BOOTCAMP March 2021

Cassel

Working with 2 of my favorite people made this a very enjoyable page, plus I'm home alone today.  I learned quite a lot and most of it I should have know long age.  After all I have had PSP since V7.  Should be able to turn it wrong side out and back but I can't

I can't get over the activity with this group, I've taken the camp before but I think this is the most active group and everyone has done do good.  So many different colors and arrangements and all of them so interesting.

I hope everyone can keep up the good work.

Fran, for your project 1, you might want to remove the shadow on the title because it makes it harder to read AND ink does not have a shadow. If you want to make it look like the letters were cut out of paper, the shadow would need to be darker and thinner (since the paper is flush with the base) AND the letters would need to be much larger (can you imagine cutting such small letters?). If your shadows are on a separate layer, try to hide that layer and see if the difference will make sense. The shadows on the mice, and the papers are all very consistent. On your First Ride project, did you happen to flip or rotate the string after you added the shadow? It looks like it is in the opposite direction, which would happen if you rotate it after the shadow is in place. Do you see how it is going toward the upper left?

Wendy, the layering on your project 1 is interesting. Are the flowers on their own layers and you use them as overlay on top of both papers (the background and the blue strip)? Or are they both papers with the same flower pattern? As for saving, there is an auto-save that you can set to save every 5 minutes for example. It is a bit annoying when it saves in the middle of working as it seems to "freeze" your PSP, but it is good when something happens and you have not lost everything. For your project two, on the other hand, you can consider slightly more visible shadows on the flowers and greenery. Did you add shadows to the green plaid paper? And on the striped paper for your other layout?

Paul, if you want to tone down your paper, you can but I don't find it overwhelming at all. I find it creative how you layered the drops on the corner of your photo!

Sue, was that Project 1 or 2, that you did with the slats?

Mary, you have been busy with that project 1 layout! I see that you are getting comfortable with doing more than the basics! Recoloring gives so many options when doing digital scrapbooking! Do you have a picture of the glass bridge? Did you go?

Ann S., that is a simple way to create a paper that will perfectly match your photo!

Laurie, I see you also changed the color of the dishes. Are you drinking milk in that cup? On your project 1, it is correct to say that the shadows don't show but you are also better to add them anyways, as sometimes, you might want to move elements and then, their shadow would show.

Anne B., happy to see you post your projects. Your sandwich might be simple, but that is exactly what was asked so it is perfect. Your first project is very well done; simple and effective in showcasing the photo!

Anita, I agree with you; the birds could be too appealing to the lions! Unless you had put them very high, maybe above the title!? I have a suspicion that the shadow on the photo is either missing or hidden. The zebra head is so cute on the other page!

Randy, your project 2 is quite interesting. I would suggest that you reduce the shadows on the text a little. The thick shadows give the impression that the letters are very thick (which would likely be too heavy for a paper background). I think you set up the horizontal offset twice the vertical offset. I think the vertical offset is correct. It is just the horizontal offset that seems a bit too wide.

Ron, maybe after the Bootcamp, you can come back to your pickles to slice them. After all, that sandwich won't go stale after a week or two! For project 1 you posted a fun template from Corel. I understand that you are not a scrapbooker (and you will find other participants are like you), however, those mostly exercise to practice different tools and commands in PSP, which you will find quite useful to make collages too!

José, welcome to the Bootcamp. Did you add the shadow to your photo? If so, maybe the darker background needed a larger shadow? Looking forward to visiting that city in future projects too.

Revisted: Images used were characters drawn by a friend's daughter. She uses these characters to illustrate the books she writes using one of the kids social sites. Template used is from one Corel's weekly freebies.

Here's my third bootcamp project, I'm not a big fan of glitter, but I have used 3 photos.  I used a font snowflake on the edge of the gradient paper. I also used an overlay.  Robins arrived on the 18th, which is wonderful, as you can see I still have snow. I was hoping they would arrive on their due date, so I could use them in the bootcamp. I used colours from the  photos for papers, creating effects of  flowing water and movement. Sorry it's  not really in keeping with the  tutorial. I used the paper  to create the word robin.

