Bootcamp - January 2022

Cassel

Day 11, Project 5 - As I have worked on each page, I find I try papers or elements, and find I don't like them, and I hide the layer, and try something else...so I end up with multiple hidden layers...because, ya know, I might change my mind again! I have to wonder if others also have this problem?!?!

By mistake, I put the text all on one layer. I didn't realize it until it was time to add shadows. Is there an easy fix when you do this? I'm sure I did it the long way.

I was finishing this project tonight in PSP 2020. When I resized to 600 pixels, the black text disappeared! After trying it several times and undoing it, I closed PSP 2020. Then I opened it in PSP 2019, and black text stayed when resized to 600 pixels? Maybe 2020 was just glitchy for me tonight.

I am getting a little frustrated. Again, my long post from last night vanished. So here for the 27th.

Euka, you are right; with so many settings, it is so easy to overlook one that might have accidentally been changed. And of course, PSP should not be frustrating (although I admit, it can be at times). It is funny how the koala on the left made me think it was a sheep at first glance!

Marie-Claire, such a blog post will be on my to-do list!

Pirkko, I like that we can now appreciate the beauty of those photos. You are definitely more confident as you are creating your own elements. And yes, scripting is a whole new ball game!

Lavada, I have one detail to mention, and it is something that was not mentioned in the tutorial so it will just be some added information. Look at the paperclip. Do you see the shadow ON the clip for the little wire piece? The shadow is cast on the left side, assuming a light source on the right side. Since I always recommend using a light source on the left, therefore adding shadows on the right, that particular paperclip should have been mirrored before using it. This is only a tiny detail, but see that it now has shadows in two different directions.

Peter, maybe we can have a Zoom call to look into that Text tool issue? It might be just a simple setting or process that I can't picture without seeing.

Diane, look at the comment to Lavada about that particular paperclip that you used.

And now, onto the 28th.

Euka, did you make masks to show the photos on the squares?

Liz, did you start the pinking off the edge? It looks like when I use my pinking scissors and not going to the edge! There are a couple of resources if you want to learn a bit about scripts. There are some classes: Scripting in PSP, Using scripts in PSP, and More scripts for PSP. Those are mostly about USING scripts, and recording basic ones. If you really want to get into it (and that means some coding), there is a full course available also HERE.

Gerry, that story really made me smile. This is exactly what scrapbook pages are about. The photo alone is cute, but the story really adds to the experience.

Sharla, I am glad you enjoyed this Bootcamp. And don't worry, something else will take place soon. There is always something in the Campus.

Ann, you also know that something else will come up in the Campus, don't you? I am glad that the script will help you resize your projects.

Marie-Claire, that is a very nice poem. I might "steal" it.

Mary, I think you either forgot to add the shadows, or you uploaded the wrong version?

Susan, would you mind copying the text in text format? Although it is probably large enough to be legible on the original page when resized, it is much harder to read, and I really want to read it!

Peter, I will reiterate my offer to do a Zoom call with you. I suspect there is one setting that is incorrect in the Text tool, which would cause various issues.

Linda, yes, it is very common to have a ton of hidden layers. I work the same way. As for the different texts on the same layer, yes you can split them. Just add a new Vector layer above the current one, then, slide one of the Text objects from the current vector layer to the new one. I have done that often because it happens to me too!

Yikes! that is hard to read.  I will have to change the font on that one.  Thanks for catching it Carole.  Here is what I wrote:

“This image is from an ongoing photo project.  I work at a newspaper web press in the mailroom, where flyers are inserted into various papers via an inserting machine.  When I come in, the pallets of flyers are lined up at the machine.  I am always drawn to the patterns the flyers in the bundles make.  Normally I would do a complex zig-zag or bargello pattern placing single flyers individually.  As soon as I saw this pallet I thought it looked like old fashioned wooden carved Santa Claus (posterior view). “

Hi Carole -  Actually I never thought about a mask, although I don't think my mask skills would be that good!!  I made 4 selection boxes, lined them up then made a selection of the part of the photo I wanted to paste in.   (I have resized and realigned the 1st box!)

