April RANDOM Challenge (2023)

Cassel

Random-Challenge.jpg

Here is a challenge to do something that might not be repeated in other months. Just an idea that popped like that (and you can also send me suggestions for occasional random challenges too). However, it MIGHT become popular and if that is the case, we might use this challenge on a more regular basis.

Clusters can be a way to use elements you have and combine them differently. Sometimes, it is hard to get started from scratch, so let's use a sketch, which will be a starting point. Here is the cluster.

spacer.png

Although you don't have to use the shapes in the sketch as-is, you can use them as inspiration. The long rectangles can be papers or ribbons. The wavy shape would represent an uneven ribbon. The filled circle can be a tag (might not be round either). The empty rings can be replaced by filled elements or empty ones. The flower shape can be a placeholder for another flower or even a different element in a similar size.

Remember that templates and sketches are meant to be a starting point, but you can modify the end result as needed.

Post your project in the gallery.

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Hi Carole, 

Nice challenge, but I cann't download the template. That's not a problem for me I can do it from scratch, but some other might want a template to play with.

I created a PSPIMAGE template from Carole's sketch. The wavy ribbon is still a bit rough. ? I'll post it in the Files on Facebook for whoever would like it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I created a PSPIMAGE template from Carole's sketch. The wavy ribbon is still a bit rough. ? I'll post it in the Files on Facebook for whoever would like it. 

Sorry to see you work so hard. When I create it, it is already in layers. The idea was only to use the shapes as placeholders, not as exact shapes, which is why I didn't include the layered version. But if that is what participants want, next time, I can share the layered version. It is created using the Cluster Template Maker.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

Sorry to see you work so hard. When I create it, it is already in layers. The idea was only to use the shapes as placeholders, not as exact shapes, which is why I didn't include the layered version. But if that is what participants want, next time, I can share the layered version. It is created using the Cluster Template Maker.

That's ok, Carole. I enjoy playing with templates. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

I don't enjoy clusters and rarely, if ever, use them. I had to turn to pickleball to get started. I didn't add shadows...should I have. If anyone else used shadows, they would want to add their own. 

Clusters are about grouping elements, and not photos. Of course, if you are thinking of them as page templates, they rarely make sense! ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cassel said:

Clusters are about grouping elements, and not photos. Of course, if you are thinking of them as page templates, they rarely make sense! ?

I thought of it as an element template as I collected a few when working on my Build-A-Kit. Thank you, Carole, this is just what I was missing! I also have a set of element templates from Janet Kemp. Here's her preview.

DS_JanetKemp_AprShwrs_TempBundleWeb_300.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber

I was working on a layout for my cousin with pictures from Hurricane Ian so thought I would use this cluster sketch to add to it. There was a space on the template where it would work since the template had a paper strip. I just used elements from the kit I was using (Stormy Weather available at Sweet Digi Scraps). Background paper is not the paper from the layout though.

April Random Cluster Challenge.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have collected a few clusters over time, but I end up never using them on the few layouts I do. I'm not a scrapbooker so frills and embellishments are not to my taste.I  think Sue Thomas's idea of having a layout and then creating the cluster makes good sense.

I wanted some spring-y colours in mine to go with the warm weather we're having, which is really unseasonable for this area, as in 'way too hot!

The wavy ribbon is from lindsay jane designs and it's a border that I resized and changed the shape of. The flowers and paper strip are from Di Hiller. Only a tiny bit of shadow added since I see that many designers offer their clusters with and without.

2023 Apr sketch challenge cluster.jpg

• Love 5

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I have collected a few clusters over time, but I end up never using them on the few layouts I do. I'm not a scrapbooker so frills and embellishments are not to my taste.I  think Sue Thomas's idea of having a layout and then creating the cluster makes good sense.

I wanted some spring-y colours in mine to go with the warm weather we're having, which is really unseasonable for this area, as in 'way too hot!

The wavy ribbon is from lindsay jane designs and it's a border that I resized and changed the shape of. The flowers and paper strip are from Di Hiller. Only a tiny bit of shadow added since I see that many designers offer their clusters with and without.

2023 Apr sketch challenge cluster.jpg

I'm the same.  My goal is always to  draw the the eye to my photos, with minimum elements and embellishments.  I'm not a fussy, frilly,  clutter sort of person, never have been, which also reflects in my  pages.   That doesn't mean I don't like pages that are busy, it's just not me. 

• Like 4

It seems that most of us don't like clusters very much and that includes me too! When I was searching my photos for the coming Double Page Workshop I decided the theme (I like a theme) Switzerland as I have so many photos about it. I have done some layouts for my daughter and her in-laws so I have the ribbons and the flair button I used for this random challenge. But it is not my thing, maybe just a good idea to get out of my comfort zone?

Cluster-600.jpg

• Love 4

I have learned over the years to embrace clusters but I really am a clean and simple scrapper. However, a small cluster can help add a pop to the page and sometimes helps to hide an imperfection of a photo. A well done simple cluster can actually be used as a border for a photo, like the sketch in this challenge.

I still cannot cluster heavily like some scrappers do but then their reason for scrapping (which they admit to) is for an artistic outlet. Some of them use the same photos over and over. I am a storyteller and my photos tell a story so I do want them to be front and center on a layout. But I have found that small clusters can really add a little extra to the layout but not take away from the story.

Here is the layout that my cluster was used on. The template had the paper strip under the 3 photos as a journaling strip. I had a large amount of journaling so instead of making it super small and unreadable, I chose to use it for the cluster. The template used was a freebie at one time by Scrapping With Liz.

2022 Hurricane Ian B.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 5