Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

These are awesome!  I love the textures, backgrounds and blend modes.  And thank you for the reminder about practicing a lot in the beginning of learning a new concept.  I needed to hear that.  I have been absent and playing with my camera and new RAW editor that is wildly different (than anything I've used before) and not at all intuitive for me (I knew that going in).  Thankfully, they have tutorials with practice photos.  Perhaps a break from that and practice Vectors today would be just what I need!

Thanks Susan, I was sure you would need a little break from ON1 ?. Which camera do you use?
I noticed for myself the last months, when I stop PSP completely for a longer time, I start again from scratch, even if I had previously built up my knowledge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, libera said:

Thanks Susan, I was sure you would need a little break from ON1 ?. Which camera do you use?
I noticed for myself the last months, when I stop PSP completely for a longer time, I start again from scratch, even if I had previously built up my knowledge.

I was using a Canon 7D and now I have the next generation, R7 (mirrorless).  I sold all my Silversmithing supplies/tools (last years) and traded that hobby to go back to photography.  I didnt have enough for the mirrorless lenses so I bought the adaptor and I'm using the legacy lenses (EF and EF-S).  I would love some higher end ones, but they are the same as, or more than the body was.  I  will work with what I have....until I win the lottery - without buying a ticket. ? 

What camera are you using?  I too feel like I start again with PSP if I leave it too long.  Repetition sure is the key (Sue Thomas told me that right when I was starting out) and I need to refer back to that advice way more than I do.  I like photography, PSP, paper arts and Color practice....I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I fit it all in so I dont get rusty on any of them.  Of course ON1 is a beast, but it's a pretty powerful beast...at least from the tutorials it seems like that.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I'm still practicing.  Liked the teapot tube used by Monique (Monique, you found several tubes I had missed); and so, I took just the teapot from that tube and used it with the customDirectional Script from Cassel and made a new tube out of just the teapot;  recolored a copy of my background paper, made just the teacup and saucer into a new png and used it, recolored it, made it hold tea this time, used that smoke brush in Particle shop and Aryaduta font to finish the title.

TeaTime.jpg

Mary, I just noticed your saucer is  different brightness.  How did you do that?  Are your cut and saucer two separate objects.  Same with the lip of the saucer, it's lighter.  It's very cool.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Mary, I just noticed your saucer is  different brightness.  How did you do that?  Are your cut and saucer two separate objects.  Same with the lip of the saucer, it's lighter.  It's very cool.  

When I drew my cup, on another layer I used the elipse to draw the saucer and another layer with another elipse  to make the underside of the saucer.  The colors of each (no stroke) were different shades of the same color.  Of course the underside needed to be shaped and placed so that it really looked like the underside. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

Well, I finally did an M.

M.jpg

Yaaaay!

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

When I drew my cup, on another layer I used the elipse to draw the saucer and another layer with another elipse  to make the underside of the saucer.  The colors of each (no stroke) were different shades of the same color.  Of course the underside needed to be shaped and placed so that it really looked like the underside. 

You did it very well.  I really like the look and it never occured to me to add that dimension.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, libera said:

May be you like popcorn and you were hungry at this tiime?!

Probably! ? And I do like popcorn, although I seldom eat them.

Thank you for mentioning which tube it is... I didn't know it.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I did NOT fall off the face of the earth; it only felt that way. There was an unexpected loss of someone very close, and it knocked me sideways. Life has a funny way of skewering your plans. I was all set for the Vector Workshop, then BAM!

I tried to watch a couple of videos and tried a few shapes, but my concentration was obliterated. But I did check in to see some of the posts that have appeared. So impressive. I have learned a bit more about working with those nodes, but I have to start now from Square 2. I think I have Square (Lesson) 1 under control. I need to get back in the game!

Julie I'm sorry for your loss, but be assured that PSP will be waiting for you until you are ready to use it once more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I have worked most of the day on this shape.  I just couldn't get it to save as a preset shape.  I was practicing the CRAC Paste for the open eye, and the cut and remove part for the closed eye.  All were on separate layers.  Then trying to export as a shape.  At first all it did was export the individual layer shapes but call it the name of the shape in the shape folder.  Then I went back and looked at the instructions in project 2 for saving a 2 layer label and found that you had to group the layers and name the group the name you want.  Did that.  No luck.  It wasn't until I had deleted the brush name from the shape file, and then went back to my pspimage on the group layer and then export it that it finally worked.

MLS Emoji Shape.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

For everyone who struggled with the CRAC-Paste technique, I am happy to see that you worked hard at it. Some of you have "cracked" the code to make those cutouts. As I was thinking "Wouldn't it be nice to have a script to do it for them?". Well, guess what? There already is one. And even better... YOU already have it. In fact, it is a default script that everyone has! The name of that script is "VectorMergeAndCutoutSelected". See? CUTOUT!!! Just have both objects active and run the script!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

One thing this workshop brought to my attention was tubes. The frame was made with VectorTube. I used the teapot tubes individually and changed the color to blue.

teaparty.jpg

Donna, this is impressive.  Seeing the tea being poured is really cool.  that background paper is pretty.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Cassel said:

The name of that script is "VectorMergeAndCutoutSelected". See? CUTOUT!!! Just have both objects active and run the script!

