Covid-19 - Are you affected?

Cassel

This recent virus has now reached the whole world, affecting many countries in different ways. It has caused health issues for some, isolation/quarantine for others, loss or major change in work and life habits, and more.

Have you been affected by this virus and various measures that were put in place in your area or country?

Let's share and see how we are all in this together.

As of 3pm today, our province has determined that all non-essential government services are to be suspended. We were sent home with no work, however, we have to stay available in case they need us among the essential services. We were instructed to isolate ourselves except for essential errands (groceries and medical appointments) in order to prevent general contact with others. We are not quarantined but are asked to stay in our houses/properties.

All colleges, schools, and daycares are closed. All "recreational" buildings (libraries, pools, arcades, sports center, etc.) are closed.

How about you?

Schools, churches, community centers, gyms are closed. We are being asked to distance ourselves from others...essential errands/trips only. Many are working from home. Many restaurants are serving drive through only...no dining room. My bball tournament/trip was canceled; the play I planned to attend was cancelled; my pickleball clinic/trip was cancelled. So....I am cleaning house, preparing taxes and trying to find a moment to scrap.

I am extremely grateful for my health and fitness level. My age puts me at risk but otherwise no problems...and I minimize the risk because of age. I did not panic buy and am staying home even tho I really don't want to.

Everyone be cautious; stay well; and scrap, scrap, scrap.

I am a full-time caregiver to my housemate so I am never away from work 7 days/24 hr on-call job. I only see my daughter when she takes us to Dr. appts, and while out for those we grab anything needed to avoid any excess trips or exposure. My sister is 2 hours away across a state line and prayers for her please, she is a nurse for 45+ years now and works in the birthing center.

I had Dr office visit for labs and they were screening every patient as they came in. Drive-through only fast food and pharmacy, or delivery, but grocery will remain open. All schools, public gathering places are shut down for 4 weeks, maybe longer. The Air Force base is locked down. We have 4 confirmed cases in our city/county.

Shopping took 3 long days (instead of 1 afternoon), still had all the household duties, and putting up the extra supplies. Just totally worn out physically and emotionally.

Hello everyone,

I'm so sorry for those of you that have had your lives turned wrong-side up, I miss the usual buzz of activity around here and hate knowing so many are experiencing stress. Although, being 77 puts me in the vunerable age category, being isolated at home is pretty normal for me. I no longer drive and today my Dr.'s appointment was postponed for three weeks, so in that way I think I am low risk, except for worrying about my husband who must still go out and about doing the shopping and making

a living for us, my stress is less than many. 

I never sleep more than 2 to 4 hours a night so I'm up most of the time, for not getting much sleep

I usually feel pretty good, but every once and a while it catches up with me and I crash.  This afternoon was one of those times when I just felt terrible and had to lay down. Usually a couple of hours nap leaves me feeling better.  This afternoon was different however, because of this terrible Covid 19 scare my husband was panicking and wanted to rush me to the hospital and they have enough to do with actual sick people. I'm afraid many are going to panic as the possibility of losing someone they love becomes reality. Fortunately, when I woke I felt fine and was able to reassure him, he panics more easily than I as I am a bit of a stoic.

My greatest hope is that this hideous virus passes thru quickly, touching as few lives as possible,

it's a wake-up call for all of us, reminding us of the things that are truly important in our lives and especially treasure those that we are fortunate to love and be loved by.  Be safe! Thank goodness we have scrap-booking and this PSP group to keep our minds from dwelling on the possibilities. Be Calm and stay safe.

Hugs,

Diana aka PandorasHatBox

P.S. Let's make plans to celebrate St.Patrick's Day big time next year.

We the over 70's are quarantined, have to isolate ourselves,  easy for me as I have been housebound still christmas, just the shopping is a problem, the support I had has disappeared, as they can no longer visit me, and supermarkets delivery's are booked for 3 weeks, I have manged to get a slot for the 4th, but there shelves for what I need are sold out.  The streets are empty outside and the schools shut down on Friday.  Its Mothers day here on Sunday, so many mothers will miss there visit from there children  Even the TV programme have ceased filming, so all our soaps are being stretched out over a longer period, twice a week instead of everyday to make the ones recorded last longer.

Heard from my cousin in Spain today, everything is closed down except supermarkets and pharmacy's, which like us is limited on supply's, they to are in lockdown, thankfully my cousin still has his career as he has Huntingdon's ,  the streets there are patrolled by guards and the police, and those found outside have to prove they have a good reason for doing so.

