October TUT/TECH Challenge (2023)

Cassel

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I misspoke. I should have said Season 3 is coming soon. It will be streaming on Amazon Prime Video. And I still can't wait!! 🤩 I read on the group FB page that someone met them in person and was surprised that David is very sweet and Michael is the macho one. LOL

Oh how funny, I would have expected the opposite.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Hi Corrie,

Kudos from my husband (who has his computer next to mine) for your mushroom scrap. He is a mushroom fan. He thinks it is an umbrella mushroom that is edible. But I don't know if it's called that in English.

Thank you Doska and thank your hubby too. I only knew the name in Dutch (groene knolamaniet) and it is a highly poisonous mushroom. I looked for the translation to German and it is: Grüner Knollenblätterpilz oder Giftgünling and in Latin: Amanita phalloides. Hope your husband agrees and my advice don't eat it!!!!

5 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you Doska and thank your hubby too. I only knew the name in Dutch (groene knolamaniet) and it is a highly poisonous mushroom. I looked for the translation to German and it is: Grüner Knollenblätterpilz oder Giftgünling and in Latin: Amanita phalloides. Hope your husband agrees and my advice don't eat it!!!!

5 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

my advice don't eat it!!!!

We are not allowed to pick anything here, not from forests nor from parks. Nevertheless, some people do. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

We are not allowed to pick anything here, not from forests nor from parks. Nevertheless, some people do. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

I know Jannette, but for instance in Switzerland, the eastern European countries and I think Germany too it is just a normal thing to go and collect mushrooms from the woods. 

• Thanks 1

Hope I can still post this since it's not October anymore, but I needed to try my hand at this lifted photo.  I find it interesting, but not that easy to do for me. 

I forgot to add that the kit I used was from a collaborative kit that I got quite a few years ago.  It is called A Mother's Heart.

ChallengeLiftedPhotoNovPrev.jpg

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

12 minutes ago, Emerald Jay said:

Hope I can still post this since it's not October anymore, but I needed to try my hand at this lifted photo.  I find it interesting, but not that easy to do for me. 

All the challenge threads stay open forever! This also allows you to browse and go back to older challenges if they inspire you. Of course, you can also pick an older challenge and post it in the "What are you working on?" thread for the current month. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:22 AM, Susan Ewart said:

oooooh, I like that word..."ineffable".  I dont know what it means, but I like it. 

here is what my translator says ----- 

ineffable!

adjective

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anja Pelzer said:

here is what my translator says ----- 

ineffable!

adjective

Inexpressible, listed above is the word I'd say describes  the meaning of ineffable best.   I use it when I'm unable to find the words to describe something which is so wonderful it's beyond words.  I feel it's one of the best compliments you can pay anyone.

Ann refers to the word in  a different context to how I use it.   I haven't read the book Good Omens, so It may or may not have been  used in the book, but   used in the series to describe the  characters.  In the series the word had been nominalized.  If my knowledge of grammar hasn't failed me, the adjective word ineffable has been used as a noun.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Inexpressible, listed above is the word I'd say describes  the meaning of ineffable best.   I use it when I'm unable to find the words to describe something which is so wonderful it's beyond words.  I feel it's one of the best compliments you can  anyone.

Ann refers to the word in  a different context to how I use it.   I haven't read the book Good Omens, so It may or may not have been  used in the book, but   used in the series to describe the  characters.  In the series the word had been nominalized.  If my knowledge of grammar hasn't failed me, the adjective word ineffable has been used as a noun.

Oh nooooo, you just added another cool word.....inexpressible.  I know, have I been living in a cave all my life.  But I love ineffable the best.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Oh nooooo, you just added another cool word.....inexpressible.  I know, have I been living in a cave all my life.  But I love ineffable the best.  

We have a word in Dutch that more less means the same but I wouldn't have dared to use inexpressible because it is a literal translation from Dutch. I learned from experience that it can be tricky to literally translate something. Often that's ok, but it can go rather wrong too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

We have a word in Dutch that more less means the same but I wouldn't have dared to use inexpressible because it is a literal translation from Dutch. I learned from experience that it can be tricky to literally translate something. Often that's ok, but it can go rather wrong too!

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I agree with you, translating from one language to another can be tricky, and  translated words can be interpreted differently.  It's the same  for any language, Welsh included.    I would have used inexpressible in a totally different context, and not as a substitute for ineffable.   The only meaning for ineffable in my  dictionary, is  how I  initially  described it's meaning, and in exactly the same context in which I used it, when commenting on your page.   I try to refrain from using words  I would normally use on here, as I try to take into account the different languages, and how they would be defined.   I  also like and use the word appealing and ethereal .  My mum would  always use  the word appealing.  Also I use the  word pleasure,  or my pleasure instead of   no problem, or you're welcome.  It's difficult to change old habits.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 1