Vector Workshop 2024

Cassel

@Cassel I guess I just assumed that the text always appeared in the layer below - but I checked several of my pspimage layouts and it doesn't. So either I use the pen tool or click on Properties>convert text to curves in order to get a path to use with the Vector tube script.

This is the one I made using the Properties>convert text to curves

Converted text to Curves as character shapes.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

Dear Teacher,

I signed up for scrapbook class,   I couldn't do this but still trying.     Please how long will this Lessons be up  to watch it...   really trying but need way more time then my classmates they are good and FAST.  ty    

• Like 1

Lesson 5. I can't believe the trouble I've been having with the text tool and the path.  Anyway, I managed to get the text to go along the path on the mountain and the circles paths for the cup of coffee and piece of pie.  I know - the piece of pie doesn't look like much, but that's all I've got this afternoon for it.  It is what it is!!!!!

_The mountains are calling.jpg

_Lesson 5b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

21 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 7.

One of the challenges with this one was grabbing hold of the correct node to move after cutting. I learned not to move the node too far before you determine it's the correct one. I had to start over a couple of times because I couldn't get it back in place to line up with the full shape.

Carole - Thank you for the reminder about Vectors in Action. I recall that all of the Vector masterclasses were great. I'll definitely go back to watch them again.

After every workshop I think about the Mickey Mouse song: Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company. See you real soon!

GNL-Day7-Ellipse-600.jpg

GNL-Day7-Initial-600.jpg

Gerry, that flowertube looks great on your G! I have that one too and it is so versatile!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 7

Went pretty good, especially when I think it's a hard lesson, it turned out to be straight forward.  The tricky part is grabbing the right node after the cut.  Like Gerry said, it's hard to reposition the node you didnt want to be moving.  I ended up pushing it back (if I picked the wrong one) very slightly then I could see the other node I really wanted to be grabbing.  when I say see, I mean I had it zoomed in very close and when you move one node underneath it, the other node shows up.  Only 4 cuts of all the cuts I made was the correct node I wanted to grab to move away and delete.  I used undo a lot and learned to nudge the node into itself and not to the side as it would get too distorted.  I really love this technique.  On the Q I wanted to see if the lower cross bar was possible to isolate and it was.  It's really interesting to see fonts with nodes, I forget about that, I could also be manipulating those fonts too...didnt we learn that in a master class or the Text Workshop?

Thank you Carole.  Even with some stumbling blocks, I felt way better going through this workshop for the second time.  I'll get my question together (about the rocket) this week.  Thanks again for a great workshop.  

Vector WS Lesson 7 - 1-600.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 7-2.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 7-3-600.jpg

Susan so nice to see you got the hang of it! Once you know how to do such things it becomes easier each time you use it. So don't loose it, use it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Lesson 6. I'm going to have to work hard on this path business.  It seems that I've forgotten a lot! With the Globe of the earth, I had to put another circle around the outside of the globe as the maps of north and south america are also open and thus a path. The leaf was interesting - made the leaf last year in the vector workshop and using it as a path this year, I fooled around with different picture tubes and finally settled on the stars. The letter - I had already worked with it several days converting text to a path and this time no problem. I used a string created earlier.

_Lesson 6a-1.jpg

Lesson 6a-2.jpg

_Lesson 6b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 7

Went pretty good, especially when I think it's a hard lesson, it turned out to be straight forward.  The tricky part is grabbing the right node after the cut.  Like Gerry said, it's hard to reposition the node you didnt want to be moving.  I ended up pushing it back (if I picked the wrong one) very slightly then I could see the other node I really wanted to be grabbing.  when I say see, I mean I had it zoomed in very close and when you move one node underneath it, the other node shows up.  Only 4 cuts of all the cuts I made was the correct node I wanted to grab to move away and delete.  I used undo a lot and learned to nudge the node into itself and not to the side as it would get too distorted.  I really love this technique.  On the Q I wanted to see if the lower cross bar was possible to isolate and it was.  It's really interesting to see fonts with nodes, I forget about that, I could also be manipulating those fonts too...didnt we learn that in a master class or the Text Workshop?

Thank you Carole.  Even with some stumbling blocks, I felt way better going through this workshop for the second time.  I'll get my question together (about the rocket) this week.  Thanks again for a great workshop.  

Wow, so daring. I think these are brilliant! I kept mine all simple, maybe next year, after some practice, I might be able to be more adventurous.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Wow, so daring. I think these are brilliant! I kept mine all simple, maybe next year, after some practice, I might be able to be more adventurous.

