Masks Workshop 2022

Cassel

Randy: (#72842) Regarding your photo's dark green background, I think the effect you'd need is the Depth of Field which is under Adjust at the top. It lets you apply a blur to the background while isolating the main figure in your photo. Or you could use the Freehand Selection tool to outline your flower and then invert the selection (Ctl-Shift-I) and use the Adjust / Brightness and Contrast tool to dim the color.  Good luck!

Sue Thomas, Thank you for the tip.

>>> I tried this but the adjustment layer applied to all layers below it, not just the picture.

As I lightened the green around the flower, my background faded out.

I tried this with brightness/contrast and also with levels in adjustments layer.

>>> I tried turning off all layers below the picture and applying the adjustment layer and it looked okay for just the picture, but then I turned on the layers below, and the same fading out of the background occurred.

>>> Were you thinking of something else?

NOTE: I combined the mask group to a single layer before trying this.

Ann Seeber, thank you.

I took your suggestion related to the use of the Adjust / Brightness and Contrast tool. It did just what I wanted, actually more than I had hoped for. The leaves which appeared so dark actually seemed to glow after doing this.

What I did ...

Adjust >> Brightness and Contrast >> Brightness/Contrast

I set the values as follows

Brightness 45

Contrast 70

Linear Mode - checked

Note: I did not want to blur the background.

The greenery is not from the tulip but I think it adds to the picture.

Here is my work after the adjustment.

Sue Thomas,

I noticed a comment by Ann Seeber, instead of an adjustment layer, she suggested using Adjust >> Brightness and Contrast. I tried and that worked.

I think the adjustment layer would have been fine if I did not have to be concerned about the oayer with the background.

Thank you. The Freehand selection was a good start.

Christiane (#72862),

I did not use a script to create the Linoleum background.

I just followed the instructions in the video.

As I worked through the video, I made notes so that I can go back and do this again (and again).

If you were responding to another Randy, my apologies.

Randy, yes the adjustment layers will effect all other layers. When I use that tool, I open a photo, which doesn't have any other layers. What you could have done is edit the background greenery photo before adding the tulip. It was my understanding that the tulip and greenery was one photo and not a composition. I see you finally achieved the effect you were looking for, that's good.

We had a great visit yesterday with Noah, my third great-nephew. His family was visiting from Texas. The tent has dinosaur scenes inside and out. My niece said that it is his favorite place to read and watch how-to LEGO videos on Youtube.

Back in my day, we had a blanket draped over two chairs so I was a bit jealous of a cool tent like that.

Carole - RE: Day 6 ... did you use the linoleum background as an overlay on the cat photo too? I used a mask with a light watercolor brush. It took about 3 clicks of the brush to get enough of the picture to come through and then the opacity was lowered to bring out the texture.

Thanks for another great workshop. It was fun, interesting, and educational.

Here's my last effort for Masks-Day 7. I used the Extra design this time as I've done polka dots, etc, last year. Here are some Sunflowers with a quote that is currently in the news using Forte font. The top photo is from THViP shot by Philip Milio, the poured watercolor on the bottom right is by my daughter, Debra Lennox. Others were found on Google Images. It's not the season for sunflowers but they are all over the news and internet right now.

Our dear Ann Seeber, and I'm only toying with you, do take it in the manner it's given. ? Your power of observation when watching a video isn't any where near are good as it is when you are proof reading our work. Carole clearly states in the lino video where to find the displacement map. There are many who prefer to follow a video, myself, I prefer to follow written instructions, always have done. By the way your last page is lovely, going out with a bang, so to speak.? The Sunflower is the national flower of the Ukraine, that is reason why it's everywhere on the www and TV.

Thank you Sue for your sensible solution for mending my bare patches on my mask. Just a bit of retouching after all!  Yes I was having trouble with creating the mask from the deckle edged frame because I made a fundamental mistake and was not creating a Floating Selection. Hence nothing much happened except I got frustrated. With a fresher approach today I finally completed Lesson 7.  For the last design in the series I used a graphic swirl that was given to us at the start from Escare Amoureuse and a frame from DigitalScrapbook.

Thank you Carole for a very worthwhile series of lessons and to see the variety of designs on the forum with all the tales and support that goes with them makes it extremely enjoyable.

Sue Thomas: Yep, me, too! I go by the written word much better than to-ing and fro-ing with a video! :-D  Thanks for your kind words on my sunflower project, which was my way of acknowledging the brave Ukrainians' struggle. I tried to avoid the obvious and just concentrated on the flowers and those powerful words.

Pirkko - Aww thank you so much, adorable yes, but I know the mischief they both get up to :)

Carole/Cassel - Have just watched the replay, couldn't watch it live as it was my bedtime in the UK! Very informative, thank you, and hopefully one day I'll do the membership... I still haven't started the Basic Course I signed up for, and am halfway through the Mask Workshop, and will begin the Quick Page Workshop when that's finished. I need more hours in the day LOL!!

It is a lovely community in the forum, just wish time allowed me to interact more as I know I am missing out on the creativeness and valuable knowledge of you all.

Hoping to get Lesson 4 of Masks completed tomorrow.