Working on a book - Help me out!

Cassel

3 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Hi all,

only just discovered this discussion.
I'm still too much of a beginner for PSP to be able to recommend anything, but I've been scrapbooking long enough to know the drill.

I started in 2005 and have heard that it is a separate industry in the USA. And that there are several styles. We in Europe scrapbooked the photorealistic 3D style back then. So we cut out parts from photos and pictures as deco (of course in compliance with copyright law, which is particularly strict in Germany). But fashions also change in the Scraobbook. Now more 2D, comic style or multimedia mix is popular. Lots of good tips have already been given here for a physical book.

I have another thought that's bothering me right now. When writing a will today, you also have to include the digital data on your own computers in a will so that heirs can then deregister digital registrations in banks, insurance companies, forums, social media, etc. But what do I do with my external drives full of digitally purchased kits that have cost me a lot of money in total and over the years of purchase. How do I pass this on? The money is too good for me to delete because it could be used by an heir who is interested in it. I also see it as a destruction of artistic works if it were simply deleted.
Of course it will also depend on the laws of the country we come from, but have you thought about what will happen to your scrap treasures after your transition? Or maybe you already have experience on how to handle this? What the heirs then do with it is of course their own business, and this also applies to private photos that they cannot do anything with. We don't have any direct heirs, but we have a good connection to other younger relatives. I'll talk to them soon about... this scrap thing. I have a younger sister-in-law who is also very talented in art and works with digital self-expression, she plots and has a digital shop.

I'm interested in your answers.

I have wondered about my photography images after I am gone.  I have no kids and I think, it will just be all gone, who would want them?  It really is something to think about isn't it.  When a relative passes, does anyone remember about the computer and what might be on it?  I have to say, other than thinking all my photos will be just gone(when the computer gets recycled), I had never really thought about the works I have created with the photos.  I am interested in what others think as well.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am just updating this thread. After a few months, I am at the point where all the chapters and tutorials are done, at least, the first version.

There are two main sections: the Technical section about scrapbooking and a practical section (called "Scrap with me") that includes 10 projects, ranging from quick-pages to layouts done completely from scratch with different special effects.

So far, I have about 260 pages!!!

I still have to do the appendix, the index, the credits and references, and add a few more images.

So things are moving along!

• Love 6

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

I am just updating this thread. After a few months, I am at the point where all the chapters and tutorials are done, at least, the first version.

There are two main sections: the Technical section about scrapbooking and a practical section (called "Scrap with me") that includes 10 projects, ranging from quick-pages to layouts done completely from scratch with different special effects.

So far, I have about 260 pages!!!

I still have to do the appendix, the index, the credits and references, and add a few more images.

So things are moving along!

Yippeee!  I cant wait to hold it in my hands...I might need both hands to hold a book that size!  260+ pages is awesome as far as I'm concerned.  😁.  Kidding aside, a book on digital scapbooking with PSP will be a joy to own and be a great reference tool.  I'm grateful you took on this job for our benefit.

• Like 3

Templates I think go with producing Masks and useful for scrapbook projects for repeating and adapting styles. How about volunteer examples for the beginnings of chapters in the book from Scrapbook Campus scrapbookers similar to what Marisa Lerin produces in her weekly roundup for Digital Scrapbook.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fiona cook said:

How about volunteer examples for the beginnings of chapters in the book from Scrapbook Campus scrapbookers similar to what Marisa Lerin produces in her weekly roundup for Digital Scrapbook.com

I was actually going to ask around for some layouts. I have quite a few of my own, but would love to have some others too.

I'll post a call as soon as I have more specific requirements!

I would also LOVE to have more examples, like in a sort of "gallery" at the end of the book but that might make it a bit too thick at this point. But I'll see what I can do.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2024 at 12:05 PM, Doska St. said:

Hi all,

only just discovered this discussion.
I'm still too much of a beginner for PSP to be able to recommend anything, but I've been scrapbooking long enough to know the drill.

I started in 2005 and have heard that it is a separate industry in the USA. And that there are several styles. We in Europe scrapbooked the photorealistic 3D style back then. So we cut out parts from photos and pictures as deco (of course in compliance with copyright law, which is particularly strict in Germany). But fashions also change in the Scraobbook. Now more 2D, comic style or multimedia mix is popular. Lots of good tips have already been given here for a physical book.