OK. Guess that's because I probably put in a website where I normally spent my time instead of scrapbooking. I do free edits for people at that site. Also, I was explaining what site my neighbor's daughter was using those characters in the books she writes. Spam filter doesn't like the names of websites even though I used "DOT" instead of a period. But doesn't explain why it was posting my content ok at first with all the HTML in it. Only deleting it after I went back and edited the HTML out.

Wow, that was harder than I thought it would be!  I tried clicking on the "bread" in the image window rather than on the layers area, and the stuff just kept disappearing completely!  After reviewing the tutorial more carefully, I clicked on the Layers "bread," etc., and things proceeded much more predictably.  It was a great learning experience and I learned a lot from my mistakes.  Thanks for starting this bootcamp with baby steps.

I updated the text to add some explanations about project 1. Not going to make corrections of the HTML I see again but wonder if you can see the HTML yourself. That is similar HTML content put in that caused me so much trouble and made the post disappear when I edited the HTML out on previous tries.

Hello. The photo is a section of the "Parque de las Palomas" (Pigeon Park) in Old San Juan. The photo was taken on September, 2019. All papers and the leaf are from Pixel Scrapper. The two pigeons at the left are from Pinterest. Question: Does a limit exists on the size of the project file, i.e. does the file size should be less than 100K or 200K or 250K, ...?

Sue, you are referring to the second project, but I don't see the image. Do you? I am surprised that the robins arrived at your place while we have not seen any here yet.

Randy, those photos are interestingly cropped. It is unusual to see such wide photos that are not panoramic, but with those boats, they are perfect for the theme. I cannot comment much on the shadows as the background papers are dark so they are a bit harder to see, but that is nothing wrong with the layout! If I could make one suggestion, I would put the buoy over the papers as it would be an interesting object to see in its whole. And the rain effect is well done.

Laurie, your Hiking the trail is very well done. Few elements and great shadowing. It looks like you are definitely getting the hang of it!

Peter, I am glad you didn't give up on the sandwich, and yes, this exercise is meant to get you to repeat the same steps multiple times so they get more automatic.

José, to answer your question, there is no limit to the file size. As long as the image is 600 pixels, the file size will be manageable. Your second project is great. You are getting it!

That was supposed to be a reply to one of your posts. My project 1 with image was on March 20, 2021 at 11:57 pm where you did remove the HTML. Must have posted incorrectly. Too bad replies do not indent under original posts being replied to. :D

That is strange, because I can view all of  my posts, including this one with the comments I made accompanying  the pages.  Anyway here is  my 2nd project.  You usually have Robins before we do, saying that Randy said he took his first photos yesterday of Robins.  He's in Quebec.

Here is Lesson 4: Carole's "Friendship" page. I have 3 American robin photos from the photographer Izzy Martinez which are perfect for this exercise. I call it "Rockin' Robin." The font is Farmhouse and I created the plaid using the colors of the left photo. My PSP2021 choked on enlarging so using directions from Merlin at Corel Customer Care, I upgraded my Intel graphics software. Merlin was super efficient and helpful. Crossing my fingers that PSP will continue to behave.  I'm also adding the pattern file for the plaid if you wish to copy it. It's a 500px square. When I used it with my flood fill tool, I applied it at a 45 degree angle. Just leave it open on your workspace and PSP will use it as a pattern in your Materials pallet so you to add to your own work. I like to make plaids from photos so the colors match.

Wow! Everyone's been so busy and wonderful results. I'm still working on Day 5 (Adventure). But I will show you what I did work on - what Laurie referred to as "top picture". I had started to work on that last year but was unhappy with the results and I was too new at that time to make my own papers. However, now I know how to do plaid paper working with colors in the photo, so this is what I came up with. OOpps! No shadows. So 1st pic has the shadows.