October FONT Challenge (2023)

Cassel

Palette-Challenge.jpg

Whenever you create a project, it is likely that you will want to use some text. In this case, you might be looking for some interesting fonts to showcase titles or dates. This month, you will get the opportunity to download a free font that would be perfect for Halloween-themed projects.

You can get this free font HERE.

spacer.png

This font has some extra glyphs for uppercase and a few additional dingbats too, for the season. Despite its name, you don't have to use this font in a Halloween project so you can be creative and use it differently.

• Cassel pinned this topic

I already did a Halloween layout for the theme of this month. We don't have a long tradition of Halloween festivities, nowadays it is more common, but it doesn't appeal that much to me. The grandkids are in the States and they of course participate. If I was there at this time of the year I would take a lot of photos, but over here no....

The Witch Mystery font however is a nice one and I used it for this layout featuring the "Windmills of Kinderdijk" (Netherlands), a Unesco World Heritage Site. Funny enough my cousin, who came along, and I, have never been there! We have both live not very far away from Kinderdijk, but as it is with things that are nearby we never got there because we thought: oh we can always do that. So last week we went to see those mills for ourselves and had a great day with fantastic weather and being offseason it was not congested as it can be in the summer. We didn't have to wait to take the little boats that ferry you along the 19 mills that are there. I have photos of the inside of one of the mills that we could visit, may I use those in another layout. Oh and all the mills dating from the 16th century and up are still in working order. They are designed to pump the water out of the canals to the river to keep the land dry and the other way around. Nowadays there are 2 pumping stations that do the same with electric machinery and the mills are a backup system.

For this layout I used template Lab 12-11and 4 of the photos I took that day. When we arrived, it still was a bit hazy and I used one of the hazy photos as a background, copied it and the used the blendmode Burn which made it more like a silhouette, but not as black. Then an overlay called Windy Pastels (Inky deals) with the blendmode Difference. I was trying different overlays to get something interesting and I like this result, it gives a sort of painting effect. Some embellishments from my stock and the other font is Aura.

Font-Challenge-Oct.2023-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

24 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I already did a Halloween layout for the theme of this month. We don't have a long tradition of Halloween festivities, nowadays it is more common, but it doesn't appeal that much to me. The grandkids are in the States and they of course participate. If I was there at this time of the year I would take a lot of photos, but over here no....

The Witch Mystery font however is a nice one and I used it for this layout featuring the "Windmills of Kinderdijk" (Netherlands), a Unesco World Heritage Site. Funny enough my cousin, who came along, and I, have never been there! We have both live not very far away from Kinderdijk, but as it is with things that are nearby we never got there because we thought: oh we can always do that. So last week we went to see those mills for ourselves and had a great day with fantastic weather and being offseason it was not congested as it can be in the summer. We didn't have to wait to take the little boats that ferry you along the 19 mills that are there. I have photos of the inside of one of the mills that we could visit, may I use those in another layout. Oh and all the mills dating from the 16th century and up are still in working order. They are designed to pump the water out of the canals to the river to keep the land dry and the other way around. Nowadays there are 2 pumping stations that do the same with electric machinery and the mills are a backup system.

For this layout I used template Lab 12-11and 4 of the photos I took that day. When we arrived, it still was a bit hazy and I used one of the hazy photos as a background, copied it and the used the blendmode Burn which made it more like a silhouette, but not as black. Then an overlay called Windy Pastels (Inky deals) with the blendmode Difference. I was trying different overlays to get something interesting and I like this result, it gives a sort of painting effect. Some embellishments from my stock and the other font is Aura.

I love that background effect.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Very nice indeed! 

• Thanks 1

This font isn't one I would have chosen myself.  I can see that it would appeal to some for  a particular Halloween project.   Halloween  has never appealed to me, probably because it isn't that popular at home, certainly not when I was growing up, as it is in North America.  I wanted to participate in the challenge.  I edited some of the letters to my liking, added leaves from another font.  The letters A and E, I resized, moving the  letters before them closer, by  changing the text to character shapes. Inner bevel.  Photos were taken yesterday.  Background paper is  a photo, 2 overlays, and a texture. 

Benefits of not raking leaves 1.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 7

15 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

This font isn't one I would have chosen myself.  I can see that it would appeal to some for  a particular Halloween project.   Halloween  has never appealed to me, probably because it isn't that popular at home, certainly not when I was growing up, as it is in North America.  I wanted to participate in the challenge.  I edited some of the letters to my liking, added leaves from another font.  The letters A and E, I resized, moving the  letters before them closer, by  changing the text to character shapes. Inner bevel.  Photos were taken yesterday.  Background paper is  a photo, 2 overlays, and a texture. 

