Bootcamp - July 2021

Cassel

ScrapBootcamp3-800-Title-400x300.jpg

First of all, come and say HI once you register for this bootcamp.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer everyone up.

Everyone started as a beginner, so don't ever compare yourself to others. You will learn one tool at the time, one concept at the time and you will create one project at the time. Everyone will have different photos and possibly different supplies so every project will be different.

Once the Bootcamp is started, on July 12th, 2021, you can post your projects in here.

Remember to resize your images to about 600 pixels AND saving in jpg format, before uploading it so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces. Try to follow the tutorials at least enough that we can recognize what lesson you completed.

Now, let's get ready !

If you missed the registration link or if you found this thread before I announce it (some people are very observant), HERE it is. Share it around if you want.

Although this Bootcamp is mostly meant to help beginners, we won't exclude anyone for "excess experience". Some participants are back for a second round. You are always welcome. Remember that it will be the exact same tutorials so don't be surprised. I am sure you will now do something slightly different than the previous time.

Since anyone can follow the whole Bootcamp using the trial version of PaintShop Pro, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone to give it a try and see how they like the program, so share with your friends who MIGHT consider using PaintShop Pro.

The 7 tutorials will be spaced out over almost 2 weeks. This should make it easier for participants to follow without feeling stressed (it should never be stressful!).

Hi, I'll open the list of participants. This is my second time bootcamp. The first was in March of last year and besides my photos I didn't have any supplies or knowlegde of scrapbooking at all. I have been wanting to do the bootcamp again for a while but every time there was a reason I couldn't follow it. Things like having a bonebruise in the hand I use the mouse, husband in hospital, doing the basis studygroup, PC died on me and it took me weeks to install everything back on a new one etc....But now I'm ready (if all goes well) to see what I missed the first time round or what I have forgotten. Welcome to all the new participants (hopefully a lot) and I hope you will enjoy. See you around!

Hi Corrie and everyone. I'm here again. I do this every time it's offered. I love Cassel's designs and always pick up something new from each class. I'm from New York and we're just coming out of the pandemic shut-down so these classes have kept me sane for the last year or so. Here's a photo I MIGHT use; this is my granddaughter with Marshmallow, the porcupine baby at her zoo. So, come on in, the water's fine! ;-)

Hi Corrie Hi Anne,

<p style="text-align: center;">     You guys are so good, and cool like Cassel :)       :)</p>

<p style="text-align: center;"><b>Your Granddaughter and marshmallow are Beautiful, </b></p>

this is my bruce thank Goodness he is tiny, or I don't know.      Could not find any new pictures but this one I took for a family member to tell them to go here.  I love Catfish this ones good but no frills at all.

Oh here is my bruce.

Hi, Susan here, from St. Albert Alberta.  I still consider myself a Westcoast girl though, spending most of my life in the Fraser Valley area, or Okanagan area of British Coloumbia.  I took my first Scrapbook Bootcamp in May of 2021.  I have had PSP since 2018 and never knew how to use it.  An email from Corel about a "free" class on how to use layers in PSP had me intrigued, maybe I'd finally learn how to use PSP.  What a great experience the bootcamp was.  I signed up for the Basic class too which was a really good next step in learning.  I am back for more; it takes some time to drill stuff into my thick head.  I would have liked to post a picture but my computer is doing a loooong back up.  Looking forward to seeing the layouts we all make.

Welcome to Corrie, Anne, Cindy and Susan.

Yes, repetition is always good and it also tells me that you were not traumatized the first time around!

Did you invite anyone to join? Registration will stay open a few days, even after the start. Challenge a friend or a relative!

Hi from me too, I almost gave up participating at the bootcamp, never reached the end but I decided to give me another try!

@Susan Ewart

Be sure you will learn a lot step by step and won't regret to have joined the Campus. I registrated 2 years ago but not because I was a scrapbooker. I started again with PSP, looked for interesting tutorials and discovered the Campus by accident. I even switched the PSP language from german to english. You will find great inspiration and meet a lot of fantastic people, our teacher included of course. And one of Carole's famous sentences: have fun!

Hello:

This is my first time with Boot Camp. My PSP is set up with the regular settings. A few things different is I have white lettering and black background. My icons are also large for my eye sight. I did not change my palette settings at all.  My photo is a picture of  flowers we had planted in our back yard.

:) Janet

I have made a lot of pictures of wildflowers this year. Because of the lockdown I had to stay in my own neighbourhood and see what was available. Here is one of them that I plan to use.

The color of my workspace and my background is light grey. I use the layerspalette, the tool options palette and the materials palette; the last one I keep floating. I have no tabbed documents and for better visibility I use bigger icons.

Carole has provided a Cheat Sheet and I cann't stress the importance of it enough. When my computer died on me a couple of month ago I had to install everything from scratch including a new version of PSP. It was very helpfull I had this sheet printed and could use it to customize my new PC/PSP !

Hi

My name is Winona, Nonie for short.  I have been using PSP for several years now and have already learned something in this first lesson I guess you never to old to learn. LOL  I love working with PSP and am using PSP2020 have purchased PSP2121 but have not set it up yet.  I work with tags for various project that we use on our site.  Myself and my two sister are taking this class together.  Looking forward to learning more and doing more classes in the future.  Thank you for the opportunity. My picture is of flowers that my oldest son gave me this Mother's Day.

Nonie

Hi!  My name is Pixie and I have been using Paint Shop Pro for many years.  I do more "tagging" or signature tags than I do scrapbooking, but I have in the past created my own scrapkits.  My sisters and I do tourney pages and league pages for social gaming sites.  Nonie is a 'veteran' of about 5 years or so and Janet is new to PSP.  We are taking the bootcamp together to learn new things.  I already "relearned" something in just todays lesson.  I am using PSP2019 for these lessons, but also use PSP 9, x7, 2019, 2020 and have 2021 but have not set it up as yet.