Cassel, thanks for your support.  I would be grateful to do a Zoom call and try to sort out my Text-tool issues.  My schedule is very flexible, so if you don't mind setting up a Zoom session - just let me know  date and time (I'm in Cemtral time zone).

I put a quote in the text box to complete the layout uneventfully (to my surprise).  If we can fix the problem with the text in the title, the layout will be done.

I'll post "Bootcamp Lessons Learned" separately.

Thanks!

Per Cassel my last Project #5 never came through from yesterday when I posted. I have relearned about shadows and selection tools plus lots of experience with Layers now.  I have PSP 2022 and like Peter I have trouble with the swatches and Text tool.  I keep trying until it works but not sure what I did.  When I copy the Vector Layer that has my text, then hide the copy and make the Original Vector a Raster Layer it doesn't say it is a Raster Layer but it must be because now I can add the shadow.

I had 2 questions when I uploaded last time but I can only remember one. Can we make our own frames from paper? Would you use the selection tool twice - once for an outer edge of the frame and once for the inner layer? Then merge the 2 layers?

I learned so much and hope I took good enough notes to refresh my memory this time. Thanks for all the tips and help Cassel.  I really enjoyed seeing all the projects and creativity, too.

Now I have to change the Tags title below to get this loaded to the right Project 5! Hope it works this time.

Lessons learned:

(1)  Always be mindful of the old computer-programmer's chestnut:  "the computer won't do what you want it to do;  it'll do what you tell it to do."

(2)  PSP diligently remembers the tool settings you last used - even if you haven't used that tool for a very long time, even if you don't remember using that tool at all.

(3) which is to say, do look over your tool settings before clicking the "Accept" checkmark.  Those settings are what you're telling PSP to do.  And PSP will do its best to follow those instructions.

(4)  And, of course, CTL+Z is a really nice way to back out of a mistake.  PSP remembers - I think it's over a dozen - of your last commands, and you can often salvage a fair amount of work, even if you've gone several steps past the "killer" mistake.

(5)  I'm glad several folks enjoyed my use of a scanned placemat as a background texture/paper on Project 4.  Textures are everywhere.  I've used photos of a hardwood floor, gray ceramic tile, a painted cinderblock wall - take maybe fifteen minutes with your digital camera and do a survey of your surroundings.  I'll bet you can find five or six likely candidates easily.

Peter, There IS a way to reset tool settings to default, but I don't exactly remember how now.  I'm sure Carole can tell us.

And you can set the number of undo/redo, in File/Preferences/General Program Preferences. At least that is how I get to it in PSP 2019. Mine is set at 250...so, in theory, I could undo a hole lot of mess. Or end up totally lost with no idea where I am or where to begin again ;)  Sometimes it may be better to just close PSP, take a walk to clear your head, have a cup of coffee, and start over at the beginning.

Here is the final project for this Bootcamp.  I have enjoyed refreshing my memory about how to do some of the things presented in the projects.  Even with it being not my first time, I have made some goofs, and appreciate Cassel pointing them out to me.  I did go back and fix them but didn't repost the adjusted projects.  I have especially enjoyed seeing all the posts from everyone. It is amazing how far along some of the newbies have come  This really says a lot about how well done Cassel's instructions are.  I can't believe how many hours I have spent doing these projects, mostly trying to decide on pictures and colors etc.    Hmmm I have no idea why the text disappeared when I reduced this to save as jpg. I did not notice it until I had already submitted it and had to go back and redue it and did not know how to get rid of the first picture.

Here is my Project 5 - Robin

We get a little Robin that visits our garden a few times a day. I am sure it's true what they say, that when a Robin is here, loved ones are near, and I always think of my Nan when I see him in the garden.

