September SKETCH Challenge (2023)

Cassel

Sketch311-2023-09.jpg

Learning scrapbooking is often done with practice, looking around for inspiration, and trying to recreate projects we admire. Sometimes, we can be inspired by finished projects, but sometimes, we also have to use our imagination to interpret something.

This challenge will give you an opportunity to envision something from a “boring” base, and you will have to imagine the end result differently. The sketch is only a written idea, and you can fly with it, modify it, and customize it to fit your vision, your photos, and your supplies.

Sketch311.jpg

And if you want more information on using sketches, check out this article.

Post your project in the gallery.

• Like 1

Well!  I started out with the intentions of using the sketch. It didn't take long for me to do my own thing, once I added the photos.  The background paper  is the photo of the Immature White-throated Sparrow,  blurred, overlay, and lowered opacity  I added the rosehip  photo to add a vibrant colour to make the page pop, on an otherwise earth toned page.  I screenshot the  poem to save me having to type it out. Blend mode multiply.

Autumn by John Keats.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

Finally finished my Sketch Challenge. Introducing my new great grandson, Raja Blue Lennox, little brother to Magic. He was born at home on Aug 31, and it took the parents a week to come up with a name. ? I think he weighed in at nearly 9 lbs. Daddy Will introduced him with a musical rendition of the opening to The Lion King, so I went with the theme and used a Lion King poster in the background, mirrored and screened in each of the 9 squares. The mat behind them has a wood grain pattern. The crown brads are from Janet Kemp. The title font is Broadway, treated to a Copper gradient and a Chrome Reflection gradient. The little word art top left is from Marisa Lerin. I tried out PSP's One Step Photo Fix and was impressed with the results. I think it is improved in PSP 2023.

WELCOME BABY RAJA BLUE LENNOX_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Another Autumn page  in a series that I'm doing, on the  birds that stop off for a brief visit, before  continuing their  long migratory journey. 

The  border is a combination of a corner element which I added a thin border all around to, overlay.  Phrase strips which I created, adding one of Carole's new punches.  I really do love these, they are ever so easy to use.  I do recommend using  guides or grid when  using them. Text on a text path, masks to slot the photos in .  Photo frames are done using the  vector rectangle  tool.

Autumn 2 birds.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Here's my take on the Sketch Challenge.  No words, just pictures.  It was fun to do.  I did the silver frame with vectors, not sure why, just seemed easier to do it that way.  the outer frame is one object and the 2 verticals are one object and the 2 horizontals as one object.  It just occured to me to make it a preset shape.  Wonder if it would be useful.  The background is a patter I got of rusty metal.  It only has a number name (02) but I think it came froim of the ...eezy website (Brusheezy, Vecteezy etc).  Lighting by mother nature...background by a non-descript black background I dragged outside....and had to weight down because it was like sail on a windy day and kept blowing over onto the poor subjects.  

Sketch Challenge Sept 2023-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 12

5 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Another Autumn page  in a series that I'm doing, on the  birds that stop off for a brief visit, before  continuing their  long migratory journey. 

The  border is a combination of a corner element which I added a thin border all around to, overlay.  Phrase strips which I created, adding one of Carole's new punches.  I really do love these, they are ever so easy to use.  I do recommend using  guides or grid when  using them. Text on a text path, masks to slot the photos in .  Photo frames are done using the  vector rectangle  tool.

Autumn 2 birds.jpg

that kestrel is so cute.  I love that border and the what you did with the word strips, in and out of the frames and the punches (which I bought but havent loaded - scripting is taking more time these days).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

that kestrel is so cute.  I love that border and the what you did with the word strips, in and out of the frames and the punches (which I bought but havent loaded - scripting is taking more time these days).

Thank you. I love what you did with the sketch.  Creative photography, beautifully done, you can't beat natural lighting, capturing the fine hairs on the stems.   I sometimes use boards as wind breaks, but never as a background. lol Did you have  the sun behind the  plants? As part of the leaf  appears translucent. I call it the telephoto effect, backlighting, which I often like to do to capture the translucency of flowers petals, and  Autumn leaves.

Just now, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you. I love what you did with the sketch.  Creative photography, beautifully done, you can't beat natural lighting, capturing the fine hairs on the stems.   I sometimes use boards as wind breaks, but never as a background. lol Did you have  the sun behind the  plants? As part of the leaf  appears translucent. I call it the telephoto effect, backlighting, which I often like to do to capture the translucency of flowers petals, and  Autumn leaves.