My workspace is set for Essentials, dark with materials and layers palettes visible.  I am looking forward to learning and relearning as we go along.

I will be working with a picture of hydrangea, to begin with.

Hi, I'm Bob. I've been using PSP for several years to do minor touchups on my photos, but feel that there is so much more I could be getting out of it. The biggest problem is my love of procrastination, so having seen Carol's work via Corel and also many good comments about the Bootcamp in the past I've finally decided to jump in head first.  I did this with two photos I took after a relative in the construction trade made comments about the price of lumber. (edited to resize photo, guess that is my first lesson!)

Hi, I'm Marvin. I've had PSP for a few years but haven't used it as much as I wanted. I am using PSP 2021 Ultimate. I am semi-retired, and now that I have more time I want to learn how to become proficient in using PSP for modifying photos. My goal is to prepare photos for use in creating slideshows. I am using the software Photopia Director for this. I am unfamiliar with scrapbooking, and as I learn about it, it might become another hobby. The photo I am posting is of my parents when they were first married.

Wow Anne, what a beatiful stained glass that is.  Cant wait to see what you do with it.  Agree with you, I want to watch (and re-watch ) the videos and take more notes this time around.

I just watched the set up video and realized how much I forgot.  I do prefer a dark workspace, I find it's less hard on the eyes, since it's not so bright.  I am using PSP 2020 and it had tabbed windows, I didn't like that and this video (the first time around) helped me make it untabbed.  I like that much better.

Hi Dennis.  I was in your shoes last May.  I was about to give up learning PSP (and I had been buying it since 2018 and never used it) and this class came along at the right time.  the instruction is really good and thorough.  I found I did lots of rewinding and doing the action then playing and rewinding as needed.  I watched the whole lesson first then ended up watching it on my laptop and pausing at the spots where I would then do the actions on my desk top, then play more and do the actions and so on.  I am not good at watching on the same computer as PSP and having to switch back and forth.  The forum is great to get help, I learned a lot from other peoples questions as well.  Looking forward to seeing your pages.  Whether you scrapbook or not, this is really good way to learn layers and lots of other techniques.

Welcome back Libera. I am glad you are giving this another shot. And remember, we are here to help if you get stuck!

Hey Lavada. I also love PSP9. That is the version I use when I code my scripts so it is always open on my computer. You will notice a few differences with the version used in the videos, but I am sure you can ignore those. If you are lost with instructions you cannot seem to follow with 9, just post the question and I'll guide you.

Anne, welcome back. It is amazing that every time one goes through the Bootcamp, they remember or notice new details. Will you be using that stained glass in one of your layouts?

Janet, glad you made it after the system thought you were spam!!! And if anyone else reads this, if you are not getting emails as expected, drop me a note so I can fix that in the backend.

Corrie, flowers seem to always be a great theme for layouts! They never shy away from the camera!

Welcome Cristina M. (I will have to try to remember to use your initial because we have another member named Cristina). Don't worry about your English. We can read you fine. Even when you make your layouts, you can add titles and text in your own language if you want. I hope we will see more of those cute furry friends.

Welcome to the Bootcamp Nonie. I am glad you found something new to learn already. I am curious: what is it? I am so happy to see siblings participating together.

Hey Pixie, you are the one who brought in your sisters, right? Several members have tried to coax friends or relatives to join but very few were ever successful. You mention that you have the Essential workspace. May I suggest you use the Complete one instead? The Essential workspace will be missing some settings that are going to be quite useful.

Ann, will we see Adam on some layouts?

Robert, I am glad to see you decided to join. I am also happy that those comments you read about the Bootcamp motivated you. Although the main theme of the Bootcamp is not specifically about editing photos, you will learn how to use many tools and show off those photos of yours!

Welcome Marvin. We have several participants in past Bootcamp who did discover scrapbooking and a new hobby. You will see how you can use those scrapbooking techniques in making your slideshow in a different way. Although some people will print their layouts, others make slideshows too.

Welcome Dennis, I am hoping you will be learning new things to use your PSP more efficiently.

Susan, tabbed windows is the default but it is so hard to know what you have to work with. Unchecking that is the second setting I change whenever I install a new version (after changing the color, as I prefer the lighter version).

I am particularly happy to see all those new faces post in the forum. Those who are still waiting, com'on. We are looking for you.

If you know anyone who wants to join, registration is still open for another couple of days.

And remember to NOT stay stuck. If something is unclear, ask the question. There is no stupid question. Everyone has been a beginner once, and someone probably encountered the same issue before. We are here to support each other.

Thanks a lot Carole, but the problem was only the lack of time due to my job.

So many new participants, that's really fantastic. So heartly welcome to all!

Day 1- Workspace costumizing

I set welcome as default (Preferences-Tabs) because I love to click on "what's new, learn, store" and so on. I dot it quite often and it's a pleasure to see all these possibilities.

I chose the complete workspace from the beginning on, workspace and background colors are sometimes medium grey,  mostly light grey. I tried to set different colors for both, but the settings do not remain. When my eyes are too tired I change from time to time the icon and text sizes.  Another reason to have chosen "complete" is, I like to use the Manage tab. It's a very convenient way to look for your picture material.

Tabbed documents is activated, I'm used to, but it's really easy to change. Rulers, guides and even snap to guides are activated.

Material palette and Layers are mostly set on "docking", sometimes on "auto hide", the organizer closed. I like to use from time to time the help topics,the user guide and the learning center.

An interesting point concerning the learning center is, when you do your work and click on a tool at the toolbar left (for example  clone brush)  and then click on F10 you get a short information for exactly this tool and at the end more details, if you want to go on. May be a good thing for beginners too.