I'd never done a scrapbook layout before doing the bootcamp, and I have to admit, I have enjoyed it thoroughly. It really has been awesome to do, and I've loved seeing everyone's layouts and reading the stories behind a lot of them. I have learnt a lot about PSP too, the CTRL Y, CTRL L, the drop shadow on a different layer, and the selection use with the wording,  all of which I will continue to use for other projects. I have also learnt not to rush - to watch, listen, take each step at a time and not get so excited that I'm actually getting somewhere, and then I miss out something vital LOL!

Carole/Cassel -  Your knowledge is expanse and you have answered every question that anyone has asked, and you explain things so simply. Thank you for all of the projects and your hard work and dedication. It is all so much appreciated.

To all on the BootCamp, thank you for the amazing creations that you have shared.

Gerry, I am glad you were able to learn or relearn things. There is always so much to learn and remember with PSP.

Mary, yes, shadows give so much realism to a project.

Peter, interesting to see that you buttonized (or added a bevel) to the photo too. I love your quote about computers not doing what you want!! :)

Gramie, you can use the selection twice to make a frame using any paper. However, what is easier and more accurate is to select the outside of the frame, to promote the selection to a new layer, and then contract that selection by thick you want the frame. Maybe another tutorial in the making? Did you add two separate shadows on the flower?

Linda, one way to reset ALL the settings would be through File > Preferences > Reset Preferences. Check the blog post mentioned in my response to Anne, below.

Anne, to answer your question (very common) about the text disappearing, notice it ONLY happens with text wrapped inside a selection. In fact, it is not disappeared, but stuck in the selection and that selection is NOT resized, so in fact, the text it still there, full-size but out of the bounds of the image. I have a detailed explanation in this blog post about the Text Wrapping.

Theresa, thank you for your kind words. Yes, so many things to remember to do and not to skip. Like shadows. Many elements and papers are on a project, and it is easy to skip one (like the orange paper behind your robin :) )

Randy, you still have a couple of days to post your projects.

Thanks Cassel and everyone for responding to my problem of the text disappearing when resizing.  I seldom use the feature of text wrapping  so I don't remember having that problem.  I remember the class on that, but it has been a while. For some reason, I usually do my resizing after I save my full size as jpg, so that is probably why I don't remember this problem.

A few more thoughts on lessons learned this time around:

(1) I became pretty fussy about labeling each layer as I created it.  "Photo" rather than "Raster 1," "Beads lower R" rather than "Raster 7," and so on. It's much easier to identify which layer I'm working on.

(2) Similary, I became fussy about keeping linked elements next to each other in the Layers palette.  For example, one layout used a scatter of beads repeated four times: upper/lower R, and upper/lower L. Keeping them together makes them easier to manage (and merge, if you want to).

(3) Having the drop shadow on a separate layer is really helpful, but be mindful that it's possible to "rearrange" your layers in a way thqt separates the element from its shadow (take it from one who's been there). That doesn't hurt anything, but especially if you haven't labeled your layers for quick identification --  you may have a challenge locating it again.

(4) And of course,  if you really can't tell which raster layer is the one you need, you can always survey the project by making everything invisible, and then making one-at-a-time checks:  it's also a useful way to troubleshoot some problem that is sitting there, thumbing its nose at you.

(5) Finally, I'll finish with the advice I offered in my previous post:  check your tool settings.  Example:  I'd been having issues with the Text tool,  so Cassel helped me sort out the problem.  I returned to my project and began entering text;  the cursor was moving;  but no letters appeared.  I sat and puzzled for a moment:  that  problem was not there before!  Then I checked settings in the Materials palette and noticed that the small square below the "foreground" swatch was set to "transparent."  I'd been entering ghost characters! Easy fix.

Thanks to Cassel for the support and helpful advice.  It's been both challenging and rewarding.

Previous post also has my Project 5.  I had problems with the Text tool, but here it is finished.  The frame I chose was too narrow to use a bevel-edge, so I beveled the edge of the photo instead.

Thanks again to Cassel and the rest of the community for the support and encouragement.