July Theme Challenge - AQUARIUM

Cassel

Theme-Fruits

The theme for July is AQUARIUM. Do you have some projects related to that theme? Do you have an aquarium at home? Did you visit a large aquarium with the kids? Share your adventures in a scrapbook page.

Let's go!

Post your project in the gallery.

• Cassel pinned this topic

Here's a tropical fish I had in my 5 gallon home aquarium 2 years ago. You can only house one Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta) at a time as they would tear each other apart. In this photo, he was expanding his body and flaring his gills out to meet the threat of my finger. LOL This little guy lost his life by jumping into the filter mechanism. They are very interesting and responsive pets, considering they are fish, and I became quite attached to all of them. RIP Wolfie. 😔

ADVENTURE-RED WOLF BETTA_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Love 8

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's a tropical fish I had in my 5 gallon home aquarium 2 years ago. You can only house one Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta) at a time as they would tear each other apart. In this photo, he was expanding his body and flaring his gills out to meet the threat of my finger. LOL This little guy lost his life by jumping into the filter mechanism. They are very interesting and responsive pets, considering they are fish, but you become quite attached to them. RIP 

ADVENTURE-RED WOLF BETTA_600.jpg

I am not surprised to see your Betta fish.  Do you still have one?  I had one well a few different ones in one of the two gallon tanks.  I did not have a lot of luck with them because I could not find a way to heat the small tank and I keep my house pretty cool in the winter.  I finally gave up on it because I didn't want to kill any more Bettas.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

I am not surprised to see your Betta fish.  Do you still have one?  I had one well a few different ones in one of the two gallon tanks.  I did not have a lot of luck with them because I could not find a way to heat the small tank and I keep my house pretty cool in the winter.  I finally gave up on it because I didn't want to kill any more Bettas.

Anne, I had several over about a 2–3-year span and one way or another, through accident, ignorance or just bad luck, I lost them too soon, also. My granddaughter has had one for going on 5 years now and I don't know how she does it! It may be the genetics of the fish she bought compared to what is offered at my local Petco. 

• Like 2

At first I had no idea what to do for this topic; I have no photos of the aquarium we had many years ago. That was way before the digital camera and iPhone existed; in those days we only took photos from our kids or on holiday. But the gardencenter in our village has a decent aquarium department and although it was almost impossible to get a good shot of the fish tanks or aquariums I managed to get something usable.

For the background I used "By the stream" from Jessica Dunn and blended that with a fishy paper by Marissa Lerin from her Origonian Fisher kit. On my photo I used cass-CurlyLines script to get rid of the parts I didn't want. Two little fishes also from Marissa were recolored and used to make a banner. The rest of the fish I found on Pixabay. In the new lab 14-07 is a tutorial on how to make an enamel element and I used on a clipart plant. Enamel is a very easy technique and I like the result it gives. The title is made up of the letter A from the freebie alpha that comes with this week's blogpost, and the font for the rest is Impact.

Aquarium-600.jpg

• Love 6

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

At first I had no idea what to do for this topic; I have no photos of the aquarium we had many years ago. That was way before the digital camera and iPhone existed; in those days we only took photos from our kids or on holiday. But the gardencenter in our village has a decent aquarium department and although it was almost impossible to get a good shot of the fish tanks or aquariums I managed to get something usable.

For the background I used "By the stream" from Jessica Dunn and blended that with a fishy paper by Marissa Lerin from her Origonian Fisher kit. On my photo I used cass-CurlyLines script to get rid of the parts I didn't want. Two little fishes also from Marissa were recolored and used to make a banner. The rest of the fish I found on Pixabay. In the new lab 14-07 is a tutorial on how to make an enamel element and I used on a clipart plant. Enamel is a very easy technique and I like the result it gives. The title is made up of the letter A from the freebie alpha that comes with this week's blogpost, and the font for the rest is Impact.

Aquarium-600.jpg

You did something great with this. I would never have thought of a garden centre with fish to get something! Clever you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

You did something great with this. I would never have thought of a garden centre with fish to get something! Clever you!

