Calendar Workshop 2023

Cassel

Here is my Calendar page for October.

Castle Frankenstein in Mühltal, Germany, the birthplace of an eccentric alchemist and possible inspiration for the fictional re- animator of monsters. The Castle Frankenstein is now in ruins, with only two towers, a restaurant with a vegan and kid-friendly menu, and a chapel remaining. However, the perhaps mythical connection to Mary Shelley’s novel “Frankenstein” keeps it a popular destination, especially for Halloween. In late October and early November, the Castle Frankenstein Halloween party gathers zombies, witches, werewolves, vampires, and regular visitors for scary dinners and creepy shows.

I adjusted brightness and contrast a bit on the castle picture, then I found a sunset  background at Creative Fabrica, added Gausian Blur, and layer blend mode Dissolve, and reduced opacity to 40. Fonts are from Creative Fabrica , Spiderweb and Santika Font. I also used Old English Font on Windows 10.

I have almost finished my 2 calendars and here are the covers for both of them. This year was extra special because I made one with a specific recipient in mind. The theme was for both of us a visit to our family, my daughter and her husband their son. So we both visited some of the landmarks of the state of Washington and I could display those places in this calendar. The other one I keep as a memento (beside the photo albun I had printed) and goes on my own wall.

I will post the completed calendars in the gallery as soon as I'm done. Like all of you I have loved this workshop although it took me much longer than usual to do.

Here is my Calendar page for November. November showcases the Drachenburg Castle. I am trying hard to catch up, just Dec. and cover page to do.

Schloss Drachenburg, (Dragon Castle) built between 1882 and 1884, is one of the most important castle buildings of the late 19th century in Germany. The combination of nature and culture, of scenic romance and unique history has been attracting many thousands of visitors a year from all over the world since the beginning of the 20th century. They all experience the extraordinary castle architecture, roam through the historically significant landscape park and enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the Rhine and the Siebengebirge (Seven Mountains) area.

I picked a color from the picture for the background and added the texture Blue Spruce. The font is Hesthia Austine  from Creative Fabrica.

I finally got there! The covers I have already posted  and I posted a calendar (in German and in portrait format) in the gallery. So I thought I post this one on the original templates here in this thread. Both of them are using the same fonts and most have the same photos but on my own (this one) I used some photos from places that I'm not sure the recipients of the other calendar are familiar with.

Her is my Calender Page for December with Castle Cochem all decorated fir Christmas.

Cochem is a picturesque town in the Moselle valley known for beautiful day hikes, excellent wine and cultural sights. The riverside town is overlooked by the charming castle of the same name which, in the weeks leading up to Christmas, opens its gates for a guided nativity play with actors in authentic costumes and live animals. At the end of each tour, you can stop at the small Christmas market in the courtyard. For more festive flair, head to the market square in the old town centers and end the day with a wine tasting and fresh waffles.

For the background I used a paper from Digital Scrapbooking and used a blend mode  of Lighten, then used opacity of 82. The font is called Christmas from Creative Fabrica. The Holly is from Digital Scrapbooking.

Ann and Susan thank you very much! The only thing left now is printing. As soon as I'm able to walk a little bit longer I will go to buy the paper I want to use. Of course I can ask my husband to get it for me, but he has so much to do these days to help in the house and do the shopping, drive me to rehab etc. I don't know how it is in other countries, but we have many problems with goods that aren't available at the moment, so I think it is difficult for him if the shop doesn't have the paper I want. In that case I have to look for myself what else there is and besides that I'm a bit fed up sitting at home.

Anita you have done the beautiful castles proud! I loved seeing them because it broad back memories of vacations we have had in the past, We have visited a couple of them. You have made a lovely calendar and I like the consistent look of it. I personally always like a theme for my projects.

Monique thank you so much and yes the cover is the template that belongs to this workshop, although I changed it somewhat. That's what I often do with templates to have them more the way I want them to look with my photos.

Of course I can order printingpaper online, but last year that didn't work very well. The paper that I wanted wasn't available and the alternatives were not suitable for my printer. The paper that I could get was either to thin for a calendar that has to be hanged on the wall or it was to thick for my printer. Besides that I had made a birthday calendar as well so I needed paper on which it is possible to write. Luckely I could cancel the order and in the end there were shops opening where you could come and collect at the door (we were in lockdown at that time).  Nowadays no lockdown but still a lot of things that  isn't available or cann't be delivered. I think that I'll be able to go a bit further a field next week - with my husband who has to drive me and come with me, because outside the house I still have to use those crutches - and see what I can get; there still is time to do so.

I was up burning the mid night oil last night.  Once I got started I  couldn't stop.  I didn't use last year's templates from  the  up to date challenge, which meant I  can use them for at least two of   this year's calendars.  Also this year's templates.   I like to get my calendars done  early, as they have to go International.  This year's challenge was much earlier, but as you know I was home at the time, with my old laptop, which didn't have a fraction of my recourses or  previous  year's photos.  Anyway here is a screen shot of  last night's  labour.  I still have to do a few minor adjustments and  add birthdays etc  before printing.

Susan, yes it is a Badger, I have several  that periodically  pass through, some stay, having their sets around and about.   They keep the ground squirrels under control.  It's called natural predation.  This chap was  digging, to get under the workshop, where there were several families of ground squirrels.  He stayed for  3 days and nights, before moving on.  They are becoming endangered, due to pesticides, and their habitat being eaten up  by humans.   Due to having poor eye sight I give them a wide a berth, as they can be aggressive.  They  are at the top of the food chain.  Stunning powerful creatures, that also live on insects.

For the dirt effect, on the background paper I used the dirt picture tube, which comes with PSP.  Lowering the  opacity

Thank you Corrie, it's always hard leaving.  I agree getting the body clock back into sync, takes some adjusting.  The weather is great here, although we did have a fall of snow  the day before I retuned.   I'm making the most of the last of the  autumnal  colours during the day.  In time I will be showcasing the photos I've taken, so many to sort through, and download.