Quick-Page Workshop - June 2023

Cassel

Up to the first template of Lesson6 and have chosen a recent activity to advertise. It's a sponsored charity walk.. I would rather have had a different badge to 'little love' but kept it in situ because it has such good balance on the page. I like what Anja has done with replacing it on her design though. I merged my portrait photo with a scenery shot from one of our walks and have included a little logo that I have designed for our 'Green Panthers' team for the hike. Of course designed using PSP. I adjusted the Brightness of the background. A problem I had was when I resized the image to make the smaller jpg, it wiped out the body text. In the end I 'merged visible' and then resized. It seemed to work.

QP-Lesson6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

3 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Up to the first template of Lesson6 and have chosen a recent activity to advertise. It's a sponsored charity walk.. I would rather have had a different badge to 'little love' but kept it in situ because it has such good balance on the page. I like what Anja has done with replacing it on her design though. I merged my portrait photo with a scenery shot from one of our walks and have included a little logo that I have designed for our 'Green Panthers' team for the hike. Of course designed using PSP. I adjusted the Brightness of the background. A problem I had was when I resized the image to make the smaller jpg, it wiped out the body text. In the end I 'merged visible' and then resized. It seemed to work.

QP-Lesson6.jpg

Good luck Fiona!  

15 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Here is my QP-6 again, I changed the background on the merged jpg  a bit with Hue and Saturation and it brightened up everything. I like the way that one came oui too.

Anita-QP-6-2023BKChange-scaled.jpg

Wow, that's a complete different lookking page this way!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Quick Page Lesson 7

This is 20 years ago!  How did that happen?  It only feels like yesterday I was getting up at 3am in the days before a show to re-load the kiln. This is the years I set down my camera and got a point and shoot digital camera.  Ugh, it was awful.  so much lag time between depressing the shutter button and it actually taking a picture...this wasnt a cheap camera either.  

fonts: Madelyn calligraphy, Showcard Gothic, Magic Hopes (Creative Fabrica)

Photos: mine

QP-7-Production-600.jpg

What's a kiln??‍♂️

36 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

What's a kiln??‍♂️

A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, a type of oven, that produces temperatures sufficient to complete some process, such as hardening, drying, or chemical changes. Kilns have been used for millennia to turn objects made from clay into pottery, tiles and bricks. Wikipedia

L3766_-_Belleek_Pottery,_County_Fermanagh.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

QP-8

I found this QP at pixelscrapper and had to use it, but odd, it was difficult to find a photo that I liked to use. This one was the best so far ?

QP-8-600.jpg

WOW! That's a really unique QP.  It takes a strong picture to not be overpowered by the layout. And you've accomplished that.

On another note, that QP displays a number of strong patterns - and I've been playing with patterns (strong ones) the last day or two - an interesting way to display them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoniqueN. said:

What's a kiln??‍♂️

Ann answered this below.  Most people would know it when making pottery/ceramics.  But there is different types of kilns.  Mine was for glass, fusing pieces (melting or partially melting) together.  Because of the themal shock that can happen with glass (think when you take a hot glass out of the dishwasher and put cold water in it and it thermally shocks and breaks), kiln ramp up in temperature by certain  amount of degrees per hour, usually stays at the top temp for a period, then needs to ramp down in temperature quite slowly so it doesnt cool too fast(releieving internal stress - also called healing.  the bigger the pieces the longer the time it takes.  Here are my two kilns.  One I used for glass fusing and the little blue one was a table top one used for glass beadmaking (called Lampwork, using not a kiln to melt glass, but a oxygen/propane torch).  There are many kinds and shapes of kilns.  Glass blowers have huge ones like in Ann's photo and they will them ovens.

skutt front lid down.jpg

Skutt inside kiln.jpg

IMG_9483-resized.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, a type of oven, that produces temperatures sufficient to complete some process, such as hardening, drying, or chemical changes. Kilns have been used for millennia to turn objects made from clay into pottery, tiles and bricks. Wikipedia

L3766_-_Belleek_Pottery,_County_Fermanagh.jpg

Thanks, Ann!

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Ann answered this below.  Most people would know it when making pottery/ceramics.  But there is different types of kilns.  Mine was for glass, fusing pieces (melting or partially melting) together.  Because of the themal shock that can happen with glass (think when you take a hot glass out of the dishwasher and put cold water in it and it thermally shocks and breaks), kiln ramp up in temperature by certain  amount of degrees per hour, usually stays at the top temp for a period, then needs to ramp down in temperature quite slowly so it doesnt cool too fast(releieving internal stress - also called healing.  the bigger the pieces the longer the time it takes.  Here are my two kilns.  One I used for glass fusing and the little blue one was a table top one used for glass beadmaking (called Lampwork, using not a kiln to melt glass, but a oxygen/propane torch).  There are many kinds and shapes of kilns.  Glass blowers have huge ones like in Ann's photo and they will them ovens.

skutt front lid down.jpg

Skutt inside kiln.jpg

IMG_9483-resized.JPG

Wow, a lot of varied talent around in this group

• Love 2

41 minutes ago, fiona cook said:

Wow, a lot of varied talent around in this group

I sold all my glass studio tools and supplies when we moved to where we are now (almost 10 yrs go we moved), and last year I sold all my silversmithing tools and supplies to buy a new camera.  It's like the pre-pre-downsizing.  I chose photography and PSP to be my hobby going into that phase.  Glass/jewelery took up a lot of space.  Now I laugh because I have a photo room that is too small, and another studio in the basement for paper supplies, for paper art, photo props (huge amount taken up with this0 or whatever.  More purging to go, I want a nice streamlined studio.....that is about size of an aircraft hanger! (that might not be enough?) .

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I sold all my glass studio tools and supplies when we moved to where we are now (almost 10 yrs go we moved), and last year I sold all my silversmithing tools and supplies to buy a new camera.  It's like the pre-pre-downsizing.  I chose photography and PSP to be my hobby going into that phase.  Glass/jewelery took up a lot of space.  Now I laugh because I have a photo room that is too small, and another studio in the basement for paper supplies, for paper art, photo props (huge amount taken up with this0 or whatever.  More purging to go, I want a nice streamlined studio.....that is about size of an aircraft hanger! (that might not be enough?) .

With so many hobbies you just need a lot of space, sounds familiar??

• Like 1