They announced the first case in Norfolk this morning and last week the first couple in Virginia Beach. The gentleman in Norfolk recently returned from overseas (Norfolk is a large Naval Base town) and the couple just returned from a river boat cruise on the Nile.  The outbreak to the north of me in Williamsburg is in nursing home with about 17 folks infected.  I am self isolating since I have age, (also 77) previous conditions of stroke, heart attack and breathing problems of asthma, bronchitis, and copd.

I sent John to the stores to stock up on food and meds on March 2 when hardly anyone was thinking about what might happen here so we should be fine.  We also withdrew some cash from the bank just in case it does get really bad, but then again I am too used to hurricanes and know the break downs that can raise their ugly heads afterwards.

Did I ever mention waking up to a tiger in my backyard after Hurricane Andrew?   We lived just under a mile from the Miami Zoo back then.  After that storm a lot of South Florida folks moved here to Virginia Beach. Same weather conditions here thanks to the Gulf Stream.

May I wish you all well as we the world  keep pushing forward towards a better day.

Hello my Scrapbook Campus Friends. Australia is very slowly succumbing to the virus as are most nations from what I hear. There are so many differing restriction laws bouncing around from nation to nation that it only serves to confuse most of us.

New Zealanders responded very quickly and I applaud them. It is interesting that the over populated country of India was managing to contain the virus but it would appear on this morning's news that their numbers are rapidly growing.

Here in Australia we have been asked to restrict our excursions, limiting them to essential only, such as doctor, pharmacy and supermarkets. We have also been asked to maintain a 4 square meter distance between each other. Can you imagine how that rule would apply in India! The supermarket shelves are sadly empty of a lot of items ... toilet paper, tissues, hand sanitizers and ground/minced meat. I am not sure why the meat is on that list but at times like these ... go figure! Games, concerts and any public gatherings have been cancelled. Our Prime Minister was most ashamed of the panic buying and gave those Aussies responsible a well deserved slap on the wrist via a dressing down on national tv. Unfortunately, a lot of people become self absorbed during these times ... hopefully I do not venture down that track.

I am in self isolation for 2 weeks as I collected two friends from the airport on Thursday. They had arrived back to Hervey Bay from Sydney (an Australian hot zone) after disembarking off a cruise ship which has since been declared as COVID-19 impacted. We had a 2 hour trip from Hervey Bay to Bundaberg in the confined space of a car so I think it only fair that I keep myself away from the public. I will be 68 in June and I have copd so a little comprised there.

It is a sad time for planet Earth and it's inhabitants. I wish everyone the very best of health and may your inner peace over-ride any fears during these times. Please know that you are always in the perfect space for you!

Hugs and Love ...... Annie T

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, and yes I am effected here in  California we have been shelter in place for going on three weeks now and as this past Monday April 1st the governor has ordered, put in place that other the important jobs which we all know what that falls under that everybody stays home, schools are closed for the rest of the school year here . Myself have been  at home for four years now was working in the Medical field up to 4 years ago when my mom fell and broke her shoulder and she was 83 yrs old so my world changed I now stay at home and take care of her I am her caretaker so used to being at home .

I enjoy playing /creating graphics , beading , and making cards you look at my front room where I create at and can tell I love to create stuff everywhere lol. Have played around with psp for about 5 yrs and have learned a lot more since  scrapbook campus .

Looking for Tutorial on working with sections and making them ?

• 1 year later...

Over a year into this.

Did we ever think we would still be here, battling this over 18 months later? Who could have guessed how much this would have affected everyone?

Stay safe everyone. We have managed so far. We can continue.

