August 1-2-3 Challenge (2024)

Cassel

This was a challenge with 2 faces for me. The easy part was the streamer which I already had done some time ago and the metallic words for which I used a gold metal that I had in my patterns from other projects. Those .....  knots gave me a lot of trouble!!! The drawing of the path with the pentool went ok now I knew that the tracking had to be much higher! But cutting the path and making the different parts of that path on their own layers didn't went so well. Sometimes I was deleting on the wrong layer and had to do it again. I started 3 times anew and was almost ready to cheat with a rope with knots that I had in my stash! On my photo I used a mask that came from a template by Lady22 and the bouquet from my stash went in between the streamer. I see now that I probably should have attached my rope with a pin or a staple, but for now I assume I glued it on the wooden background!🙃

Carole I have a question on how to shadow that ..... knotted rope and I'll put it in the Q&A for Sunday  if there is time enough that is.

1-2-3-Challenge-aug.2024-600.jpg

• Love 6

53 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

This was a challenge with 2 faces for me. The easy part was the streamer which I already had done some time ago and the metallic words for which I used a gold metal that I had in my patterns from other projects. Those .....  knots gave me a lot of trouble!!! The drawing of the path with the pentool went ok now I knew that the tracking had to be much higher! But cutting the path and making the different parts of that path on their own layers didn't went so well. Sometimes I was deleting on the wrong layer and had to do it again. I started 3 times anew and was almost ready to cheat with a rope with knots that I had in my stash! On my photo I used a mask that came from a template by Lady22 and the bouquet from my stash went in between the streamer. I see now that I probably should have attached my rope with a pin or a staple, but for now I assume I glued it on the wooden background!🙃

Carole I have a question on how to shadow that ..... knotted rope and I'll put it in the Q&A for Sunday  if there is time enough that is.

Glad you forged on Corrie, I think your ropes look great.  and with shadowing they will really pop.  I'm interested to see how that will be done, as there must be a lot of selections (promoted) to deal with shadowing on.  Beautiful flower!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

You certainly did a  superb job on the knotted ropes. I   don't think you followed the tutorial in the masterclass Learn the ropes.  Unless there were other turorials. Beautiful Corrie style layout 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

You certainly did a  superb job on the knotted ropes. I   don't think you followed the tutorial in the masterclass Learn the ropes.  Unless there were other turorials. Beautiful Corrie style layout 

Thank you Sue and there is a tutorial in the recent Lab14-5 that I had on my list of tuts to do. I'm so glad with your praise for that knotted rope but as usual when it gives me trouble to make the next ones will be way easier because I already made all the mistakes 😉

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Glad you forged on Corrie, I think your ropes look great.  and with shadowing they will really pop.  I'm interested to see how that will be done, as there must be a lot of selections (promoted) to deal with shadowing on.  Beautiful flower!

Thanks and I tried to shadow the different parts of the knot but then the shadows went on top of already shadowed parts and it looked a mess!. And as I had already spent 3 evenings on that knot I couldn't see clearly what I should do, so I decided to ask it Carole in the Q&A with the idea that if I had a problem here maybe others would be interested too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thanks and I tried to shadow the different parts of the knot but then the shadows went on top of already shadowed parts and it looked a mess!. And as I had already spent 3 evenings on that knot I couldn't see clearly what I should do, so I decided to ask it Carole in the Q&A with the idea that if I had a problem here maybe others would be interested too.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, try merging the different parts of the knot to one layer. I usually Merge Selected to New Layer then toggle off the visibility of the original layers. Then you can apply the shadow to the merged layer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

In situations like that, if I'm  understanding  you right. I will create shadows on their own  layer. Allowing me to shadow promoted selections independently. Even using different shadow settings. Of course you will then have to use the eraser tool to carefully delete unwanted shadowed areas. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

In situations like that, if I'm  understanding  you right. I will create shadows on their own  layer. Allowing me to shadow promoted selections independently. Even using different shadow settings. Of course you will then have to use the eraser tool to carefully delete unwanted shadowed areas. 

You understood me right but when I tried to shadow the different parts on their own layer and had to erase some of those shadows it still looked not right, hence my question. Maybe if I can see how Carole does this in the Q&A it will make sense to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

You understood me right but when I tried to shadow the different parts on their own layer and had to erase some of those shadows it still looked not right, hence my question. Maybe if I can see how Carole does this in the Q&A it will make sense to me.

I guess it would be similar to shadowing a cluster.

• Like 2

I've been working on this for days and finally decided I was done. One of the themes for my gaming group recently had to do with cowgirls so I "borrowed" part of my co-admin's pic. The knotted rope was certainly a challenge. I watched Cassel's video several times. The entire layout was a challenge. Every time I changed one thing, I went back and changed something else. Maybe the Western theme wasn't for me. lol 

large.1-2-3Challenge24080107600.jpg.b0e9c2428550a89d6a14e51fab0929c1.jpg

• Love 5

5 minutes ago, Michele said:

I've been working on this for days and finally decided I was done. One of the themes for my gaming group recently had to do with cowgirls so I "borrowed" part of my co-admin's pic. The knotted rope was certainly a challenge. I watched Cassel's video several times. The entire layout was a challenge. Every time I changed one thing, I went back and changed something else. Maybe the Western theme wasn't for me. lol 

Your knotted rope turned out fine and like me you found that rope a challenge! After rewatching the Q&A I'll give that knot another try with another picture tube, maybe that will work better. The rope fitted perfect with your Go West.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Funny how western themes have re-emerged into our lives. TV series and movies. My niece likes to think she's some gal in Yellowstone!

You did a great job on the knotted rope!

• Thanks 1

• Cassel pinned this topic