February 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

30 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Week nine, chasing yesterday, in a mamnner of speaking.   I was out shooting photos of  what was left of the Autumnal leaves.  This  leaf caught my eye, as it had  finally descended, landing onto a blanket of fresh snow.

Week nine.jpg

Wow, that is a beautiful photo, Sue. That snow is so clear I can feel the cold from it! 😉 Funny, I'm preparing my own Week Nine and it also features fallen leaves but with a little taste of Spring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Wow, that is a beautiful photo, Sue. That snow is so clear I can feel the cold from it! 😉 Funny, I'm preparing my own Week Nine and it also features fallen leaves but with a little taste of Spring. 

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

Spring is a long, long way off here. I'm pleased that the cold resonated through the photo, as it was  bitterly cold, -29c, calm, with a clear blue sky.  I can only expose fingers for a vey short time,  batteries drain quickly.   It's great taking photos at ground level, during the winter months, as the snow moulds to my shape, making being sprawled on the ground comfortable.  The snow is  ever so dry, that I don't get wet, I brush it off like you would icing sugar.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Spring is a long, long way off here. I'm pleased that the cold resonated through the photo, as it was  bitterly cold, -29c, calm, with a clear blue sky.  I can only expose fingers for a vey short time,  batteries drain quickly.   It's great taking photos at ground level, during the winter months, as the snow moulds to my shape, making being sprawled on the ground comfortable.  The snow is  ever so dry, that I don't get wet, I brush it off like you would icing sugar.  

I guess the prevailing sport would be ice sculptures rather than snowmen. That kind of snow doesn't pack satisfactorily for snowballs, either! 😉

• Haha 1

Hurrah, this week on Tuesday we had sunshine! On Tuesdays I go for a walk with a friend and we do so for at least 20 years now. In those days we had a group of about 8 to 10 and over the years the others quitted one by one. The corona years did the rest and now we are just the 2 of us. This week we were on a path we often use and a blue heron decided to land on some grassland next to us. He/she was turned away from us and there was a ditch full of water between the grass and our path, so I couldn't go nearer. Slowly I reached for my phone and was able to take a couple of shots before the heron walked away.

WEEK-9-600.jpg

• WOW 3
  • Love 5

16 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Hurrah, this week on Tuesday we had sunshine! On Tuesdays I go for a walk with a friend and we do so for at least 20 years now. In those days we had a group of about 8 to 10 and over the years the others quitted one by one. The corona years did the rest and now we are just the 2 of us. This week we were on a path we often use and a blue heron decided to land on some grassland next to us. He/she was turned away from us and there was a ditch full of water between the grass and our path, so I couldn't go nearer. Slowly I reached for my phone and was able to take a couple of shots before the heron walked away.

WEEK-9-600.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!  what a great shot Corrie! 

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

BEAUTIFUL!  what a great shot Corrie! 

It was just a matter of right spot and right time and steady hands because I had to zoom in. Luckily my phone has optical zoom and if needed I'll adjust on the pc.

• Like 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic

Sharla, what a pretty bird.  And wow, you have cherry blossoms, how lucky.  We are still under a foot of snow and currently snowing -20 (celcius).  We had been lulled into a false spring with weeks of warm +10 days with no snow on the ground.  I get fooled every year thinking spring is finally here and wham! A snow storm.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

-20 (celcius)

Shiver, I can't even imagine what that feels like.  In England, even up here in the north, it rarely gets below -5 and that's a rare event. Spring is definitely beginning here, I have started seeds in my little greenhouse and am keeping my fingers crossed we don't have a sudden cold spell. A couple of years ago all the blossom trees were damaged by a late frost (one of the very cold ones) and some have still not recovered. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

Shiver, I can't even imagine what that feels like.  In England, even up here in the north, it rarely gets below -5 and that's a rare event. Spring is definitely beginning here, I have started seeds in my little greenhouse and am keeping my fingers crossed we don't have a sudden cold spell. A couple of years ago all the blossom trees were damaged by a late frost (one of the very cold ones) and some have still not recovered. 

It's hard to know when to start seeds here.  I am new to plants and starting seeds. I'm told not to plant anything until after the 3rd week of May!  Last year I planted some flower seeds straight into pots and into the garden area (which was very small, this year it's twice the size).  I don't know what I'm doing so i was delighted when plants actually grew and I had some flowers to photograph.  This year I might get brave and try food type plants too.  I do grow herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley) in pots that I overwinter in the garage under lights and have done that for years, but flowers were a first for me.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

Unfortunately there is not much to photograph, at least not outside because, just like Corrie in the Netherlands, we still have gray and rainy weather in Belgium.
Not nice to go outside at all.

mclp_chall_P52_week8_.jpg

mclp_chall_P52_week9_.jpg

Marie-Claire, we do have miserable weather, but at least we got 1 day of sunshine last week although in the evening it started to rain again. I'm fairly close to the Belgium border and we often get the same weather as you are. The Belgium forecast is more accurate then the Dutch one for where we live.

On 3/2/2024 at 6:43 PM, Sharla said:

Week 9 A Siskin finch, on route to our bird feeders, kindly posed alongside some early cherry blossom.  

week 9 600.jpg

Sharla what a great shot and so colorful with those little cherry blossoms to set of the color of that finch. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...