August DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

3 hours ago, kasany said:

There are many insects in Our Fractal Garden now. I show only two ones. Shots taken by my cooworker in OFG.

INSECTSinOFG-DIY-2023-08.jpg

Very nice layout. The bee is a bumble bee , genus Bombus. I don't know the species.  The dragonfly is actually a damselfly, what species I don't know, but they are considered the  kid sisters of the dragonflies.

9 hours ago, kasany said:

It seems you like dragonflies;. I also love them. They are so delikate and subtle:)

They are.. I used to see them in swarms here on the property.
But have noticed a decline in the amount the last year or so.
But in their place, I have been seeing more hummingbirds. 
So the trade off is nice! = )`

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

They are.. I used to see them in swarms here on the property.
But have noticed a decline in the amount the last year or so.
But in their place, I have been seeing more hummingbirds. 
So the trade off is nice! = )`

It's a good trade off.  But dragonflies are special arent they?  Do you have a big property.  I used to live on various farms (horse), but have lived in the suburbs for 20+ years now.  I still miss living in the country.  Hopefully we can see your layouts of your property and  critters you get to see.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi Susan!

I live on a farm indeed. I love it.
I sure bet you miss it at times, there is nothing like it.
Most acreage is used for agriculture (wheat this year) and 
a handful of horses and cattle closer to the homestead.
I also have a vegetable garden and many fruit tress.

I love to make my own jams and pickles.
Then of course the pickled okra! Yummy!

I am just over an hour away from the big city,
so when I have to go for groceries, appointments, etc.
I make a full day of it so that I can stay afloat for a month or two.
The cities are just getting too large for my taste anymore.

Where do you live now?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

Hi Susan!

I live on a farm indeed. I love it.
I sure bet you miss it at times, there is nothing like it.
Most acreage is used for agriculture (wheat this year) and 
a handful of horses and cattle closer to the homestead.
I also have a vegetable garden and many fruit tress.

I love to make my own jams and pickles.
Then of course the pickled okra! Yummy!

I am just over an hour away from the big city,
so when I have to go for groceries, appointments, etc.
I make a full day of it so that I can stay afloat for a month or two.
The cities are just getting too large for my taste anymore.

Where do you live now?

I am in a small city in Alberta, Canada.  Close to a bigger city.  Lots of rural areas close by though if I need a country fix.  I'm not a fan of the big cities either.  Where are you in the world?

• Love 1

Here is my take on the DIY.  I should have called this Pink Power (or rather...Magenta Power in my book).  I went outside one morning and this stem was all wrapped up in spiders nest.  It looked like it was holding it together.  I've learned these are Cosmos.  I grew some in pots which turned out to be a good thing.  Then i can move them around for photos.  I have some in my tiny flower bed too.  Please dont think I actually know how to grow flowers.  This is a first for me.  I put a lot of stuff in the flower bed.  The packages all said to THIN THEM OUT, when the seeds come up.  I thought NO WAY, what if I thin them out and ones left dont survive.  Well, it looks like a jungle, the little LBJs (little brown birds) love it.  I also tried growing sunflower.  the package said 6-7 feet tall...mine is reaching about 9 feet and still no flower.  It's a mutant.  Here's the details on the supplies

• Font: I love Myself (Creative Fabrica)
  • Paper for Scallop strip: DiHiller PSSep20 Paper 6
  • Paper for bottom straight strip:  Espy Background 2C (Espinoza
  • Paper for  top strip: cpjess-campout wood paid paper 08
  • All papers from Digital Scrapbook
  • Photos:  mine
  • PSP techniques/tools etc: graidents, bevels, texture (from Effects>Texture Effects>Texture and Texture from the Materials Palette), lowered opacity. 

I like the DIY challenges.  They are hard but it's nice to come up with a plan and make it different than everyone else's (that's quite hard when there is a lot of layouts).  

DIY 2023 08 -Friends-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

OOoo Nice. Canada!
I have always wanted to go there.
I am a southern gal, Texas is where I call home.

What a lovely DIY, Susan!
I love the colors and those webbed flowers are to die for!
So truly unique. I have always loved looking at spider webs, certainly a work of art.
The quote you put on it is as precious too.

