BOOTCAMP November 2020

Cassel

Grrr... gremlins ate my post of last night!

Pat, you did manage to post those images. It is totally fine to use a different kit than what I post. I only offer them there to help those who are totally new and never downloaded any supplies. on your New kid on the block layout, I would suggest that you darken a bit your shadows. If they are still on their own layer, you can go to Adjust > Brightness and contrast > Brightness and contrast and lower the Brightness value a bit like maybe -20 or -30. See how it makes a difference.

Cristina, you have to invite us to eat all that food! For your project #1, we can see how simple is very effective!

Raymond, it is great to see you having fun with making those colorful backgrounds! About the text, was it still in Vector format?

Shirley, you did a great job with the shadows too! Nice page to honor your mother.

Anne, L, I hope you find a way to add that story to the page because it surely adds to the interest. I would like to point out the shadows you used on the title; it seems a little too "offset", giving the letters the impression they are floating. On the other hand, I think you might have forgotten the shadows on the white beads.

De, great page to showcase those flowers! I would like to point out that the shadows are inconsistently oriented (maybe you flipped the top left hearts?)

Sandra, you are also having a lot of fun with those backgrounds! You should consider adding details to your page, like a name and a date.

Cindy, what kind of pie did you choose? You will have to share that with everyone else! It is a great idea to use the golf balls as marshmallows! From a distance, it does the trick!

Linda J. W. welcome back to the Bootcamp. You have three tabs on top because that is a version before they added the Photography workspace. Also, if you go to File > Preferences > General Program Preferences > Tabs, you can select which tabs you want or don't want to see, especially if you don't use them. If you add a chocolate sundae to your lunch, I want one too!

Vicki, that is a fun way to use the ricrac! May I suggest that you darken the shadow under the text to make it stand out a bit since the text and the background are both light in color?

Priscilla, I love the way you have a wide shadow on the strings element. However, I would like to share a little trick with you: do you see how that shadow has a gap on the very top? Since you should not raise the shadow, raise BOTH the shadow and the strings, just enough to remove the gap. It is not much but will add realism. Oh, and did you forget the shadow on the paper under the photo?

Hi Carole,

I meant those shadows, on the hearts, to be more like brackets around the picture. I guess that didn't work. Do I need to redo it, or just move on to the next project? Thanks in advance. D

For my 2nd project I used three grunge backgrounds, a picture of my 5 koi, the oldest which is 13 and the youngest 10. After adding the elements I wanted to remove the border around the photo so I used the copy tool on one of the grunge backgrounds and used it on the photo layer to hide the edges. I then used the push tool to try to blend the edges into the background around the photo. Again, Carole, thank you for your excellent instructional video.

I have really enjoyed seeing what every one else is doing with the tutorials.  Its really amazing seeing all the creativity every one is doing.  I have also love seeing all the photos.

Day # 5 =  I used the papers and stamps from a kit called “A Wind Called Mariah” designed by ADB Designs.  I made the flowers myself using a tutorial from Cassel with the Diamond Membership on the Campus.

There is so much to learn and I am having a wonderful time doing it .

For some reason, I was unable to get in here earlier. Here is my Day 5, Project 2 layout. The green, embossed background paper was created by me for one of the bonus challenges I host on another site. The other two papers, wreath, birdhouse and fence elements are from a kit I made a few years ago named Country Roads The photo elements were extracted from my own photos. I am a full-time RVer, and this is my home on wheels. The title font is Beauty School Dropout. Thank you for more invaluable pointers today, Carole. This boot camp is really going to help me

Jacques, your choice of colors for the papers is perfect as it matches the orange of the couch. The shadows are also on point. For your underwater adventure, it is also great.

Shirley, finding the perfect photo is often a challenge. You are not the first one to mention that! Did you make those plaid papers or were they supplies you had downloaded?

De, you never have to redo a project. You can if you want, or you can just apply the suggestions to the next project. Either one is fine. For your adventure layout, you worked with the shadows very well. Only one detail, and I am not sure if your element already had shadows but by rotating it, do you see how the shadows on the top-left element are toward the top. This is a common situation. If you added the shadows yourself to the bottom-right element, you need to rotate the duplicate of the element before adding the shadow. If the shadow is already integrated to the element, you should avoid rotating it a lot (a little bit won't be as noticeable). It is all about consistency.

Alice, that is such a lovely photo! Although you surely know the date of this photo now, who knows if you will remember later. Find a way to add a date to your project. It is a simple detail that we will often forget.

Raymond, koi can live that long??? You managed to blend the edges so well that I cannot find them at all. That is great work. Your choice of a grungy font is also a perfect match for the background. That sunset is absolutely breathtaking. Just to help me out; is it one of the project of the Bootcamp or just another one that you were practicing with?

Priscilla, I would suggest you use black or dark grey for the shadows. By reducing the opacity a bit, it will let the background color show through "naturally". A thinner shadow will also make your elements appear "glued" to the paper, instead of floating. Will you add the names of those stars on your project?

Linda J W., do you happen to know the approximate year that photo of your mom was taken? If you can figure something at least approximative, you should add it to your layout. A great piece of family history.

Vicki, I am really glad this Bootcamp is helping you and that you gather tips and tricks in every lesson. You really have such great photos, I am sure you will never run out of them for scrapbooking! Your revised layout definitely shows the text much better.

Carole, Koi have been known to live as long as 200 years but the average lifespan is 20 to 50. When we first bought them they were a maximum of 4 to 5 inches. When the temperature in the water dips below 55 degrees F, I stop feeding them. I won't feed them again where I live until most likely early March. They go into a state of dormancy like hibernation and mostly lie on the bottom even though the pond may be frozen everywhere except where running water from a fountain, etc. is running freely. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the project.

The sunset project I made but tried to follow your instructional video using different textures such as the tan band horizontally near the top and adding an element, a *.png file for the outline around the periphery. I had forgotten to use a drop shadow around the date, but later added one. I remembered I had downloaded some "Thanksgiving" *.jpg files and wanted to use them plus since my son is coming for Thanksgiving this week I thought it may be a good way to utilize both.

I discovered I could use the "Scratch Removal" tool on the layer that has the periphery leaves and not worry about removing anything else. I think I like it better without the decorations over the water.

Ann, I think the photo you "borrowed" and helped to clarify looks fantastic.

Some of the tables are amazing, not sure how you did it!

My page for Day 5 of the Nov 2020 boot camp.  The background is one I created in another program a long time ago.  The other papers are created from the same one with the color changed, and resized as needed.  The original picture was taken on a whale watching boat side trip.  We did see some whales, but on the way back in the tour guide spotted this with the seals on the buoy and the eagle sitting on top.