Julie not so clever as you assume because many of the gardencenters over here have an animal department with toys for a cat or dog, animal food, in fact everything you may need for your pet. The one thing that they don't sell are the animals itself with the exemption of fish, at least until now. We go frequently to the gardencenter in our village for a cup of coffee and cake because there is a nice cafeteria as well and I admit most of the time I come home with a new houseplant, a bunch of flowers or something we need for our patio. Just today we went there and I had to ride home with a somewhat larger plant in my bicycle bag. I rode rather slowly because I was afraid the plant would fall out of the bag on places where the road was bumpy, but I and the plant came home in one piece!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Julie not so clever as you assume because many of the gardencenters over here have an animal department with toys for a cat or dog, animal food, in fact everything you may need for your pet. The one thing that they don't sell are the animals itself with the exemption of fish, at least until now. We go frequently to the gardencenter in our village for a cup of coffee and cake because there is a nice cafeteria as well and I admit most of the time I come home with a new houseplant, a bunch of flowers or something we need for our patio. Just today we went there and I had to ride home with a somewhat larger plant in my bicycle bag. I rode rather slowly because I was afraid the plant would fall out of the bag on places where the road was bumpy, but I and the plant came home in one piece!

Sounds as if your garden centres are more general purpose than the ones we have. I love to visit them in the winter for something warm to do, but most don't offer much more than plants and garden supplies. It would be great to have a cafe in them! I also usually come home with a new plant! Glad you made it home safely with the larger plant.

Here, fish and accessories are available at separate pet supply stores.

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 1

I've only ever had goldfish in my life, and those when I was a kid. It broke my heart then to flush them away when they were found floating on the top. I preferred cats; they seemed to last longer.

Seahorses, now, are absolutely fascinating to me. Sometimes I forget they're real and think of them like I do unicorns. Sadly, they are also endangered. (What isn't anymore?)

Just a simple layout to showcase a photo (Daniel Clode) from Unsplash. Most elements from Katie Pertiet Designs.

2024 Jul aquarium theme layout-600.jpg

• Love 4

Julie, your seahorses are surely almost mythical and this beast is also, though more on the horror side, than sweet fantasy. GAIASIA was a giant, predatory salamander from the time before the dinosaurs roamed and the earth was one big soup with one continent. Hoping the text is readable in reduced form, I took a Quick Page and turned it into a layered layout using promoted selections. I had a blank brad template and added the dragonfly art to replace a ship under sail which would indicate human habitation. Information from Wikipedia.

GAIASIA_600.jpg

• WOW 4

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Julie, your seahorses are surely almost mythical and this beast is also, though more on the horror side, than sweet fantasy. GAIASIA was a giant, predatory salamander from the time before the dinosaurs roamed and the earth was one big soup with one continent. Hoping the text is readable in reduced form, I took a Quick Page and turned it into a layered layout using promoted selections. I had a blank brad template and added the dragonfly art to replace a ship under sail which would indicate human habitation. Information from Wikipedia.

GAIASIA_600.jpg

I heard something on the radio about giant creatures like this that roamed (or swam) long before dinosaurs. Wouldn't want to meet this one or any of those others!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I've only ever had goldfish in my life, and those when I was a kid. It broke my heart then to flush them away when they were found floating on the top. I preferred cats; they seemed to last longer.

Seahorses, now, are absolutely fascinating to me. Sometimes I forget they're real and think of them like I do unicorns. Sadly, they are also endangered. (What isn't anymore?)

Just a simple layout to showcase a photo (Daniel Clode) from Unsplash. Most elements from Katie Pertiet Designs.

Seahorse reproduction fascinates me. The females deposit their eggs into a pouch on the males' stomachs. The eggs are then fertilized in the pouch. A few weeks later the males give birth. 

• WOW 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Seahorse reproduction fascinates me. The females deposit their eggs into a pouch on the males' stomachs. The eggs are then fertilized in the pouch. A few weeks later the males give birth. 

Fascinating! Somehow, it makes me think of Debbie's first baby, Magic, who was born underwater in a hot tub! 😁 Northern California mothers were into weird techniques. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Julie this are gorgeous creatures with their colors, most of the time when you see them in an aquarium they are greyish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Fascinating and something I vaguely remember to have read somewhere, but this video makes it real and I won't forget it for sure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Fascinating! Somehow, it makes me think of Debbie's first baby, Magic, who was born underwater in a hot tub! 😁 Northern California mothers were into weird techniques. 😉

Ann giving birth in a warm bath has been a practice over here too. Nowadays it isn't as populair as it once was, but it is still done! 

• Like 2

I found another layout I did for one of my newer Bettas. This is Comanche War Bonnet. I think this was the New Kid on the Block assigment from Boot Camp Day 2. I always had good results from this design. The background is a photo of my aquarium.

comanche war bonnet_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2
  • Love 1