What are you working on (in June 2023)?

Cassel

Date-06-2023.jpg

It is a new month and new projects.

Show off what you are working on in June be it a scrapbook page, a collage, a tutorial, or anything else you want.

We are curious and want to see, learn, and get inspired.

These threads are quickly becoming a fantastic source of inspiration, support, and friendship. Keep them coming!

Remember to size down your image to about 600x600 pixels and save it in .jpg format before posting it.

Here are a few guidelines for everyone:

• when you post a project, give as much information on your sources or techniques used. It will help others who are curious and would like to do the same.
  • if someone uses something that you like on their page, ask where they got it. Sometimes, you can go get it too and it will be better quality than trying to extract it (as it would have been resized to post in the forum anyways).
  • if it is something that they did from scratch, ask how they did it. It would be so helpful to everyone!
  • if you like a photo and would like to “play with it”, ALWAYS ask permission. Sometimes, there are some limitations and the person is not allowed to let others use it. Don’t get them in trouble. Usually, people are happy to say yes (if they can) when you ask politely. And if you get permission, you might get a better-quality image than the resized image anyways.
  • Like 1

Let's start with a new Wildcat Calendar for June. Here's the Ocelot, a medium size wild cat. Found mostly in Texas, Central and South America, and a few islands. They have been hunted for their beautiful fur coats and recently, females killed and kittens stolen for the sale as pets. That doesn't usually work out once the cat is full grown and they end up in shelters or worse. I'll post a full size image on our Scrapbooking with PaintShop Pro Facebook group.

JUNE 2023 WILD CAT CALENDAR_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Leftover Scraplift from May - Six of my grandchildren (the ones who have significant others). The only one missing is Tyler-John who is unattached at this time. The title font is Baby Olivia, the background is color fill treated to weave texture, the curved paper is treated to a pattern using the sculpture texture, the flowers behind the photos are a ribbon called Butterfly Garden-clipart 15. Brad, on the top left, is new to my digital layouts. He and Alycia, top right, are twins.

OUR MILLENNIALS_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I was surprised to learn I won the Phrase Strips script! I had to play with it which took a bit of time as I made the adjustments to the script itself (as per instructions included) and needed some help from Carole. My deadlines for two projects are now behind me (other stuff) and I can get back to PSP time.

I like the "idea" of this layout, but I'm not entirely pleased with the harsh white background. I had to leave it like that b/c I'm not much good at extracting an image and getting a transparent background (the sketch of Mrs. Roosevelt). If I changed or softened the background, then the borders of the sketch were too visible. It's a skill I have to acquire....

Otherwise, I'm happy with the phrase strips and how to use them. Thanks Carole!

Phrase Strips project May.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 12

18 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Finally got to T in the Alphabet Challenge of 2022.  Has been interesting.  Could probably do a couple of double pages for each of the M is for Memphis and T is for Tennessee.

T is for Tennessee-2_600.jpg

Looks like Happy Birthday to Tennessee is in order.  Look at how many double letters in a row is in this State.  Now that's something to celebrate!  I like the information you give in your layouts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I was surprised to learn I won the Phrase Strips script! I had to play with it which took a bit of time as I made the adjustments to the script itself (as per instructions included) and needed some help from Carole. My deadlines for two projects are now behind me (other stuff) and I can get back to PSP time.

I like the "idea" of this layout, but I'm not entirely pleased with the harsh white background. I had to leave it like that b/c I'm not much good at extracting an image and getting a transparent background (the sketch of Mrs. Roosevelt). If I changed or softened the background, then the borders of the sketch were too visible. It's a skill I have to acquire....

Otherwise, I'm happy with the phrase strips and how to use them. Thanks Carole!