I have another thought that's bothering me right now. When writing a will today, you also have to include the digital data on your own computers in a will so that heirs can then deregister digital registrations in banks, insurance companies, forums, social media, etc. But what do I do with my external drives full of digitally purchased kits that have cost me a lot of money in total and over the years of purchase. How do I pass this on? The money is too good for me to delete because it could be used by an heir who is interested in it. I also see it as a destruction of artistic works if it were simply deleted.
Of course it will also depend on the laws of the country we come from, but have you thought about what will happen to your scrap treasures after your transition? Or maybe you already have experience on how to handle this? What the heirs then do with it is of course their own business, and this also applies to private photos that they cannot do anything with. We don't have any direct heirs, but we have a good connection to other younger relatives. I'll talk to them soon about... this scrap thing. I have a younger sister-in-law who is also very talented in art and works with digital self-expression, she plots and has a digital shop.

I'm interested in your answers.

Hi Doska, I just see this now and it is an interesting subject. In the Netherlands you can make an appendix to your will with all your digital accounts. Your heirs, or a trustee that will execute your will, can deregister from all your accounts. However I don't know yet what I will do with all my accumulated supplies. Maybe one of my granddaughters will become interested, she has artistic potential and is following art classes but at this point is still to young. Hopefully I will live long enough that I can pass it to her one day. Otherwise I have no idea.

On 16.5.2024 at 19:36, Corrie Kinkel said:

Hallo Doska, ich sehe das jetzt und es ist ein interessantes Thema. In den Niederlanden können Sie mit all Ihren digitalen Konten einen Anhang zu Ihrem Testament machen. Ihre Erben oder ein Treuhänder, der Ihren Willen ausführt, können von allen Ihren Konten abmelden. Ich weiß jedoch noch nicht, was ich mit all meinen angesammelten Vorräten machen werde. Vielleicht wird eine meiner Enkelinnen interessiert, sie hat künstlerisches Potenzial und verfolgt Kunstunterricht, aber an diesem Punkt ist es noch jung. Hoffentlich lebe ich lange genug, damit ich es eines Tages an sie weitergeben kann. Sonst habe ich keine Ahnung.

Thank you, Corrie, for your response and your situation on this topic. Sorry if Google doesn't translate everything correctly.💝

5 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Thank you, Corrie, for your response and your situation on this topic. Sorry if Google doesn't translate everything correctly.💝

Doska, most of the time Google translate adequately and for me German is no problem because my daughter has lived in Switzerland for more as 20 years. She married there and her husband and my grandkids are Swiss. Just before the start of the pandemic the family moved to the USA.

• Love 1

I have read these posts and have found many suggestions, but I have not seen a suggestion of an early question that should be asked.

What is your Digital Scrapbook / Page for?

How will it be Dislayed?

If I were to print a traditional Scrapbook page 12 inches X 12 inches I would need an A2 size printer. My printer is size A4 (letter size USA). Should I make my page to fit my Printer?

Am I going to display my page on my computer screen or send it to my Tablet / IPad / Phone ? ( So many different sizes and shapes )

If I am making a Scrapbook (instead of just a page) I could send it for printing and to be made into a book.

How about displaying it electronically ?

Many of us will have received a copy of Corel FastFlick with our copy of PaintShop Pro Ultimate.

Has anyone used this to display their Scrapbook ?  I have Scrapbooked a title page for a series of photographs that were made into a video with background music using Fastflicks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, James Durrant said:

I have read these posts and have found many suggestions, but I have not seen a suggestion of an early question that should be asked.

What is your Digital Scrapbook / Page for?

How will it be Dislayed?

If I were to print a traditional Scrapbook page 12 inches X 12 inches I would need an A2 size printer. My printer is size A4 (letter size USA). Should I make my page to fit my Printer?

Am I going to display my page on my computer screen or send it to my Tablet / IPad / Phone ? ( So many different sizes and shapes )

If I am making a Scrapbook (instead of just a page) I could send it for printing and to be made into a book.

How about displaying it electronically ?

Many of us will have received a copy of Corel FastFlick with our copy of PaintShop Pro Ultimate.

Has anyone used this to display their Scrapbook ?  I have Scrapbooked a title page for a series of photographs that were made into a video with background music using Fastflicks.

This is actually a great idea and you are right, it was not included in the book so far. I guess I might need to add at least one chapter on the topic!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving along pretty well. The book is "done", although I am still waiting on proofreaders to catch all my typos and odd grammar syntax (remember that English is not my first language!). Then, I have to finalize a cover for it.

If everything goes according to plans, it should be released this summer. 

Stay tuned!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Yay!  Carole, you forged through and beat down the gremlins again.  Thank you.

They are not beaten yet. So far, things are working while I have my caching/security service on pause. I will keep it like that for a few more hours and re-enable it tonight or tomorrow and see. At least, it won't affect the Q&A for tomorrow!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Cassel said:

They are not beaten yet. So far, things are working while I have my caching/security service on pause. I will keep it like that for a few more hours and re-enable it tonight or tomorrow and see. At least, it won't affect the Q&A for tomorrow!