Sunflowers (they get out of control here if you let them.. They seed so quickly).
Symbolizes: Adoration, Loyalty and Longevity (such a lovely flower indeed).
The little secrets that I can share:
▫ Potassium & Phosphorus encourage huge blooms and it takes very little, as sunflowers don't naturally need fertilizer (though love rich soil).
(Some argue that they need something like Miracle-Gro or other all purpose plant food for big blooms, I have never used them on mine).
▫ Try to place them in places with full sun. (some say 6-8 hours per day, but my best blooms are in full Texas sun)
▫ Sunflowers need a lot of water to germinate, but require very little during the growing season. (I think this is one of the best secrets).
▫ Deadhead the flowers just a bit under the flower, usually to the nearest stem.  Not cutting too much stem as they will reproduce mere inches away.
( Once you start getting the blooms, this will encourage a lot of blooms during the season)

Do your plants show any bulbs at all?
Perhaps they have not started yet?
If you planted them via seeds, they could take up to 4 months to begin budding.
Good luck! I hope they will thrive for you soon!   ?

Edited by Jenifer Lyn
  • Love 2

I'm finally getting back in the game. I kept looking at this challenge and had the hardest time to make something work. Too many bits for my taste, but good for me to try.

I did not cadge any pix from Sue T (who is back for a while, I see - nice!) only picked them up online from Pixabay. Some insects are more "lovable" to me than others, but I would never hurt one or use any sprays. I kill only mosquitoes. Everything else gets trapped in a bug catcher and taken outside, even if my skin crawls to do it. Shiver.

I just played with this, threw a bunch of colours and arrangements of layers around, and this is what I got. I'm not delighted, but I just wanted to DO IT!

I have been watching all the amazing layouts and creative work going on. So much good stuff, and so uplifting to see. And some new names and faces too. That's great.

Aug 2023 DIY challenge .jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 7

On 8/20/2023 at 1:57 AM, Susan Ewart said:

Here is my take on the DIY.  I should have called this Pink Power (or rather...Magenta Power in my book).  I went outside one morning and this stem was all wrapped up in spiders nest.  It looked like it was holding it together.  I've learned these are Cosmos.  I grew some in pots which turned out to be a good thing.  Then i can move them around for photos.  I have some in my tiny flower bed too.  Please dont think I actually know how to grow flowers.  This is a first for me.  I put a lot of stuff in the flower bed.  The packages all said to THIN THEM OUT, when the seeds come up.  I thought NO WAY, what if I thin them out and ones left dont survive.  Well, it looks like a jungle, the little LBJs (little brown birds) love it.  I also tried growing sunflower.  the package said 6-7 feet tall...mine is reaching about 9 feet and still no flower.  It's a mutant.  Here's the details on the supplies

• Font: I love Myself (Creative Fabrica)
  • Paper for Scallop strip: DiHiller PSSep20 Paper 6
  • Paper for bottom straight strip:  Espy Background 2C (Espinoza
  • Paper for  top strip: cpjess-campout wood paid paper 08
  • All papers from Digital Scrapbook
  • Photos:  mine
  • PSP techniques/tools etc: graidents, bevels, texture (from Effects>Texture Effects>Texture and Texture from the Materials Palette), lowered opacity. 

I like the DIY challenges.  They are hard but it's nice to come up with a plan and make it different than everyone else's (that's quite hard when there is a lot of layouts).  

DIY 2023 08 -Friends-600.jpg

Love those pix! You're getting the hang of that new camera, I think.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I'm finally getting back in the game. I kept looking at this challenge and had the hardest time to make something work. Too many bits for my taste, but good for me to try.

I did not cadge any pix from Sue T (who is back for a while, I see - nice!) only picked them up online from Pixabay. Some insects are more "lovable" to me than others, but I would never hurt one or use any sprays. I kill only mosquitoes. Everything else gets trapped in a bug catcher and taken outside, even if my skin crawls to do it. Shiver.

I just played with this, threw a bunch of colours and arrangements of layers around, and this is what I got. I'm not delighted, but I just wanted to DO IT!

I have been watching all the amazing layouts and creative work going on. So much good stuff, and so uplifting to see. And some new names and faces too. That's great.

This has nice balance with the two arrows and of course always dynamic is diagonal lines leading you to the payoff in either direction (my eye tends to to go up rather than down), each end has a crawly payoff.  I like those spring colors.  Nice to see you back in the saddle.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Love those pix! You're getting the hang of that new camera, I think.