Phrase Strips project May.jpg

I love this and I quite like the white background. It's a high key layout.  I also like the use of the three strips creating triangle which are very dynamic in the composition/design world.  You could try a texture but it might not look so good with the sketch graphic. I think it would detract from the cleaness and mimimalist style.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I am watching this Australian Mystery series on utube and there was a scene with a cool design in the building (picture below).  I wanted to try and receate the graphic version.  I cant wait till we do the Vector workshop.  I used vectors to create it and did some problem solving along the way.  I'm happy with what I did this time.  I didnt quite get the proportions right.  When I know better I'll do better.  I was playing with what to do with the background when I tried the gradient called "Underworld"  so my theme was gambling in the underworld (too much watching the TV show Supernatural). I used the eraser tool to fade out the bottom as if it was descending to the underworld.   It was the first time using the Custom Playing Card script from Carole.  I LOVE IT.  I learned to click "cancel" when choosing a photo and "cancel" again to continue the script and ended up with the layers of, white background and card number/suit.  I put the same gradient on the card, lightened, and put my photo's on.  I can see a lot of ways to use this script. My original layout was quite dark (my monitor is very light so it's hard to know what it looks like) so I lightened it up for the forum/gallery.  My photo's of a recent studio shoot, fun with expiring dandelions.  Font is Vanilla Right.  

House of Cards-600.jpg

Miss Fishers wharf graphic idea-resized.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love this and I quite like the white background. It's a high key layout.  I also like the use of the three strips creating triangle which are very dynamic in the composition/design world.  You could try a texture but it might not look so good with the sketch graphic. I think it would detract from the cleaness and mimimalist style.   

Hey, while I wasn't looking you added a photo! Nice to "see" you Susan.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I am watching this Australian Mystery series on utube and there was a scene with a cool design in the building (picture below).  I wanted to try and receate the graphic version.  I cant wait till we do the Vector workshop.  I used vectors to create it and did some problem solving along the way.  I'm happy with what I did this time.  I didnt quite get the proportions right.  When I know better I'll do better.  I was playing with what to do with the background when I tried the gradient called "Underworld"  so my theme was gambling in the underworld (too much watching the TV show Supernatural). I used the eraser tool to fade out the bottom as if it was descending to the underworld.   It was the first time using the Custom Playing Card script from Carole.  I LOVE IT.  I learned to click "cancel" when choosing a photo and "cancel" again to continue the script and ended up with the layers of, white background and card number/suit.  I put the same gradient on the card, lightened, and put my photo's on.  I can see a lot of ways to use this script. My original layout was quite dark (my monitor is very light so it's hard to know what it looks like) so I lightened it up for the forum/gallery.  My photo's of a recent studio shoot, fun with expiring dandelions.  Font is Vanilla Right.  

House of Cards-600.jpg

You got your beautiful dandelions in! Looks fab!

• Like 3

I tried several textures and overlays but it just didn't work. So, typical of me, I just gave up!

21 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I tried several textures and overlays but it just didn't work. So, typical of me, I just gave up!

Nothing wrong with that, if it's not working, move on and find something that does work.  It's not giving up, you solved the problem of those textures and overlays not working, so you in fact learned something from trying it.  I know it feels like giving up, but think of it as learning what isnt working often moves you back to what IS working.  Dont we learn more from what goes wrong than what goes right.  I do know all too well this part of learning is the unfun part of it

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

29 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Thank you.  I tried doing them outside too, but seems like my creativity stops at the studio door. ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Hey, while I wasn't looking you added a photo! Nice to "see" you Susan.

hahahaha.  this is actually from 2018, in the hospital when my niece who just had a baby (c-section no less) had to get up out of bed to take a picture of me and Baby Luke.  Worst. Aunt. Ever.  I look the same, still crazy hair that needs cutting badly, but much more gray at temples.  Ann has hinted I should add one for some time, so I'm seeing how long it takes for her to notice.  I will try and get a new picture sometime soon.  