I also don't like Halloween, because when I grew up we didn't even know such a thing existed and when my children were little it wasn't celebrated although we had seen it in movies and tv series. Nowadays it is mostly for children but no trick or treat and only some houses have little decorations. The font for this challenge is one I wouldn't have chosen; it was a freebie on CF and I didn't downloaded it at that day. I like what you did with it to make it more "you". I tried to do something like that but couldn't get something I liked, so I kept what I initially did. I want to use this layout and send it to my cousin who was with me, but I will change the font before I print it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I also don't like Halloween, because when I grew up we didn't even know such a thing existed and when my children were little it wasn't celebrated although we had seen it in movies and tv series. Nowadays it is mostly for children but no trick or treat and only some houses have little decorations. The font for this challenge is one I wouldn't have chosen; it was a freebie on CF and I didn't downloaded it at that day. I like what you did with it to make it more "you". I tried to do something like that but couldn't get something I liked, so I kept what I initially did. I want to use this layout and send it to my cousin who was with me, but I will change the font before I print it. 

I did another word art for the page too. To be in keeping with more my style, with fonts that I  like. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Corrie, this must be a great place to visit, and you created a lovely layout.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:44 AM, Sue Thomas said:

Sue, another beautiful page... And repeating myself, I love to observe every detail, like one of the admission tickets below the frame.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cristina said:

Sue, another beautiful page... And repeating myself, I love to observe every detail, like one of the admission tickets below the frame.

I like them too, they look so real.  And I like that the frame they are tucked under is a little off kilter (crooked) and the photo is a little lifted.  It's those little details that elevate the layout.  Aren't they a delight to discover?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cristina said:

Cristina, you are always so kind. Although the little details are subtle, they   do make the page stand out, which is why I like add  them.   Of course I  have Carole to thank for me being able to do such little things, as without the campus (tutorials etc) my pages wouldn't be as interesting for the viewer. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I like them too, they look so real.  And I like that the frame they are tucked under is a little off kilter (crooked) and the photo is a little lifted.  It's those little details that elevate the layout.  Aren't they a delight to discover?  

Susan I can only repeat what I  replied  to Cristina's comment.    If nothing else,   some of my pages may inspire you and others, to do something similar. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Template 200 by Lady 22, AKA, Bourico Casper.

November 1, 2018...visiting my home State. This fellow flew to this spot on the boardwalk and we were standing right there. He (she) stayed a long time and enjoyed posing for photos.

2018 11 1 Shem Creek Template 200 de lady22 600.jpg

The best kind of close encounter!  How do they stay so white.  Beautiful bird and photo.  I like that mask.  I did not know Bourico Casper is Lady 22.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

THE BACKGROUND IS FROM 2 COLORS AND A TEXTURE LEAVES FROM COREL. THE FONT NAME IS 101 FLORAL CORNERS.  THE DECORATIVE WINDOW IS ELEMENT 4 FROM ADRIENNES SCRAPKIT WINE COUNTRY. 

Wine Country Element (4).jpg

A pretty page. Did you know that birds like the Robin, and many others that feed on berries, can fall over drunk after eating to many of them.  It happens here to the Waxwings that winter here feeding on berries.  I like what you did with the floral corners.  What would be cool to do, is to use from vector shape, delete the background  layer on all four corners, then add a drop shadow to the background paper.  Add a matching page  below. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

A pretty page. Did you know that birds like the Robin, and many others that feed on berries, can fall over drunk after eating to many of them.  It happens here to the Waxwings that winter here feeding on berries.  I like what you did with the floral corners.  What would be cool to do, is to use from vector shape, delete the background  layer on all four corners, then add a drop shadow to the background paper.  Add a matching page  below. 

The waxwings here do that too.  We have a mountain ash tree that has berries they like.  We have had to pick them up off the ground and put them up high away from the neighbours cats.  And sadly we've had some dead ones from window strikes after getting drunk. 

We had to put bird strings on the outside of the window.  I have Acopian bird Savers - I used the instructions from the website to make my own and put them on 5 of the windows that any bird has struck.  Only two strikes in the last 5 years (that we know of).    

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

can fall over drunk after eating to many of them. 

And yes people who eat too much of the wine trendil can become slightly intoxicated. Priests of ancient Israel were not allowed to eat anything from the vine during their service in the temple. That's why I know. I came across that once so I figured out why. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Do You mean to make a cutout with a shade? If so a good tip. I add it to show what's more possible with fonts. I haven't seen it used here before.

Yes, along the lines of Carole's corner punches.  I have that font.  using the from vector shape, it gives good clean edges.  Or you could  convert to a raster, using the selection tool, delete.  Using that technique, you could remove the  edges, leaving only the  flowers, then use the selection tool, and delete.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Yes, along the lines of Carole's corner punches.  I have that font.  using the from vector shape, it gives good clean edges.  Or you could  convert to a raster, using the selection tool, delete.  Using that technique, you could remove the  edges, leaving only the  flowers, then use the selection tool, and delete.  

4 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Do You mean to make a cutout with a shade? If so a good tip. I add it to show what's more possible with fonts. I haven't seen it used here before.

Here is an example I did this evening, using the same font you used. It may inspire you to try something a little different using a font.  You are right, using fonts are very versatile, and often overlooked. I also used the same font, to add an embellishment to the frame.

as.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 5