January 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

spacer.png

Do you want to challenge yourself to take photos every week in 2024?

Maybe you want to practice your photography skills, or just try to capture "ordinary" daily occurrences.

Let's just encourage each other.

This is a no-pressure thread, and you can share the photos you took or the theme you are going for (if you are going with a theme).

And if you don't want to share the photos yet, and only showcase them once they are in a montage or a scrapbook page, you can just say that you did it.

Who is in?

Well as I together with Suzy am the reason we are having this thread (thank you Carole) I'm in. I will use the script cass-CountingCards1 that has a card with the week number on it. That will give a coherent layout for the whole year and I will change the colors depending on my photo. This is just a card not a full scrapbook page and it will be easy to make. Which in my opinion makes it not too difficult to keep up with. When I have my first card done I show it here later today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

I did this last year only taking at least 1 photo every day then doing weekly layouts. I'm undecided as to whether I am continuing in 2024, but have been taking photos every day in case I do decide to continue on.

I call my version "Week In Review" and all 7 photos are on one page so at the end of the year I have 52 layouts.

• Like 2

• Cassel pinned this topic

Thank you Carole for the email newsletter today, it clears up that I dont have to photograph once per week.  I wanted so bad to make a whole deck of cards using all the t-cups I have.  Then I thought, what a drag to do the set up every week.  My workflow goes in a project based way.  so i will want to photograph all the t-cups over the next week or two, since I will want the same background, lighting etc.  And I want to sell most of them this year, so I don't want them hanging around for the whole year.   If this isn't what the spirit of the P52 is please let me know.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

25 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Carole for the email newsletter today, it clears up that I dont have to photograph once per week.  I wanted so bad to make a whole deck of cards using all the t-cups I have.  Then I thought, what a drag to do the set up every week.  My workflow goes in a project based way.  so i will want to photograph all the t-cups over the next week or two, since I will want the same background, lighting etc.  And I want to sell most of them this year, so I don't want them hanging around for the whole year.   If this isn't what the spirit of the P52 is please let me know. 

It is often called a CHALLENGE, but it should not be a STRUGGLE. I have seen this interpreted in many different ways, and honestly, what if you skip photos even for a few weeks? Unless you are tracking something super specific (ex: weight loss using a particular program, the growth of your flower garden), who would know that you took that picture this week or that week?

I am actually planning on joining this and showing Markus in different settings around me, throughout the year. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

It is often called a CHALLENGE, but it should not be a STRUGGLE. I have seen this interpreted in many different ways, and honestly, what if you skip photos even for a few weeks? Unless you are tracking something super specific (ex: weight loss using a particular program, the growth of your flower garden), who would know that you took that picture this week or that week?

I am actually planning on joining this and showing Markus in different settings around me, throughout the year. 🙂

Thank you.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Markus gets up to.

50 minutes ago, Cassel said:

There have been times when I haven't been able to take a photo so I do use one from a different day (like when I was in the hospital for 3 days).  My whole reason for starting to take at least one photo a day was to get comfortable with my camera and learn more about it when I started back in 2008. Heck, some days I take photos of stupid stuff just to play with the settings on the camera to figure out how to get the best result!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

There have been times when I haven't been able to take a photo so I do use one from a different day (like when I was in the hospital for 3 days).  My whole reason for starting to take at least one photo a day was to get comfortable with my camera and learn more about it when I started back in 2008. Heck, some days I take photos of stupid stuff just to play with the settings on the camera to figure out how to get the best result!

I don't use a camera any longer, I use my phone. The phones have better and better cameras, enough for what I want. But when I buy a new phone with new possibilities, I always do the same to get to know it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I don't use a camera any longer, I use my phone. The phones have better and better cameras, enough for what I want. But when I buy a new phone with new possibilities, I always do the same to get to know it.

I can't use a phone. I need something more substantial and I hold it with both hands. Any phone photos I take are always blurry because my hand shakes since the phone is so lightweight. And, when I started this in 2008, I had a cell phone that didn't even have a camera!!! I'll always use a regular camera no matter how great cell phones get at taking photos. Just call me a dinosaur...

And, I only use my phone for phone calls and texting as well. The screen is too small for me to get on the internet or play apps! LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rene Marker said:

I can't use a phone. I need something more substantial and I hold it with both hands. Any phone photos I take are always blurry because my hand shakes since the phone is so lightweight. And, when I started this in 2008, I had a cell phone that didn't even have a camera!!! I'll always use a regular camera no matter how great cell phones get at taking photos. Just call me a dinosaur...

And, I only use my phone for phone calls and texting as well. The screen is too small for me to get on the internet or play apps! LOL

Me too.  I'm also a dinosaur.  Truthfully, when I get home Friday night from work I don't even remember to look at my phone till Sunday night or Monday morning.  I only text and make calls, in fact...I hope you are all sitting down for this....I do not have data on my phone (*GASP*).  Now, that's a dinosaur!  I just got a message saying my phone is so old that I will not be able to receive or send photos or MMS texts (whatever they are).  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Me too.  I'm also a dinosaur.  Truthfully, when I get home Friday night from work I don't even remember to look at my phone till Sunday night or Monday morning.  I only text and make calls, in fact...I hope you are all sitting down for this....I do not have data on my phone (*GASP*).  Now, that's a dinosaur!  I just got a message saying my phone is so old that I will not be able to receive or send photos or MMS texts (whatever they are).  