I'll keep everything🤞 crossed that it will work!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cassel said:

Oh wow, sound like a nightmare to me.  Good luck.  I'll be at the Q&A tomorrow

When I started out, I was very confused about my layers. Then I learned that you could NAME them! For me, it was a game changer. It's easier now to find what I want without the time consuming process of naming, but in the beginning it kept me from being totally lost.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Michele Hunold said:

When I started out, I was very confused about my layers. Then I learned that you could NAME them! For me, it was a game changer. It's easier now to find what I want without the time consuming process of naming, but in the beginning it kept me from being totally lost.

That is an interesting point. I don't usually teach it, for a couple of reasons: 

• you can have a preview that is visible, which is usually enough for me to know whether this is a frame, or a photo, or a paper
  • I often use the OpenasLayer script, which will rename based on the file you opened, so some layers will automatically be renamed

However, it could be useful, especially for those using older versions that don't have thumbnails in the Layers palette.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

That is an interesting point. I don't usually teach it, for a couple of reasons: 

• you can have a preview that is visible, which is usually enough for me to know whether this is a frame, or a photo, or a paper
  • I often use the OpenasLayer script, which will rename based on the file you opened, so some layers will automatically be renamed

However, it could be useful, especially for those using older versions that don't have thumbnails in the Layers palette.

Those thumbnails in the Layers Palette are pretty small so I still like to type in a quick name for some elements that are hard to see. When I use a lot of elements, it can get very difficult to figure which is which. I use abbreviations whenever I can to save time. e.g Flr 1, flr 2, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Those thumbnails in the Layers Palette are pretty small so I still like to type in a quick name for some elements that are hard to see. When I use a lot of elements, it can get very difficult to figure which is which. I use abbreviations whenever I can to save time. e.g Flr 1, flr 2, etc.

Julie I think we all have our own "system" for renaming the thumbnails and like you I most of the time rename the ones that are very hard to see. Alas over time I have to rename more and more because I find them harder to see. But to me that's a small price to pay for better and quicker reference; it offers an easier workflow in the end.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Those thumbnails in the Layers Palette are pretty small

Did you know that you can change the size of those thumbnails??

• WOW 2

3 minutes ago, Michele Hunold said:

No, I didn't know that! I just bought a bigger monitor. lol

A bigger monitor typically will have a higher resolution, and a higher resolution will result in smaller display. That is why I purposefully use a lower resolution on my monitor when I record tutorials or hold classes.

Then, in order to increase the size of the thumbnails, you can go to File > Preferences > General Program Preferences > Palettes and you can change the Palette Thumbnail size from the 50 pixels default to something else. You can also change the Tooltips Thumbnail to something large and that will give a bigger image when you hover over a layer.

• Like 2

Increasing the thumbnail size just means not as many layers will show in the layers palette. And, I want to have as many visible there as possible. I just changed mine to 100 (way too big for my many layer layouts) and 75 (better than 100 but still not many layers showing). Even at 100, some of the smaller elements are too small to actually see what it is.

Also, with my PSP settings/layout and screen size, I can see 7 layers when it is set at 50. A setting of 75 has 5 layers and a setting of 100 has 4 layers. 

However, changing the tooltip size is a better choice for me. A size of 200 seems to be good.

Again, personal preference. I will sometimes rename layers but since I drag and drop my papers and elements directly on to the layer palette they get renamed to the file name that way. I've been doing this so long, (long before I even knew about a script to open as a layer) it is just an automatic for me. I'm an old dog that has a hard time learning new tricks 😉

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

Increasing the thumbnail size just means not as many layers will show in the layers palette. And, I want to have as many visible there as possible. I just changed mine to 100 (way too big for my many layer layouts) and 75 (better than 100 but still not many layers showing). Even at 100, some of the smaller elements are too small to actually see what it is.

That is true. It is a matter of balancing the two. In a way, that was one advantage of the older versions without thumbnails at all, but then, it had no thumbnails!

4 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Julie I think we all have our own "system" for renaming the thumbnails and like you I most of the time rename the ones that are very hard to see. Alas over time I have to rename more and more because I find them harder to see. But to me that's a small price to pay for better and quicker reference; it offers an easier workflow in the end.

I do the same for small  ones especially, or if I have a lot of layers that are similar then i"ll for sure name them, or group them and now I highlight the orig. vector (in yellow) in case I need to get to it, it's really easy to find.

• Like 2