June 2023 - RANDOM Challenge

Cassel

Random-Challenge.jpg

Here is a challenge to do something that might not be repeated in other months. Just an idea that popped like that (and you can also send me suggestions for occasional random challenges too).

This time, let's talk. Use at least half of the space of the page to share a story. It can be a funny one, a serious one, or even an imaginary one.

Here is one example of a large area for a story.

spacer.png

For ideas for templates to add lots of text, check this article.

Post your project in the gallery.

• Love 3

• Cassel pinned this topic

Well, guess what? I have one more QP for the Day 8 assignment. I downloaded a few from Digital Scrapbook and this one is from Marisa Lerin called QP-Slovenia03.

I decided to combine this with the Random Challenge to tell a personal story. The title font is Corlita Sans; the journaling is in Droid Serif. Behind the text I brushed some dark blue with a brush called cass-Dispersion2.

The journaling is a bit small so I'll repeat it here;

FACTS: The Model-A Ford (1927-1931) was the first Ford to use the standard set of driver controls with conventional clutch and brake pedals, throttle, and gearshift. The Model A's fuel tank was situated in the cowl, between the engine compartment's fire wall and the dash panel. It had a visual fuel gauge, and the fuel flowed to the carburetor by gravity.

OUR STORY: When I was young, our family of 3 traveled from Bergen County, NJ,  to Ulster County, NY,  for day-trips. Lake Minnewaska was a spectacular setting to visit. Situated up high, the access road was very steep and our Model-A Ford could only navigate it BACKWARDS because of the gravity gas feed.

OUR MODEL-A FORD STORY_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

On 28-6-2023 at 13:44, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

BIG QUESTION!!!

For this Random challenge, I need an explanation of the word CRAWDADS.

When I ask in Google they translate in our language to RIVER LOBSTER. 

So I know what it means but !!!!!!!

We know what a craw is and a dad we know as well. But together????

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:49 PM, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Crawdads are crayfish...river lobster is a pretty close translation. 

"Crayfish are freshwater crustaceans belonging to the clade Astacidea, which also contains lobsters. In some locations, they are also known as baybugs, crabfish, craws, crawfish, crawdaddies, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs, rock lobsters, signal crawfish, or yabbies." Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW 1

We went to the NC Zoo to celebrate our friend, Judy's, birthday. An amazing day from beginning to end. We were really looking forward to the Zoofari, an open-air truck ride to see animals in their natural habitat...up close and personal. 

All photos are mine. The text reads, "

We visited the North Carolina Zoo to celebrate Judy’s birthday. The NC Zoo is the largest natural habitat zoo in the world. We were looking forward to going on the Zoofari. It was to be the big event of the day…we could hardly wait. As soon as we arrived at the zoo, we asked the first zoo volunteer we found how to find the Zoofari so we could purchase tickets. (They do not sell advanced tickets.) We were told that the Zoofari was closed.

We were so disappointed…all our big plans and dreams…gone.

Putting aside our disappointment, we began to visit and view the wetlands exhibit and were enjoying the cypress knees, alligators and such. We were taking pictures and talking about similar experiences in my childhood and we began to build a fun day. Suddenly, the zoo volunteer who had told us the Zoofari was closed appeared to tell us the Zoofari was open! The Zoo had changed the schedule. Johnny had come looking for us and also had several other volunteers looking for “3 ladies walking around”. He didn’t even use the word, “old”. Now this is customer service! Searching for 3 strangers while not knowing where they had wandered off to…just to brighten their day. Thank you, Johnny! We immediately went to purchase our tickets and had a wonderful Zoofari experience!" 

I used a template from Day 6, Journaling Challenge, August of 2022. 

2023 6 24 Zoofari StoryTime-Workshop-Day6b 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

here is my Image. It's a book review. Might be more of you have read the book. It was in 2019 America's bestseller. I've made all the attributes myself as background.

And tubed the crawdad myself, which was enormously difficult. AI could not do the job. So it took some more time. But hurrah it's finished. 

Crawdads af jpeg 600x600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

here is my Image. It's a book review. Might be more of you have read the book. It was in 2019 America's bestseller. I've made all the attributes myself as background.

And tubed the crawdad myself, which was enormously difficult. AI could not do the job. So it took some more time. But hurrah it's finished. 

I loved this book...read it twice...something I never do!

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 4:59 PM, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

That's a great tube you made!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

We went to the NC Zoo to celebrate our friend, Judy's, birthday. An amazing day from beginning to end. We were really looking forward to the Zoofari, an open-air truck ride to see animals in their natural habitat...up close and personal. 

All photos are mine. The text reads, "

We visited the North Carolina Zoo to celebrate Judy’s birthday. The NC Zoo is the largest natural habitat zoo in the world. We were looking forward to going on the Zoofari. It was to be the big event of the day…we could hardly wait. As soon as we arrived at the zoo, we asked the first zoo volunteer we found how to find the Zoofari so we could purchase tickets. (They do not sell advanced tickets.) We were told that the Zoofari was closed.

We were so disappointed…all our big plans and dreams…gone.

Putting aside our disappointment, we began to visit and view the wetlands exhibit and were enjoying the cypress knees, alligators and such. We were taking pictures and talking about similar experiences in my childhood and we began to build a fun day. Suddenly, the zoo volunteer who had told us the Zoofari was closed appeared to tell us the Zoofari was open! The Zoo had changed the schedule. Johnny had come looking for us and also had several other volunteers looking for “3 ladies walking around”. He didn’t even use the word, “old”. Now this is customer service! Searching for 3 strangers while not knowing where they had wandered off to…just to brighten their day. Thank you, Johnny! We immediately went to purchase our tickets and had a wonderful Zoofari experience!" 

I used a template from Day 6, Journaling Challenge, August of 2022. 

2023 6 24 Zoofari StoryTime-Workshop-Day6b 600.jpg

Love the story.

9 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Here's my "journal-type" layout. The photo is of me with my Harley from many moons ago. Ah, those were the days, my friend....

I chose to do it in a sepia-toned colour b/c it's rather dreamlike to me now after all these years.

July sketch challenge 2023 Harley.jpg

Everything about this is beautiful.  It is very dream-like, especially the background, it's perfect.  

• Thanks 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic