March ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - Toys

Cassel

AAM-Challenge.jpg

Let's continue this new challenge. We might often be the ones taking pictures but we are not the feature of our layouts, so let's change that since we ARE important and we have lots to say.

Every month or so, the layout will be about YOU, and a prompt will be given. If you have taken the Story Week Challenge, you will find some similarities but it won't be the same.

For the March layout, tell us something about a favorite toy. Do you still have some toys from your childhood? If not, you can surely find a photo online to illustrate it. It might be something new to us but it could also be something we also played with.

And remember that if you want to create pages for previous prompts, those threads are staying open for you. There is no right or wrong order to share about you.

Although I have played with many toys like dolls, (a dolls house that my dad build for me) there is one all time favorite: LEGO! When I was a child Lego was a new brand with those colored plastic blocks and it was considered a toy for boys, but luckily my parents were tolerant and I got it too. At that time it was just the blocks and bottom plates. There were bigger boxes with different colors and dimensions of the blocks, but also small boxes. Those small boxes were affordable for children to buy with their pocket money and I did bought one whenever I had enough money! On all my wish lists for birthdays and Sinterklaas I had Lego on top and in the end I had a huge collection. When I had little kids, they started with the Duplo blocks and later with my old collection and like me loved to play with Lego. Of course there were many new additions like the figures, themed boxes and technics. My son has played with the technical stuff for years and after my husband and I moved to a smaller house has adopted the collection. The big Duplo blocks went to the grandchildren when they were little and I my daughter brought those with here when they moved to the States and the grands have got their own Lego; there are so many themed sets on the market now. But I love the simple blocks were you have to use your imagination to build a world of your own!

I have no photos to show, but found something on the net. For the layout I used a quickpage from Marissa Lerin and adapted it a bit because I have nothing in my stash that I could use. The font is Hobo, also a favorite of mine.

AAM-Favorite toy-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I read Corrie's story (and enjoyed it). It reminded me of my own very young childhood. I wasn't a dolly girl (much to my mother's chagrin b/c she loved making outfits for the dolls she bought me). I played with dolls (and later Barbie), but my favourite activity was playing in the open fields in our small village with lots of other kiddies, especially cowboys and Indians (which is not very politically correct anymore.) We all had holsters and fake six-guns and pretended to ride on stalliions and shoot each other! (We all survived and none of us has ever used a gun since.)

Back in the 1950s, early 1960s, TV westerns were very popular on TV. I would watch them with my dad, night after night, when we weren't watching hockey or boxing or Ed Sullivan. (I was a tomboy, can you tell?) According to a bit of research, TV westerns on the three major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) numbered over a 100 for a period of eleven or twelve years. Because most of our TV channels came from the US, we were a captive audience.

This layout is my attempt to capture those days of B&W TV when I was a cowgirl, with some of the favourites everyone was watching.

SBC March layout 2024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

32 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I read Corrie's story (and enjoyed it). It reminded me of my own very young childhood. I wasn't a dolly girl (much to my mother's chagrin b/c she loved making outfits for the dolls she bought me). I played with dolls (and later Barbie), but my favourite activity was playing in the open fields in our small village with lots of other kiddies, especially cowboys and Indians (which is not very politically correct anymore.) We all had holsters and fake six-guns and pretended to ride on stalliions and shoot each other! (We all survived and none of us has ever used a gun since.)

Back in the 1950s, early 1960s, TV westerns were very popular on TV. I would watch them with my dad, night after night, when we weren't watching hockey or boxing or Ed Sullivan. (I was a tomboy, can you tell?) According to a bit of research, TV westerns on the three major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) numbered over a 100 for a period of eleven or twelve years. Because most of our TV channels came from the US, we were a captive audience.

This layout is my attempt to capture those days of B&W TV when I was a cowgirl, with some of the favourites everyone was watching.

Well Julie, I grew up in the same period as you and we just got the first tv's and only one channel but we got some of the westerns as well and I watched them with my dad too.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Golly, Julie, you beat me to it! My childhood seems to be identical to yours, even in the same era. Fun story, my mom also dearly wanted me to play with dolls while I was outside swinging lassos. She was deeply disturbed when she found my only doll strung up on my bedroom doorknob with its neck in a hangman's noose! In later years when I was less horse crazy, I found the American Girl doll in a store, but she refused to get it for me, afraid I'd repeat my action from years earlier, I guess. 🤠🐎

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Well Julie, I grew up in the same period as you and we just got the first tv's and only one channel but we got some of the westerns as well and I watched them with my dad too.

As I read what you ladies have written I thought, "I could have written that!" Cowboys and Indians...yes! I also played with marbles and yo-yos.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Golly, Julie, you beat me to it! My childhood seems to be identical to yours, even in the same era. Fun story, my mom also dearly wanted me to play with dolls while I was outside swinging lassos. She was deeply disturbed when she found my only doll strung up on my bedroom doorknob with its neck in a hangman's noose! In later years when I was less horse crazy, I found the American Girl doll in a store, but she refused to get it for me, afraid I'd repeat my action from years earlier, I guess. 🤠🐎

OMG Ann! That made me laugh loudly!

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

As I read what you ladies have written I thought, "I could have written that!" Cowboys and Indians...yes! I also played with marbles and yo-yos.

Yes, marbles and yo-yos!

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Love 2

Hi all,

I can't remember my toys before I was 6, but after that - it was post-war - we children mostly played outdoors or with household objects. There was no money in our large family for toys and children's books. The grandparents usually only gave us useful things, like clothes. We played almost exclusively with small toys, marbles, cards and balls, which we bought at fairs for little money. I then did a lot of drawing with my school supplies (my dream career at the time was "fashion illustrator"😁) or cutting out jewelry from catalogs. I loved reading and always devoured my new school books at the beginning of a new school year. It was only in a children's treatment that I learned beautiful fairy tale books I know, see Scrap. Things were getting better for us in the mid-1960s, then Legos, a melodica and knitting toys and the TV came along. I never had dolls, more like living "baby dolls". From the age of 6 I had to work as a co-teacher act...

Today my husband and I fondly remember our childhood toys and adventures in nature. I think by playing in nature we have trained our imagination much more and been able to live out our urge to move.
large.DS-Kinderspiele.jpg.d8cc8b22a0992f0185459a215921fb76.jpg

• Love 7

• Cassel changed the title to March ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - Toys
  • Cassel unpinned this topic