Newsletter chitchat - July 9th, 2024

Cassel

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

Do you have and use a graphic tablet?

Do you consider getting one?

If you have one, what model is it, and what do you use it for?

Let's chat!

I do not have one but it's on the wish list.  I'd like to know to what others are using.  And how do you even use them.  What was the learning curve like, how is it different to using a mouse and is do you use "pressure" in the variance palette when using a tablet or can you leave it at normal?

Edited by Susan Ewart

27 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

And how do you even use them. 

If you read the blog post, I use it for everything. You know how you learned to move your mouse left to right and it moves the cursor left to right on the screen? That is the same thing with a tablet. Moving the pen on the surface will move the cursor on the screen the same way: up, down, left, right, diagonally, straight, and in any shape. 

29 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

What was the learning curve like

I purposefully unplugged my mouse for the first few days, and that was it.

30 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

how is it different to using a mouse

The main difference is that you actually have more control. Try to write your name using a mouse. A table with a pen will feel exactly like a pen on paper: you use your finger for more precise movements.

31 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

and is do you use "pressure" in the variance palette when using a tablet or can you leave it at normal?

I personally don't use the pressure, but by default, it will set the size to *Pressure if you have a tablet. I think it is great for those PAINTING where you like to control how thick or thin a brush stroke is. I don't paint, so I change the setting to Normal for that.

If others are also interested, I can try to set up something to show the Pen/tablet in action for the Q&A. If you want that, add it to the Q&A thread! 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cassel said:

If you read the blog post, I use it for everything. You know how you learned to move your mouse left to right and it moves the cursor left to right on the screen? That is the same thing with a tablet. Moving the pen on the surface will move the cursor on the screen the same way: up, down, left, right, diagonally, straight, and in any shape. 

I purposefully unplugged my mouse for the first few days, and that was it.

The main difference is that you actually have more control. Try to write your name using a mouse. A table with a pen will feel exactly like a pen on paper: you use your finger for more precise movements.

I personally don't use the pressure, but by default, it will set the size to *Pressure if you have a tablet. I think it is great for those PAINTING where you like to control how thick or thin a brush stroke is. I don't paint, so I change the setting to Normal for that.

If others are also interested, I can try to set up something to show the Pen/tablet in action for the Q&A. If you want that, add it to the Q&A thread! 🙂

I saw the post afterwards.  I'd love to see the pen/tablet in action.  When I was reading about the right click/left click I thought I'd never get used to that, from using a mouse for many years.  Was that hard to get used to? 

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Do you have and use a graphic tablet?

Do you consider getting one?

If you have one, what model is it, and what do you use it for?

Let's chat!

So you never use a mouse?  Even when not using PSP?  I depend on right mouse click menus a lot.  How do you bring up a right mouse click?

Edited by Julian Adams
Ooops!
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Julian Adams said:

So you never use a mouse?  Even when not using PSP?  I depend on right mouse click menus a lot.  How do you bring up a right mouse click?

Nope. All the clicks can be done with the pen/tablet. I have a mouse on my laptop (I use the tablet on my desktop), so I can easily switch from one to the other.

33 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I saw the post afterwards.  I'd love to see the pen/tablet in action.  When I was reading about the right click/left click I thought I'd never get used to that, from using a mouse for many years.  Was that hard to get used to? 

Not really. I still used a mouse at work as I never had a tablet there. I also use a mouse on my laptop. I'll try to see what I can set up so you can see both my screen AND tablet at the same time for the Q&A. Not sure how, but I'll try to find something.

• Like 3

I have been using this Wacom tablet since about the late 80's. It still works on my Windows 11 PC.

It has a mouse too which I also used beside the stylus. I found a separate mouse to be handier though.

Have been thinking about buying a newer one for the newer options they have. My son has a recent one which is a lot more to offer for PSP and/or PS. He uses PS, I use PSP Ultimate.

Wacom tablet.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

is the new tablet any different than the old one? Any new features that are interesting?

I didn't need additional features, so I chose a model that was closest to what I had. The new one has Bluetooth, which might be useful in some contexts, but my desktop does not have Bluetooth so it is not something I NEED. It also has more sensitivity for pressure than older models, but again, that is something I don't need because I don't paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1