Luckily every one can do what feels right to them. I have had and used cameras, but nowadays with phones having acceptable cameras I only use my phone. My children and their partners all work in IT and computers; so phones are always present and topics of the conversation. When I travel to my daughter in the States and I'm traveling on my own (because my hubby can't do that any longer) it is very convenient not to have a camera as well.

• Like 1

If I understand this correctly, to join you agree to: take at least one picture a week by whatever camera you choose and of whatever subject you choose (remember I am thinking like alphabet soup), and then to show it at the end of the week (just the photo, not a layout - so it should be quick and easy).  So, I need that script???

14 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

If I understand this correctly, to join you agree to: take at least one picture a week by whatever camera you choose and of whatever subject you choose (remember I am thinking like alphabet soup), and then to show it at the end of the week (just the photo, not a layout - so it should be quick and easy).  So, I need that script???

It is kind of the idea, but there is no real REQUIREMENT. It is more like a 'suggestion'. And no, you don't need a script. If you want to add a date to your photo, you can. If you want to have a date/week, that is similar, you CAN use a script to create your own set of overlays, but if you are comfortable with PSP, you can surely reuse the same one and just edit the date/week/color as needed.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Mary you do not have to use/buy that script, but it would be great if you could at least put a week number on your photo. The script does that for you with a frame and year as well. The idea is to make a coherent view of what you did, experienced, was a high/low-light of your week. When the year is at its end you have something you can share, print whatever takes your fancy. And as we all know, life happens and if you are not able to take a photo or can't post it that week, well do it the next week or if you prefer post only one's a month. Of course you can do this on your own, but we thought it might be more fun and a little pressure to keep doing this in a group. Even if your mojo is low at some point, one photo without making it a scrapbook project is doable besides all other things

1 minute ago, Cassel said:

It is kind of the idea, but there is no real REQUIREMENT. It is more like a 'suggestion'. And no, you don't need a script. If you want to add a date to your photo, you can. If you want to have a date/week, that is similar, you CAN use a script to create your own set of overlays, but if you are comfortable with PSP, you can surely reuse the same one and just edit the date/week/color as needed.

We were posting at the same time😃

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Thanks.  Guess I'm in.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Luckily every one can do what feels right to them. I have had and used cameras, but nowadays with phones having acceptable cameras I only use my phone. My children and their partners all work in IT and computers; so phones are always present and topics of the conversation. When I travel to my daughter in the States and I'm traveling on my own (because my hubby can't do that any longer) it is very convenient not to have a camera as well.

I can understand that.  And you are right, the phones are amazing these days.  They are almost the price of a camera too.  You are so lucky to have IT people in your family.  My hubby is really good on the computer side of things, but both of us are terrible with smart phones.  Soon my phone wont be supported (it's very low end smart phone - to say it's "smart" is a stretch) anymore and we will be having to navigate the multitude of options and plans.  It's the plans that stop us from buying, they are expensive.  I pay only $180 a year for unlimited texts, I only pay for phone calls during the day, nights and weekends are free.  I see plans that are "starting at" $35/month, that's more than double what I pay.  Believe me, I see the value in having data, just can justify the cost of it.  

• Like 2

Week 1.
Poncho received an orthopedic dog bed for his Christmas 🌲. He never wanted to lie on anything other than the floor, but this bed was adopted from day one.
At the beginning of last year he had problems with the left biceps tendon (shoulder), and had to undergo surgery for this, he was under anesthesia 4 times. We were very worried because collies are very sensitive to many medications. He has now recovered well, and his coat has grown back nicely, but is not allowed to jump, do stairs, etc

20221122_192341.jpg

mclp_chall_P52_week1_20240103_005230.jpg

• Love 6

52 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Week 1.
Poncho received an orthopedic dog bed for his Christmas 🌲. He never wanted to lie on anything other than the floor, but this bed was adopted from day one.
At the beginning of last year he had problems with the left biceps tendon (shoulder), and had to undergo surgery for this, he was under anesthesia 4 times. We were very worried because collies are very sensitive to many medications. He has now recovered well, and his coat has grown back nicely, but is not allowed to jump, do stairs, etc

20221122_192341.jpg

mclp_chall_P52_week1_20240103_005230.jpg

I'm very glad Poncho has recovered from the surgery! He almost has become a member in the scrapbook group. We see so many lovely photos with him.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm very glad Poncho has recovered from the surgery! He almost has become a member in the scrapbook group. We see so many lovely photos with him.

Thank you Corrie!

I forgot to mention that I also used a script from Carole for the frame with text. I've had that script for a while. Here on the forum I now notice that the blue color I chose is too dark. I didn't notice that on my large monitor.

cass-WordFrame.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Thank you Corrie!

I forgot to mention that I also used a script from Carole for the frame with text. I've had that script for a while. Here on the forum I now notice that the blue color I chose is too dark. I didn't notice that on my large monitor.

cass-WordFrame.jpg

Yes I have that color problem too and if I use a printservice that can give a slightly different color as well. I have calibrated my screen and that helped  a bit, it has not as much difference now. Your script comes in handy now!

• Like 2