, it is around -20. Then, I leave it there until I NEED something different.

Thank you Carole.  this is the first time I had a weird reaction like that.  I will try the ambience too.  Hopefully I'll find some time today to test it out.  I need to get back to Scripting too, I took too many days off.  It's best to keep at it, especially until it feels natural....hmmm....how many years will that be?😩 

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

This is especially true for me if I use a script. I was surprised to see how the settings were totally different from the last time I used the tool manually.

I didnt know this, but yes, that makes sense.  And I should know this as I'm in the scripting course.  The take away, is set to default first, which is funny because if I use a photo editing type tool, the first thing I do is set it to default.  Where is my mind this days?  

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

This to good to know because I was doing tutorials.