February 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

20 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

This week my Amaryllis opent its flowers and it looks gorgeous. The big bulb has 2 stalks with thick fat buds and one of them has its 5 flowers open now. The other stalk is shorter and the bud is still closed, but it is seldom that both stalks are in flower at the same time which make the period with flowers much longer. With all the miserable weather outside it is nice to have some color inside the house.

WEEK-6-600.jpg

Just before I left, the Hyacinths I bought for my  daughter and daughter-in-law were almost in full bloom.   What a  gorgeous colour your flower is.  Makes up for the dismal weather outside.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Just before I left, the Hyacinths I bought for my  daughter and daughter-in-law were almost in full bloom.   What a  gorgeous colour your flower is.  Makes up for the dismal weather outside.

Yes it does brighten the room and my spirits! This weather what we have at the last weeks or even months is a real pity because outside the crocuses and daffodils planted alongside some streets and pavements are almost drowning and they still are starting to flower but look droopy!

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yes it does brighten the room and my spirits! This weather what we have at the last weeks or even months is a real pity because outside the crocuses and daffodils planted alongside some streets and pavements are almost drowning and they still are starting to flower but look droopy!

Corrie: I was inspired by your flower photo, so I did another one of my moth orchid, but as a closeup this time. Then, being on a roll with my iPhone in portrait mode, I also shot my succulent. (I will have to find out the variety before I use it in this challenge.) That is the extent of my house plants; I do not have the greenest of thumbs. 😉

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 3

Week 6 A quiet week. The photo is of four things I need when out walking – my gloves, my baseball cap (great for the sun and the rain), my walking pole and a bench. I know where all the benches are on my local walks!

week 6 600.jpg

• Love 8

This past week we have had snow, and blowing snow.  Once again the landscape is  blanketed in the white stuff.  A delightful White-breasted Nuthatch.  Nuthatches are short tailed birds which  walk up and down and a round tree trunks and limbs.   The ones I have here, and enjoying the suet, sunflower seeds, and  peanuts. 

Week seven.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

This past week we have had snow, and blowing snow.  Once again the landscape is  blanketed in the white stuff.  A delightful White-throated Nuthatch.  Nuthatches are short tailed birds which  walk up and down and a round tree trunks and limbs.   The ones I have here, and enjoying the suet, sunflower seeds, and  peanuts. 

Week seven.jpg

I love these little guys.  They are tenacious and make a cute little sound.  the ones I see have brown/rust(?) color on them.  This one is so pretty in a blue tone. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love these little guys.  They are tenacious and make a cute little sound.  the ones I see have brown/rust(?) color on them.  This one is so pretty in a blue tone. 

They are  ever so sweet, but  difficult to shoot, as they  are constantly on the move.  I suspect the ones you have are the  Red-breasted Nuthatch.  As they have a black eye stripe and are a buff orange below. (breast and belly).  Their blue grey  colour on thei upper back and folded wings are very striking, even on a cloudy day.

Edited by Sue Thomas

They are  ever so sweet, but  difficult to shoot, as they  are constantly on the move.  I suspect the ones you have are the  Red-breasted Nuthatch.  As they have a black eye stripe and are a buff orange below. (breast and belly).  Their blue grey  colour on thei upper back and folded wings are very striking, even on a cloudy day.

Yes, that's the ones we have around my house.  They are zippy little birds for sure.  The cats (and us humans in the house) love to watch them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

This past week we have had snow, and blowing snow.  Once again the landscape is  blanketed in the white stuff.  A delightful White-breasted Nuthatch.  Nuthatches are short tailed birds which  walk up and down and a round tree trunks and limbs.   The ones I have here, and enjoying the suet, sunflower seeds, and  peanuts. 

Week seven.jpg

What a beautiful photo of this cute little bird. I love the American/Canadian nature and wildlife, it is so versatile and different from the European, which in its turn can be enchanting to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Week 7 Milder weather and a lot less wind so the crocuses have begun to appear. It’s great to see some colour again.

week 7 600.jpg

Sharla it is that I have another subject for this week otherwise I would have done almost the same. Over here the crocuses are flowering too, bright yellow and lilac the purple has yet to come, they are always a bit later.