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with that, if it's not working, move on and find something that does work.  It's not giving up, you solved the problem of those textures and overlays not working, so you in fact learned something from trying it.  I know it feels like giving up, but think of it as learning what isnt working often moves you back to what IS working.  Dont we learn more from what goes wrong than what goes right.  I do know all too well this part of learning is the unfun part of it

You put it nicely. Learning is the key.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 4:15 PM, Brian Dowling said:

Thanks.  Some script lines are gobbledegook to me but the parts to change are very obvious in this script.  You could, for example, make an Alpha.  These particular heart candies are not so recognisable in the UK.  Our sweet shops have "Love Hearts" which are thinner and come in a paper tube but they do have the short sentiments on them... they are hard, very sweet and in pastel colours with red text in a red heart... They now make a fizzy drink of the flavour!

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

House of Cards-600.jpg

Now that is really awesome, Susan!  Yours looks just like it!  The fading of a vector sounds like a real headache…any thing with a vector sounds like a headache…but I don’t think I could have even thought of it, much less considered how it would be done.  I can’t wait for the class on Sunday!  Maybe we’ll learn when to convert to a path, and when to convert to a raster.  LOL!  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Well, I like it plain white, so I wasn’t going to say anything here, but if you really, really want to, why don’t you put Eleanor on top on the texture?  And the Eleanor layer gets “multiply” and it picks up the color and texture of what’s below it. 

I better add a little more to the above….what I usually do, because it might be too harsh on somebody’s face.  Three layers.
the bottom is full color, full opacity.

Then your color or texture in the middle, and then Eleanor on top. You will change the middle layer of color texture to multiply, but also change the opacity slider or those texture marks will look like wrinkles on her face.  (The bottom layer is 100% whatever color you want so you paper is opaque, not matter what that middle layer.)

Edited by Suzy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Now that is really awesome, Susan!  Yours looks just like it!  The fading of a vector sounds like a real headache…any thing with a vector sounds like a headache…but I don’t think I could have even thought of it, much less considered how it would be done.  I can’t wait for the class on Sunday!  Maybe we’ll learn when to convert to a path, and when to convert to a raster.  LOL!  

I am looking forward to the class.  Thank you for your comments.  I think I had to turn it into a raster to use the eraser tool on it.  But, yeah, Vectors make my head spin.  We will take the workshop and tame them demon vectors. It is dizzying trying to remember when to convert to this or that.  I hear the words from Carole but it isnt sinking in.  I think we need to do it and struggle through the blocks that arise to actually "understand" it.  My vectors were in making shapes and sticking them together.  After the fact, since I used "spades" in the cards, it would have been cool to use spades (outline) where the little circles are.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Suzy said:

Well, I like it plain white, so I wasn’t going to say anything here, but if you really, really want to, why don’t you put Eleanor on top on the texture?  And the Eleanor layer gets “multiply” and it picks up the color and texture of what’s below it. 

I better add a little more to the above….what I usually do, because it might be too harsh on somebody’s face.  Three layers.
the bottom is full color, full opacity.

Then your color or texture in the middle, and then Eleanor on top. You will change the middle layer of color texture to multiply, but also change the opacity slider or those texture marks will look like wrinkles on her face.  (The bottom layer is 100% whatever color you want so you paper is opaque, not matter what that middle layer.)

Thanks Suzy. I'm going to try this later. The original sketch from the 'net was much darker so I used Hard Light blend mode to lighten it up.

• Like 2

So, I'm playing with Steve's Rainbow again.  I took a section of the rainbow and played with Effects>Reflection>Feedback and came up with one I liked; put it on a larger canvas size and duplicated, flipped and rotated it until I had a pattern I liked and then made a background paper of it.  Used Cass'  Mask from Mask Workshop Extra 3.  The font is Bluebell.  Canvas frame is of course from a selection and inner bevelled.

Steve's Rainbow-4_600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

Mary, that’s quite an accomplishment!  The echo is just tremendous!

Susan, I can waste maybe 6-8 hours following these PSP rabbit holes. It’s fun to do when it’s -10 F degrees outside (-23 C)  but in the height of summer there are more constructive ways for me to waste my time outside. Hahahaha. 

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

House of Cards-600.jpg

Susan, I really like what you created. I think the result is great!

By the way, any chance this was a Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries you were watching?