Jeni, I was not adventurous last year and even this year I started out just re-learning the lessons and had fun when I got further along.  I'm surprised it makes such a difference.  As a Diamond member we can have access all the time.  I think I should go back to the lessons every 3-4 months.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Lesson 6. I'm going to have to work hard on this path business.  It seems that I've forgotten a lot! With the Globe of the earth, I had to put another circle around the outside of the globe as the maps of north and south america are also open and thus a path. The leaf was interesting - made the leaf last year in the vector workshop and using it as a path this year, I fooled around with different picture tubes and finally settled on the stars. The letter - I had already worked with it several days converting text to a path and this time no problem. I used a string created earlier.

_Lesson 6a-1.jpg

Lesson 6a-2.jpg

_Lesson 6b.jpg

Mary, the planes around the world look so cool.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan so nice to see you got the hang of it! Once you know how to do such things it becomes easier each time you use it. So don't loose it, use it!

I think I will redo the lessons in a month or so.  If I dont I will surely lose it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Lesson 5. I can't believe the trouble I've been having with the text tool and the path.  Anyway, I managed to get the text to go along the path on the mountain and the circles paths for the cup of coffee and piece of pie.  I know - the piece of pie doesn't look like much, but that's all I've got this afternoon for it.  It is what it is!!!!!

_The mountains are calling.jpg

_Lesson 5b.jpg

I agree, one piece of pie is never enough!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Jeni, I was not adventurous last year and even this year I started out just re-learning the lessons and had fun when I got further along.  I'm surprised it makes such a difference.  As a Diamond member we can have access all the time.  I think I should go back to the lessons every 3-4 months.  

Susan, I think it is a matter of doing the tutorials regularly to pick up these tools. Vectors have scared me, they appear so difficult, yet I am sure, going over what we have learned would help. I hope to remember the tutorials as best I can and try to redo them soon, while they are still in my mind. A few gems have come from members all throughout, and they helped me.

• Like 3

Hello,

unfortunately, I can't make it to the workshop. I'm not feeling so well at the moment, and I have more challenges in my private life. And concentrating so hard on translating the video quickly tires me out. I'll continue doing it privately when I'm feeling better, without any time pressure. Because I'm very interested in these vectors handling. I hope these workshop threads won't be closed?

• Sad 3

On 6/22/2024 at 10:27 AM, Mary Solaas said:

@Randy Inner and Outer Glow are available if you use Layer STyles on your layer. With this vector I used both inner and outer glow. There are other effects available with them 

Inner and outer glow.jpg

LayerStylesDisplay.jpg

Thank you. This sounds promising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doska St. said:

Hello,

unfortunately, I can't make it to the workshop. I'm not feeling so well at the moment, and I have more challenges in my private life. And concentrating so hard on translating the video quickly tires me out. I'll continue doing it privately when I'm feeling better, without any time pressure. Because I'm very interested in these vectors handling. I hope these workshop threads won't be closed?

Doska, I hope you are feeling better soon.  We will all be here when you feeling up to returning.  Take care of yourself first.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Carole, 

Thank you so much for your lessons on Vector.

I like what I have learned so far and expect to review to get a better handle on what I have not "mastered" yet.

Everyone else,

Thank you for sharing your work.

Thank you for helpful input.

Thank you for encouragement by showing what can be done, and encouraging words to push ahead.

This is great!

And having something that I have learned that I can use in the future is really the best part.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Totally enjoyed this workshop.  Gonna do a diamond membership for a few months and try to pick up some of the classes and information available for PSP.  My next project already started is to do a preset shape of a USA map.  I guess to do state borders internal to the closed vector path, you just select the lines (vs edit) with pen tool and put them in seperate.  I'll find out if that is just a folly in my mind LOL.  

Image13.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Possibly VECTOR related question.

I downloaded an EPS file from Creative Fabrica.

It says 100% EDITABLE | VECTOR EPS FILE.  WORDS AND FONT CAN BE CHANGED.

I was able to open in PaintShop Pro but it just appears as a single image .. cannot see how to edit text.

Is there some way that I need to open an EPS file in PSP that allows me to apply the effect to the text?

EPS EXAMPLE.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Randy said:

Is there some way that I need to open an EPS file in PSP that allows me to apply the effect to the text?

There was a blog article about using EPS files HERE. It is not a direct way to open the files in PSP but it works. However, it will NOT allow text to stay in text format, so it won't be editable like text, just editable as a path/shape.