Sloooowly.  I just made myself use it.  Still much to learn, but it can wait.  I can shoot and change setting easily now and that's the important part.  Still need to tweak some user set up to stop some annoying things from happening.  Nice to see you back.  I was wondering where you were.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:12 AM, Jenifer Lyn said:

OOoo Nice. Canada!
I have always wanted to go there.
I am a southern gal, Texas is where I call home.

What a lovely DIY, Susan!
I love the colors and those webbed flowers are to die for!
So truly unique. I have always loved looking at spider webs, certainly a work of art.
The quote you put on it is as precious too.

Sunflowers (they get out of control here if you let them.. They seed so quickly).
Symbolizes: Adoration, Loyalty and Longevity (such a lovely flower indeed).
The little secrets that I can share:
▫ Potassium & Phosphorus encourage huge blooms and it takes very little, as sunflowers don't naturally need fertilizer (though love rich soil).
(Some argue that they need something like Miracle-Gro or other all purpose plant food for big blooms, I have never used them on mine).
▫ Try to place them in places with full sun. (some say 6-8 hours per day, but my best blooms are in full Texas sun)
▫ Sunflowers need a lot of water to germinate, but require very little during the growing season. (I think this is one of the best secrets).
▫ Deadhead the flowers just a bit under the flower, usually to the nearest stem.  Not cutting too much stem as they will reproduce mere inches away.
( Once you start getting the blooms, this will encourage a lot of blooms during the season)

Do your plants show any bulbs at all?
Perhaps they have not started yet?
If you planted them via seeds, they could take up to 4 months to begin budding.
Good luck! I hope they will thrive for you soon!   ?

Whew, sorry I'm late in answering this post.  I'm taking the scripting course and I think my head imploded at the new language I'm trying to learn.  Here I thought I understood English, but it appears I dont.  haha.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I did deadhead my other flowers and I will do so...with a very tall ladder...on the mutant sunflower.  2 are mutants and almost taller than the peak of the garage and 2 are smaller.  Among them are some other "mutant" plants that are huge but came with mystery mix in the package and are yet to grace the yard with flowers.  I wonder what they will look like.  I have some Zinnia and Cosmos that have made many flowers and I did them from seed early in June (as I did with all of them).  May is unpredictable and can be very warm or very cold and snowy...and the snow in the backyard is just finishing melting in May.  Next year I will start seeds inside and thin them like it says in the instructions.  it rather looks like a jungle in the space in the back yard.  I did lots in pots too, that way I can move them to get the sun or the background I needed.  Sadly, the neighbours cut 2 very large trees down and I lost all the lovely shade that works great to have black background with the flower in the sun.  It's being a challenge as my two trees arent filled in enough, so there is some dappled areas in the photos.  sometimes if the stems are strong enough I'll shoot them in my studio under constant light so I can control the light and background.  but mother nature is a better lighting artist than me and has better, stronger equipment in her arsenal, so I employ her when I can.  I have yet to learn how to use bulbs in planting but will try next year.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Lovely, refreshing layout.  The 7 spotted ladybird is a European and British species.  They were introduced into into North America, which makes it an evasive species.  I don't know anything about stick insects, nor have I ever seen one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I don't know anything about stick insects, nor have I ever seen one.

I wouldn't call a preying mantis a stick insect. They walk, jump and fly short distances. The females are renowned for eating the male after copulation. A neighbor boy brought in a cocoon on a stick and ended up with hundreds on his enclosed porch. Of course, they eat each other as their first meal. I'm surprised they're not prevalent in your area as they are very common here in NY. Lately there has been an influx of an "invasive" giant version that is not as benign as our native one. They are known to "prey" on hummingbirds so I watch to keep them away from my feeders. 

• Like 1
  • WOW 3

54 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I wouldn't call a preying mantis a stick insect. They walk, jump and fly short distances. The females are renowned for eating the male after copulation. A neighbor boy brought in a cocoon on a stick and ended up with hundreds on his enclosed porch. Of course, they eat each other as their first meal. I'm surprised they're not prevalent in your area as they are very common here in NY. Lately there has been an influx of an "invasive" giant version that is not as benign as our native one. They are known to "prey" on hummingbirds so I watch to keep them away from my feeders. 