Yes, well over a year into this; flare-ups and up-tics in the numbers about the middle of the summer.  I'm in Memphis, TN, and that has had its share of shelter in place - lift that - and then back to it.  We're coming out of the upsurge now, so that's good.  Some of the local businesses were not able to survive during the lockdown because they were not able to just do pick up (ordering on line).  I am 87 and have COPD, so the people I live with have made sure that I hunkered down during the worst of the flare-ups.  All last year in isolation - I am thankful that I live within a community (4 generations) so did not feel the isolation as much as some.  Maybe next year.  I often think of the phrase "Next year, Jerusalem" as in a way it applies.  This is the 2nd year and the Spanish Flu lasted longer than that.  Maybe because we have a vaccine and are wearing masks, our pandemic won't last much beyond this year.  Let's pray for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a feeling that this was not going to be over quickly at all.  I also felt that this would be something that will be with us forever although not in the numbers we've seen these last 18 months.  I took it seriously in the beginning and watched the daily press conferences given by state officials. And, being the numbers nerd that I am, I started a spreadsheet of data that I still update daily.  I had no problem doing the social distancing if out, wearing a mask if out and about or even staying at home.  I've even gotten the vaccine and still prefer to stay home. I am an introvert though so that hasn't bothered me.  Unfortunately the area I live in being a small town didn't do any lockdowns, only followed state health orders as to shutdowns and masking.  Many in this area don't think it is a big deal.  And, now my community of 9000 has a high number of cases these last couple weeks with a low vaccine rate (about 15 to 18% below the state average).  That's why I stay home. I'm in the over 65 range and have one of the issues that was thought to be most at risk in the beginning.

Although I will say some good things have come out of it.  Who would have ever thought that I could watch a cousin's son play football online?  His very small, private college streamed their spring games and have continued to stream the games this fall.  An uncle of the player lives in Florida and has been able to watch as well. We've got a group text going on during the games. FUN!  And, we got to celebrate the cousin in Florida's 70th birthday through zoom in February. Last Christmas I got a zoom Christmas chat put together and had several people there that hadn't seen each other in 25 years.  In a way it has brought some members of my extended family closer together.

Rene, I totally agree with you: although a very difficult situation, people have been resourceful and many new technologies have made this easier. Virtual doctor visits are very common now, so you don't have to wait for hours in a waiting room full of sick people when you just need to renew a prescription. Working from home is now more common and widely accepted. It allows people to keep working from home when they might come down with a cold, something that might not prevent them from working, but you would not want in the office. Zoom meetings will save a lot of money to companies who otherwise had to pay for travel and lodging expenses for meetings. And so on.

I am also a bit of a number nerd and also have a spreadsheet, tracking the daily cases in Canada, US, and Italy (thinking that was where there was such an outbreak in the beginning). I also track the variants in Canada. I started that spreadsheet on March 18th, 2020. Never imagine I would still do it 19 months later!

We are affected by Co-vid, like so many others. Not able to see our children and grand-sons is the biggest thing for us.

We are both vaccinated, only go out when we need to. This weekend will be our 50th wedding anniversary, we will be ordering in and enjoying each other's company. My husband is my best friend, my soulmate, he is my all. He has always been here for me. We have had our good and bad times, always covering each other's back.

Helen  congratulations! Next month we are in the same position, but overhere it is possible to go to a restaurant for dinner. We just have to show a QR-code on our mobile phones that indicates we are fully vaccinated, tested or recovered. But it is still better to be very careful, friends got infected! As our daughter, son-in-law and the grands are in the States and we in Europe, no big party, we haven't seen each other for 2 years now!!!  (Of course we use skype and videocalls) It will be just lunch with our son and his partner, but it is better than nothing and we are thankful that it is possible now. At least if everything stays so, the numbers are rising rappidly again. As always everybody stay safe please!

Cassel, I started my spreadsheet on March 9th, the date of the first positive case in Ohio.  One of my more interesting pages in the spreadsheet is what I call "population percent".  After someone on another message board (sad to say from Canada) posted very rudely when the United States took over statistics with the most cases in the world, I made a comment back to her that it totally made sense when you look at the population of USA vs Italy.  So I started a spreadsheet using population numbers for the 50 states, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico and have it calculate the percentage of the population that has had COVID.  At first I updated it daily (using numbers from the John Hopkins website) and it was very interesting seeing where the hot spots in the country were.  Needless to say New York and New Jersey were at the top of the list for quite awhile.  Ohio is the 7th largest state population wise and I was so proud of where we were on that list for a long time. We ranked 30th or lower.  I think the highest I ever saw Ohio was 22nd. I no longer update it daily but try to do it once a month.  Even now with the high number of cases Ohio has had lately, we are still between 35th and 40th (out of 52) on the list and the % is around 13.

I also pulled the population numbers for some other countries and will look at those every couple of months.  The outlier in that data though is China.  Per John Hopkins they claim they only have had  a little over 100,000 cases. I call BS on that.