Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

7 minutes ago, Donna Sillia said:

Since I saved the original vector, I will be able to do that. I am not happy with the jagged edges on the saucer.

Did you keep the Anti-Alias? If not, you can reopen the shape, and check the dialog popup and find the checkbox for Anti-Alias.

I was working on an imported vector shape that had "lost" the anti-alias, which made all the lines jaggied. By resetting it, everything looks better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dorothy Donn said:

I have exceeded the number of downloads and the video is blacked out as well!

I don't see how the blacked-out video would have anything to do with the number of downloads. That is strange.

6 hours ago, Bobby Yeater said:

One thing I learned is when selecting nodes I hover my mouse over the center of the node until the cursor changes to a four-way arrow (like when you are moving an object) and then left click to select the node.  It worked every time.

Hey, Bobby, I’m not laughing! (Well, I did laugh at the Geaux Tigers thing you posted, but not your vector results).

I’m adding this passage of yours to my guidebook!

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

What do you mean that you missed the zip file? Did you have issues downloading it?

I must have started the video and ploughed ahead before going back and reading the instructions! No problem with the download AFTER the fact. ?

Edited by Connie Collier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

I forgot to make the hole for the coffee or tea, but it is getting easier. I had the nodes set to medium and changed them to small, and a lot of problems vanished. I also changed the DPI on my mouse and lowered the speed. The mouse is no longer jumping around so much that the symbols changed so fast that I couldn't grab them. I forgot the second hole, and there are a few things I could change. Since I saved the original vector, I will be able to do that. I am not happy with the jagged edges on the saucer.

dsflowercup.jpg

This is very pretty.  Love that pattern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Did you keep the Anti-Alias? If not, you can reopen the shape, and check the dialog popup and find the checkbox for Anti-Alias.

I was working on an imported vector shape that had "lost" the anti-alias, which made all the lines jaggied. By resetting it, everything looks better.

Cassel, are you saying that you can open an image, in this case vector image, click on anti-alias if it isn’t already checked, and it cleans up the edges a little?  After the fact?  And same with raster? After the fact? 

this is the first I’ve heard of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

Cassel, are you saying that you can open an image, in this case vector image, click on anti-alias if it isn’t already checked, and it cleans up the edges a little?  After the fact?  And same with raster? After the fact? 

this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Yes, but you would have to re-export it though.

• Thanks 1

My contribution of day 4. Made a contour of a mug and filled it with my purple color. hen a cup and saucer and finally an egg which is just for the diamond members. I didn't do anything fancy with them but concentrated on making the shapes. Today I found making the shapes a lot easier then doing it on the leaves of day 3, less notes to tweak! The cutout posed no problems. Of course I encounter most of the same problems as everybody else, but I can spot what I'm doing wrong or forgot a step. I can see that I have to practice a lot more but I'm going to like these vectors and see the possibilities they have. I'm having fun......

Vector Workshop Day4-600.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

In addition to storm cleanup, a substation shorted out because of a snake

Odd things here, also. After a power outage, all the breakers for just the washer/dryer in all the condo units (about 50) failed. The management sent out an email explaining how to "fix" it and I had to laugh at how many had no idea how to handle a breaker! (Chatted with the management later in the day when he came around to see if everyone was sorted out)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jnet Allard said:

I started yesterday and finished today.  I won't be able to go through all the posts, too dizzying for me and for that reason, I didn't create anything, just followed the tutorial.

Formes.JPG

leçon1.jpg

leçon 2.jpg

They are really nice and symetrical.  I am doing the same.  Only doing the shapes and learning how to tame the nodes...a steep curve for me.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jnet Allard said:

I started yesterday and finished today.  I won't be able to go through all the posts, too dizzying for me and for that reason, I didn't create anything, just followed the tutorial.

I hope you feel better soon, Jnet.

• Thanks 1

Nothing fancy for the cutout lesson, just a simple cup. It took me quite a while to learn the steps and how to correct things when they did not work the first time. Several start-overs and re-dos were needed. Now I'm ready for lesson 5.

Red Cup.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Bobby YeaterDid you include the diamonds in the shape or are they just added afterward? I think you are doing great despite the challenges you had.

I know that sometimes there are several ways to do the same thing in PSP, but this was how I did it:

1. For the diamonds, I traced them from the original using the pen tool onto a separate vector layer (this was the only way I could think of to color (fill) them light yellow versus the original white).  It took me some time to do this although it was good practice of techniques learned in early lessons.

2. For the two separate parts of the saucer, I used the rectangle tool to create each part onto two separate vector layers so I could color (fill) each one separately.  This was quicker than doing the diamonds (since the shapes were simpler) and, again, gave me some more practice.

If there is an easier way, I would like to know.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Suzy said:

Hey, Bobby, I’m not laughing! (Well, I did laugh at the Geaux Tigers thing you posted, but not your vector results).

I’m adding this passage of yours to my guidebook!

Great, I can now say that I have had something published! Ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am still having problems with Lesson 2. I follow all the  steps from the video, get the rounded corners on the rectangle, click on apply, then activate the pen tool. make sure I am in edit mode, if not I click on it,  and make sure I have both of my object layers selected then  right click - convert to path. Still in edit mode I add a new node, but then I cannot see where I can extend that  node. It does not give me that small icon that looks like the move tool. It shows up on the other nodes where I rounded the corners. Now sometimes I get a new layer titled  New Path. Somehow I must be missing something.

Adding to above message on 7-21-23:

I am thinking of giving up on the vectors. After several days and many hours re-watching the video and re-reading the Guide Book,  I still cannot manage to extend that node on the side of the rectangle to create a new shape. I must be doing something wrong. When I add a new node I do not get the arms to extend it. I can think of several nice shapes I could make, but I guess if I cannot finish Lesson 2,  I probably will have a hard time with the other lessons. Also, every time I open a new rectangle I have to set the horizontal and vertical to 0.00. it has been frustrating. Carole you mentioned you set those to default as there is a glitch in PSP 23. How would I set these to default? It sure would save time so that I do not have to do it manually each time after  I rounded the corners of the rectangle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

We had more storms this morning with another power outage. The loud booms and rumbles scare the cats, who may need therapy if there isn't a break soon.

Here are the Day 3 exercises.

GNL-Day3-Leaves01_600.jpg

GNL-Day3-Leaves02_600.jpg

GNL-Day3-Leaves04.jpg_600.jpg

GNL-Day3-Leaves04_600.jpg

Poor kitties!  I hope it lets up soon.  Hope the kitties (no matter the age, I call them all "kitties") find a nice dark snuggly hiding spot.  Mine are good with thunder, even the loud cracks.  but soon as one hears fireworks, she's gone to ground (in the house, they are house cats).  For that reason I am not fond of firework holidays, it's very stressful for her.  My other one runs to the window to look for the noise.  She's a weirdo.

• Love 1