Years ago when I went out to get into my car to go to work, there was a preying mantis on my side view mirror. I drove all the way to work (some of the time on a highway) and it was still there! Talk about stick-to-itiveness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • WOW 1

15 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Whew, sorry I'm late in answering this post.  I'm taking the scripting course and I think my head imploded at the new language I'm trying to learn.  Here I thought I understood English, but it appears I dont.  haha.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I did deadhead my other flowers and I will do so...with a very tall ladder...on the mutant sunflower.  2 are mutants and almost taller than the peak of the garage and 2 are smaller.  Among them are some other "mutant" plants that are huge but came with mystery mix in the package and are yet to grace the yard with flowers.  I wonder what they will look like.  I have some Zinnia and Cosmos that have made many flowers and I did them from seed early in June (as I did with all of them).  May is unpredictable and can be very warm or very cold and snowy...and the snow in the backyard is just finishing melting in May.  Next year I will start seeds inside and thin them like it says in the instructions.  it rather looks like a jungle in the space in the back yard.  I did lots in pots too, that way I can move them to get the sun or the background I needed.  Sadly, the neighbours cut 2 very large trees down and I lost all the lovely shade that works great to have black background with the flower in the sun.  It's being a challenge as my two trees arent filled in enough, so there is some dappled areas in the photos.  sometimes if the stems are strong enough I'll shoot them in my studio under constant light so I can control the light and background.  but mother nature is a better lighting artist than me and has better, stronger equipment in her arsenal, so I employ her when I can.  I have yet to learn how to use bulbs in planting but will try next year.  

Years ago I was learning python; it made my head explode. I kept at it for some time, and then just gave up. Not my thing, obviously.

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Years ago I was learning python; it made my head explode. I kept at it for some time, and then just gave up. Not my thing, obviously.

I think there is a big difference between "Learning Python" and "Learning to script using Python". In the scripting course, only "useful" stuff is taught, while in learning Python, unless you are a programmer, a lot of things are totally unrelated to PSP and scripting (I tried that too). So hopefully, nobody's head will explode! LOL

• Haha 4
  • WOW 1

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yikes Ann!  They are mutant bugs.  They are freaky.  I have never seen one, not even in a zoo.  Of course we might even have them here, they are masters of subterfuge (SP?).  See, they are evil....mutant evil bugs!  kidding, it's really cool you get to see them.  I must ask (with toes curling upward) how big are the invasive ones. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

I think there is a big difference between "Learning Python" and "Learning to script using Python". In the scripting course, only "useful" stuff is taught, while in learning Python, unless you are a programmer, a lot of things are totally unrelated to PSP and scripting (I tried that too). So hopefully, nobody's head will explode! LOL

Too late. (I'm just kidding).

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Actually Julie, I am the least technical person I know...and know at least 3 people!  I bet you'd do way better than you think.  I was thinking after the first and second lesson I might not get this and was not feeling confident with the 3rd.  But when I sat down and follow both the written and video tutorials it was actually better than the first two.  Not sure if it's because I am getting used to the odd words/language or not, it just seemed less daunting.  I just read the lesson for lesson 4 and it seems very doable.  And now I'm feel much more hopeful and learning to not think to far ahead.  If I dont understand something right now, it might covered in the coming lessons (as was the case with the results of one of the tests we did as homework, soon as a started reading the lesson the explanation was right there).  I think this really could be a doable course for anyone. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Nor would I.  I should have looked harder at the picture.  It  proved my point of not knowing anything about them.   Other than they are not native to Canada or the UK.  They were introduced into North America  on the east coast, and then into BC on the west coast to control  insects.  There are native and introduced species in the US.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Nor would I.  I should have looked harder at the picture.  It  proved my point of not knowing anything about them.   Other than they are not native to Canada or the UK.  They were introduced into North America  on the east coast, and then into BC on the west coast to control  insects.  There are native and introduced species in the US.

See... they really are evil bugs.  They are masters of disguise, I lived most of my life on the West coast and never saw one.....for that, I'm eternally grateful.  thanks for taking the time to do some research, now I know just which areas to avoid.  I can imagine if I was walking along and saw a "stick" move I'd jump out of my skin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1