August DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

43 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Challenge.

ground squirrel and ladybird page CHALLENGE 1 (5).jpg

Sue, where I work in an industrial area that borders natural areas there is a few empty lots (2 of which are in the middle of the industrial area).  they are always grassy and that's where I picked my Western Salsify weed to photograph.  a couple weeks ago we went to cut some more for me to photograph.  I only took cutters and no camera.  We get there someone had cut the long grass in the lots.  What we saw was ground squirrels... a lot of them, too many to count...and no camera.  I've worked there almost 10 yrs and never once saw a ground squirrel.  My doctors office is also there and I parked by one of the empty lots a couple days ago and there they were again, not more than 10 feet from me.  They are adorable. I had no idea they were there at all.  

• WOW 1
  • Love 2

@Sue Thomas, I'm very glad to see you back in the campus with all those wonderful photos in equally beautiful layouts! I wasn't too worried not seeing you here for so long, after all this more or less happens each summer and sometimes in winter too, depending on the weather conditions. I hope the weather at your place will remain good for some time so you have more time to shot more photos, enjoy your animals, go kayaking etc. Here we have a very strange summer, juni was exceptionally hot and juli was cold and had so much rain that there was some flooding in certain areas. The plus is that the heather is blooming fantastic and rather early. Of course I made photos which will appear in layouts in the coming months. Now I'm following the scripting course, we just started but I can already see it's very appealing. Scripts are made in another "language" which is very logical as far as I can see and being a beta that suits me to the T. But it is time consuming!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Sue, where I work in an industrial area that borders natural areas there is a few empty lots (2 of which are in the middle of the industrial area).  they are always grassy and that's where I picked my Western Salsify weed to photograph.  a couple weeks ago we went to cut some more for me to photograph.  I only took cutters and no camera.  We get there someone had cut the long grass in the lots.  What we saw was ground squirrels... a lot of them, too many to count...and no camera.  I've worked there almost 10 yrs and never once saw a ground squirrel.  My doctors office is also there and I parked by one of the empty lots a couple days ago and there they were again, not more than 10 feet from me.  They are adorable. I had no idea they were there at all.  

That's  wonderful, you'll  have to go back with the camera. Ground squirrels are  Prairie mammals, they prefer the short grass. 

1 hour ago, Michele said:

I was wondering where you've been, @Sue Thomas. I should have figured it out after knowing you all these years. Looking forward to seeing the results of your summer photography.

It has been a hot, dry summer, we've  had less than a 1/4 inch of rain since last year. With less and less snow each winter these past 4 yrs.  Between my outdoor activities, kayaking, riding, cycling, photography,  gardening I've  been ploding away doing cards, 2024 calendars, and advent calendars. As I'm going home for December and January.  I'm  also doing calendars for my little granddaughters using the photos I  took of them when I  was home last year. Sifting, sorting, and selection photos to keep from this year's many thousands of shots  is a laborious, time consuming job too.  So all in  all it's  been and still is a busy summer, but I  will continue  to be active while I'm  still able. The hummers have arrived for 3-4 weeks, making their long trip back south, some birds  are already starting to flock too.  

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

Je zult een goede camera hebben Suuze Tomas. prachtige foto's maak je. Ik heb alleen een mobiel met een redelijk goede camera voor enkele kiekjes. Die ik dan geregeld vergeet te gebruiken. Dan is de dag alweer voorbij zonder aan de camera gedacht te hebben. ?

How do I translate Jannette's comment into English or  even  Welsh, to enable me to read it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

@Sue Thomas, I'm very glad to see you back in the campus with all those wonderful photos in equally beautiful layouts! I wasn't too worried not seeing you here for so long, after all this more or less happens each summer and sometimes in winter too, depending on the weather conditions. I hope the weather at your place will remain good for some time so you have more time to shot more photos, enjoy your animals, go kayaking etc. Here we have a very strange summer, juni was exceptionally hot and juli was cold and had so much rain that there was some flooding in certain areas. The plus is that the heather is blooming fantastic and rather early. Of course I made photos which will appear in layouts in the coming months. Now I'm following the scripting course, we just started but I can already see it's very appealing. Scripts are made in another "language" which is very logical as far as I can see and being a beta that suits me to the T. But it is time consuming!

Occasionally I've popped into the campus.  Everyone has been very creative.  My family at home have said the same thing about the weather,  they too have  had a great deal of rain.  Not the summer they were hoping for. I was home this time last year, and the heather on the  mountains were blooming then.  Rachael sent me some pics of the heather on Mynydd Yr Gaer only yesterday, which she took whilst out exercising  the horse. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

How do I translate Jannette's comment into English or  even  Welsh, to enable me to read it.

I highlight the text, copy to the clipboard, then go to Google and type in Google translate, it's pops up with it will pop up and click to put your cursor on Enter Text (it's picky, I had to click right by the beginning of the E) and then paste.  Hope I got this right.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Susan Ewart said:

I highlight the text, copy to the clipboard, then go to Google and type in Google translate, it's pops up with it will pop up and click to put your cursor on Enter Text (it's picky, I had to click right by the beginning of the E) and then paste.  Hope I got this right.

I had a feeling I  would have to use Google. I thought there may have been a function somewhere within the campus to translate, that I  wasn't aware of. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I had a feeling I  would have to use Google. I thought there may have been a function somewhere within the campus to translate, that I  wasn't aware of. Thanks.

I didnt even know google did that until read someone on the campus using it.  All this time I couldnt read the comments.  One day the computer programs will know our own native language and translate autmatically.  That would put the AI's to a good use. 

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I have google translate bookmarked.  I highlight the text I want to translate, right click, copy.  Then in Google translate  paste.  You don't need to use the clipboard. I don't need to select the language, it automatically detects it once I've pasted it .

Screenshot 2023-08-18 085845.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I use Edge as my browser so my way might be different than yours.

I highlight the text, right click and one of the options is to translate to English. No needing to go to google and enter the text.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I highlight the text, right click and one of the options is to translate to English. No needing to go to google and enter the text.

Using Google Chrome, I just right clicked on the text, and translate to English  is one of the options, something I didn't realize.  I have learnt something new today.  

Screenshot 2023-08-18 094904.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

8 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Using Google Chrome, I just right clicked on the text, and translate to English  is one of the options, something I didn't realize.  I have learnt something new today.  

Screenshot 2023-08-18 094904.jpg

WOW!  This is cool and so easy.  Hidden gems, I love those.  Okay, right clicking is not really a "hidden" gem.  thanks for the new discovery.  

• Like 1

Ik ken een beetje Engels, maar zo nu en dat ik een woord van twee oversla. 

Hier is mijn bijdrage aan het thema van de maand. Deze heeft mij een paar uren bezorgd. Te veel items naar mijn zin. Ik hou van rustige en serene beelden. De naam van het lettertype is: Morgen, ik heb de foto vorig jaar zelf gemaakt. met mijn mobiel, nu is het dit jaar te regenachtig. IK ZIE GRAAG HET POLLEN  OP DE BLOEM.  

DIY-2023-08 AUG 2023.jpg

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

On 8/16/2023 at 3:14 PM, Mary Solaas said:

Ann - Thanks a whole lot!!! I've been looking for "frosted glass overlay" and can't find one.  This is how you do it!!!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Mary, sorry it took me so long but I had to check where I had that "frosted glass overlay" from. It is one of a pack of frosted glass overlays from Inky Deals and that is a freebie. They have a lot of different backgrounds and overlays as freebies.