Newsletter chitchat - April 9, 2024

Cassel

So, for North America, it was the day of the total eclipse yesterday.

Did you witness it?

Did you ever witness a total eclipse?

Do you have photos? Scrapbook pages? Stories about it?

Let's chat about it.

No scrapbook pages yet but I did get some photos. My cousin is going to get some more to me that she took with her phone.

We had an awesome time, just sitting in my driveway. It started cooling down 5 to 10 minutes before totality then warmed back up after it was over. I saw today that we dropped 8 degrees Fahrenheit during it. We had almost 4 minutes of totality. My solar lights in my flower beds came on but luckily I had remembered to turn the motion light above my garage off but the video still recorded! So I have video of us watching and our comments during the totality! Many of my neighbors had lights come on during the darkness. The weather was just gorgeous with very few clouds in the sky. Temps were in the low 70's which is unusual for this early in April.

I live about 1.5 miles north of the county fairgrounds. They were open for camping all weekend and had entertainment, food stands and vendors all weekend. Then viewing of the eclipse on Monday. We could hear the crowd screaming, yelling and clapping during totality. We also saw a couple fireworks off to the southwest during totality, not sure who did those though.

This is the one and only eclipse I will probably see. The next one in Ohio is in 2099... I would be well over a hundred years old so doubt I'll be around for it! Not even sure I would be around for the big one that will cross the USA in 2045 and if I would be, I don't think I'll be traveling to see it. I am so glad that I got to see it and very thankful that we had perfect weather since Ohio weather in April can be hit or miss. We had clouds on Saturday/Sunday and today has been cloudy with thunderstorms tonight. Monday was perfect!

• Like 5

We had cloudy weather but it actually worked to our advantage. It was possible to see the eclipse without constant use of the special glasses. I even took a few pictures with my unprotected cell phone. And it got so dark that solar powered night lights switched on. And as an added bonus, it got dark enough that a star was visible in the sky. That is it on the lower right. I looked it up. It turns out the star is Sirius (AKA The Dog Star, an Easter egg for you Harry Potter fans out there.)

IMG_5854.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I just cobbled together this layout using my template from the webinar's grid format.

Photos by (daughter) Laurey Keller of 2024 Total Eclipse, Matamoras, PA
SI-Star Gazer kit / Elements = Light (overlay 50% opacity) + Nebula-1 (Does anyone know who "SI" is?)
Font=Distant Galaxy Outline (which was an offering by Star Wars creator Lucasfilm) / White Sand gradient

ECLIPSE 04-08-2024_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

I just cobbled together this layout using my template from the webinar's grid format.

Photos by (daughter) Laurey Keller of 2024 Total Eclipse, Matamoras, PA
SI-Star Gazer kit / Elements = Light (overlay 50% opacity) + Nebula-1 (Does anyone know who "SI" is?)
Font=Distant Galaxy Outline (which was an offering by Star Wars creator Lucasfilm) / White Sand gradient

ECLIPSE 04-08-2024_600.jpg

I googled it, is it a designer called Synergy Ink?  I found the kit at https://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/digital-art/kits/star-gazer-page-kit/  And there was a second kit called Nebula transfers. I saw some really nice kits on that site.  

29 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I googled it, is it a designer called Synergy Ink?  I found the kit at https://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio.com/digital-art/kits/star-gazer-page-kit/  And there was a second kit called Nebula transfers. I saw some really nice kits on that site.  

Thanks, Susan! I've had this kit for a long time but never used it. I also have the transfers; I think they came with the original kit. I was also pleased to use my Star Wars font 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thanks, Susan! I've had this kit for a long time but never used it. I also have the transfers; I think they came with the original kit. I was also pleased to use my Star Wars font 😉

I'm glad you mentioned the kit.  I would have never seen that site.  The font it nice isn't it.  I just went and found it.  I have a family member who loves Star Wars.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 2

We went to the Indiana Motor Speedway to view the eclipse. I just used a point-and-shoot Canon camera, but it has a 40x zoom. I got this during totality. (It's not as good of quality as the original, so I could post it here.)

Eclipse.JPG

• WOW 1
  • Love 5