I'm off out now to shoot the  moon.  We had a drop of rain last night,  which has dampened down  the dust.  It's a calm clear night.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you for your words.  My heart is singing...and windows are breaking.  yes, the behind and a bit to the side.  I planted cosmos in pots (as a test to see if I could actually grow anything) and I have been able to move them around according to the sun.  the sunflowers were in the garden and the big wind we had made them all lean over at waist height so I was able to photograph them before getting them moved back upright. I will use that idea of a wind break next year.  I have been doing the cosmos like that too.  I look out the window and see the sun shining through and run for my camera.    My backyard has too much dappled light that is distracting since the neighbour cut down two huge trees that gave me beautiful deep dark shade in one corner.  So the backgrounds are not great, I had to come up with a plan.  Foamcore was first but it blew all over the place, even on lighting stands, so I went to a backdrop I have and put a weight on the stand base.  I love translucency in petals and leaves.   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I'm off out now to shoot the full moon.  We had a drop of rain last night,  which has dampened down  the dust.  It's a calm clear night.

You are lucky.  We are getting read for thundershowers.  Hoping it clears though and I heard tomorrow morning it's supposed to be good too.  I'll be getting up and seeing if it's sighting range for me.  Looking forward to seeing your results.  

4 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

@Sue Thomas@Dorothy Donn @Susan Ewart@Michele@Ann Seeber

CHAPEAU. For all of you. I tried yesterday again but failed hopelessly. ? I go further to order my laptop. better idea. hopefully, Carole will give us next week an easier one. 

Jannette, the sketch is only a starting point, you don't have to follow it to the letter.  The smallest detail of the sketch may trigger a layout, which will not resemble the sketch one iota. For me it was the three different sized frames, which took me down a completely different path. Don't feel compelled to  replicate the sketch.  For me,  more often than not my photos  determine the  colour scheme  and layout.  Of all the challenges we have, I have to say the sketch, is my least favourite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

@Sue Thomas@Dorothy Donn @Susan Ewart@Michele@Ann Seeber

CHAPEAU. For all of you. I tried yesterday again but failed hopelessly. ? I go further to order my laptop. better idea. hopefully, Carole will give us next week an easier one. 

I agree with Sue it's just a starting point.  Make it your own.  I did pretty much the sketch as shown, only because I'm in the Scripting course and my brain has imploded about 10 times already and I didnt want to have to think. I wanted to do a layout to reset my brain and be creative.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I agree with Sue it's just a starting point.  Make it your own.  I did pretty much the sketch as shown, only because I'm in the Scripting course and my brain has imploded about 10 times already and I didnt want to have to think. I wanted to do a layout to reset my brain and be creative.  

It's always a good idea to  get distracted from  the main task in hand.  When you go back to it,  you go back with a fresh perspective.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, Susan Ewart said:

We are slaves to our photos and we must obey.

I totally agree!  They appear to speak to me,  visualizing  the circumstances under which they were taken,  surrounding sounds,  even how hot or cold  I was when I was taking them, particularly when it's 30 below.  All of which I feel reflect in the layouts.  I'm not an artist, but I can fully understand how artists capture  every emotion they experience when  being creative. (All forms of art included) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I totally agree!  They appear to speak to me,  visualizing  the circumstances under which they were taken,  surrounding sounds,  even how hot or cold  I was when I was taking them, particularly when it's 30 below.  All of which I feel reflect in the layouts.  I'm not an artist, but I can fully understand how artists capture  every emotion they experience when  being creative. (All forms of art included) 

Yup, you are an artist, there is no mistake in that.  In fact I think we should all consider ourselves artists when we create.  Why not.  Remember the days art galleries wouldn't allow photographs because it wasnt "art".  Now some photographers create "Fine Art Photography", and show successfully in art galleries. The layouts in this forum often leave me thinking WOW!  This is incredible.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Yup, you are an artist, there is no mistake in that.  In fact I think we should all consider ourselves artists when we create.  Why not.  Remember the days art galleries wouldn't allow photographs because it wasnt "art".  Now some photographers create "Fine Art Photography", and show successfully in art galleries. The layouts in this forum often leave me thinking WOW!  This is incredible.  

Yes, we are all artists in our own right!

• Like 1
  • Love 2