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

We had the 4 days of carnival this week and I went to watch the parade. Unfortunately the weather was not great on that day, with a bit of sunshine it would have looked so much better. Carnival is always a colorful spectacle so I used more colors to enhance my layout and I filled the week seven with a color otherwise it wasn't readable. If and when I have some free time I'll remove the streetlight on the left.

WEEK-7-600.jpg

• Love 6

10 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ann happy birthday from me too and as it is on a Sunday maybe some visitors?

Thank you, Corrie! My granddaughter, Jackie, took me out to dinner on Friday evening and daughter, Laurey, took me out for dinner again on Saturday. I'm over-dinner-ed! 😊

• Haha 3

I know I'm a litte early, as it's anyones guess what I will find to photograph in the next few days.   There isn't any doubt in my mind that this photo is going to be weeks 8. 

White-tailed Hare. North Americans call hares Jackrabbits. They are not rabbits.  They belong to the same family, different species.   They are are extrememy difficult to find, as they blend in well with their habbitat. From dawn til dusk they sit motionless, regardless of what mother nature throws at them. (-24c this morning) Like many animals they are capable of sleeping with their eyes open.   Of course they are nocturnal.  I will be able to observe this one from the kitchen window, using bincoulars, as it is cwtch down,  out  in the stubble, where  we have moved snow from the yard.  I stumbled across it whilst out tracking their movements last night in the snow.

Week eight.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 7

23 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I know I'm a litte early, as it's anyones guess what I will find to photograph in the next few days.   There isn't any doubt in my mind that this photo is going to be weeks 8. 

White-tailed Hare. North Americans call hares Jackrabbits. They are not rabbits.  They belong to the same family, different species.   They are are extrememy difficult to find, as they blend in well with their habbitat. From dawn til dusk they sit motionless, regardless of what mother nature throws at them. (-24c this morning) Like many animals they are capable of sleeping with their eyes open.   Of course they are nocturnal.  I will be able to observe this one from the kitchen window, using bincoulars, as it is cwtch down,  out  in the stubble, where  we have moved snow from the yard.  I stumbled across it whilst out tracking their movements last night in the snow.

Week eight.jpg

I can see why you stumbled across it! It is so well hidden in the surrounding snow heap with some traces of darker straw/old grass that have the same color of it ears and nose.

• Like 3

Week eight.jpg

Beautiful shot.  Me and my co-worker get so excited to see them at work, in the bush right outside the door we go in.  my co-worker is the expert spotter. otherwise I'd walk right by even though I am looking for them.  the very small empty lot across the street from work in the spring/summer has 7-8 that I can actually see (probably more hiding).  I wish they wouldn't cut the wild grasses/weeds, so they could hide better from the coyotes.  I still cant help wanting to smoosh my face right up in it's fur.  (side note: I don't, and when we spot one we are quiet and do not disturb them, poor things have a hard enough life being at the bottom of the food chain).  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I can see why you stumbled across it! It is so well hidden in the surrounding snow heap with some traces of darker straw/old grass that have the same color of it ears and nose.

They are well adapted to their environment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Beautiful shot.  Me and my co-worker get so excited to see them at work, in the bush right outside the door we go in.  my co-worker is the expert spotter. otherwise I'd walk right by even though I am looking for them.  the very small empty lot across the street from work in the spring/summer has 7-8 that I can actually see (probably more hiding).  I wish they wouldn't cut the wild grasses/weeds, so they could hide better from the coyotes.  I still cant help wanting to smoosh my face right up in it's fur.  (side note: I don't, and when we spot one we are quiet and do not disturb them, poor things have a hard enough life being at the bottom of the food chain).  

I can remember you mentioning that you have hares where you work.  A friend of mine who lives in Saskatoon, have a lot of them at the local park, which are out and about during the day.  I rarely see mine active during the day.  They leave plenty of evidence behind after  their  nightly activites, for me to find.

• Like 1

I can remember you mentioning that you have hares where you work.  A friend of mine who lives in Saskatoon, have a lot of them at the local park, which are out and about during the day.  I rarely see mine active during the day.  They leave plenty of evidence behind after  their  nightly activites, for me to find.

I bet it's fun to see what they have been up to.   I think what we have are hares.  they are grey/brown in the summer and white in the winter.  I'm trying to recall if they have black tipped ears.