Wow, this is great. I have to try this one sometime in the future.

P.S.: I just bound the script to the Standard Toolbar so I don't forget the name... Going through the list, I realized there are so many Corel scripts I've never used.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Cristina said:

Wow, this is great. I have to try this one sometime in the future.

P.S.: I just bound the script to the Standard Toolbar so I don't forget the name... Going through the list, I realized there are so many Corel scripts I've never used.

Cristina I have a lot of Corel scripts too; most come with the program and I downloaded a couple that looked nice to me. Most of the time I forget that there might be one that I can use for a project.

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2023 at 4:14 AM, Susan Ewart said:

I was using a Canon 7D and now I have the next generation, R7 (mirrorless).  I sold all my Silversmithing supplies/tools (last years) and traded that hobby to go back to photography.  I didnt have enough for the mirrorless lenses so I bought the adaptor and I'm using the legacy lenses (EF and EF-S).  I would love some higher end ones, but they are the same as, or more than the body was.  I  will work with what I have....until I win the lottery - without buying a ticket. ? 

What camera are you using?  I too feel like I start again with PSP if I leave it too long.  Repetition sure is the key (Sue Thomas told me that right when I was starting out) and I need to refer back to that advice way more than I do.  I like photography, PSP, paper arts and Color practice....I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I fit it all in so I dont get rusty on any of them.  Of course ON1 is a beast, but it's a pretty powerful beast...at least from the tutorials it seems like that.  

Good investment! OK, we wait for this miracle, winning without buying lottery tickets ?.

When I'm on  my way to daily tasks, I still take with me an older little Canon Ixus, I love to shoot spontaneously, place enough in my bag and not heavy. I have also a Lumix G7 but still can't manage to deal with it in more detail, just learning in stages.
Have fun taming the beast ?.

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, libera said:

Good investment! OK, we wait for this miracle, winning without buying lottery tickets ?.

When I'm on  my way to daily tasks, I still take with me an older little Canon Ixus, I love to shoot spontaneously, place enough in my bag and not heavy. I have also a Lumix G7 but still can't manage to deal with it in more detail, just learning in stages.
Have fun taming the beast ?.

It's quite the beast to tame.  The mirrorless is so different, I think I was scared of it and didnt touch it for two months after I bought it.  Then i just started using it and fumbling (still fumbling) through using it.  The worst is no longer does Canon give you an indepth manual in physical form.  I dont have data on my phone so cant download the e-manual onto it.  Nor would I want to try reading pages of instruction on a tiny screen.  Here was me, running outside to shoot the moon, ugh, I hate this setting, running back into the house to the computer and then looking up/changing the setting and going back outside.  Good thing I was only in my back yard.  And thankfully John Greego (a photographer/educator) does in depth instructions on certain cameras so without him I'd still be staring at the camera inside the box.  And I've been shooting since highschool!  I dont know why I had such a block with the mirrorless.  it's much smaller thant he robust 7D so buttons and dials arent in the same places or non-existent, found only through the menu system and 13 ways to to get to each one...yeesh, all we need is two ways, the long one and shortcut.  Sadly, neither cameras will fit in my purse.  Would love to have it with me at all times.  Good luck taming your beast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

It's quite the beast to tame.  The mirrorless is so different, I think I was scared of it and didnt touch it for two months after I bought it.  Then i just started using it and fumbling (still fumbling) through using it.  The worst is no longer does Canon give you an indepth manual in physical form.  I dont have data on my phone so cant download the e-manual onto it.  Nor would I want to try reading pages of instruction on a tiny screen.  Here was me, running outside to shoot the moon, ugh, I hate this setting, running back into the house to the computer and then looking up/changing the setting and going back outside.  Good thing I was only in my back yard.  And thankfully John Greego (a photographer/educator) does in depth instructions on certain cameras so without him I'd still be staring at the camera inside the box.  And I've been shooting since highschool!  I dont know why I had such a block with the mirrorless.  it's much smaller thant he robust 7D so buttons and dials arent in the same places or non-existent, found only through the menu system and 13 ways to to get to each one...yeesh, all we need is two ways, the long one and shortcut.  Sadly, neither cameras will fit in my purse.  Would love to have it with me at all times.  Good luck taming your beast.

I don't know what happened I replied  a few minutes ago but my answer "disappeared" after having clicked on "submit reply"?! So another try.

I found a few good online courses and bought a book written by a german photographer especially for this Lumix model. But you have to look at the videos and read the book without longer time gaps at the beginning of learning, like PSP practice. it doesn't make things any easier and you threaten to lose interest in between...

i surfed for John Greenco, (very interesting sites and youtube videos) and looked for my saved ON1 links, here are a few examples, but surely you already know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgXWS8xJY4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZVzzgTxys&list=PLE67992FC392ED625
https://www.youtube.com/@JohnGreengoPhotography       https://www.johngreengo.com/

https://www.on1.com/blog/     https://www.on1.com/videos/
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001834891-Workflow