Working with a (Wacom) pen tablet.

Marie-Claire

It is a great question to ask here.

I use an old Bamboo Fun tablet. It is over 10 years old, and that model is now discontinued, yet, it still works perfectly. Wacom is a good brand for tablet. I don't have experience with any other model or make, but other members might have something else.

Installation is usually seamless, and you might need just a few customization for the settings you prefer. I installed my tablet when I was still using Windows 7, I think. I am now using Windows 10 and still use the same one.

I've had several over the years, all Wacom brand. The one I used the most was 10 years ago and I used it with my laptop when I would go to scrapping retreats. It was a tablet that had a pen and a mouse.

I did buy one again last fall but then starting having computer issues so never got back into using it. I haven't installed it on this computer yet. Probably should but I haven't been using PSP that much lately and that's why I got it.

It does take getting use to though, at least it did for me.

I am using a Wacom Intuos Pro-medium. I bought it about 6 months ago. I use it and my regular wireless mouse. It opens up a lot of ease of use, opportunities both with Paintshop Pro & Corel Painter. I use it with Windows 10. For drawing, painting, different paintbrush & tube settings, or even for doing hair, fur, landscapes, etc. The fun and experimenting is endless. I do love having & using it but I miss the use of my XP Pen Display which became unusable to me using Windows, one of their updates made it become unusable, obsolete so to speak, overnight. Anyway, yes, its quite usable & fun with many different tools and techniques. Right now, its cheaper than what I paid for it (like $100 cheaper). It might be a good time to buy.

Here are my suggestions to help, when you get your tablet:

- check and adjust the settings for your stylus and your tablet: you might need to adjust the sensitivity, or assign some functions to some buttons.

- find a comfortable position for your tablet; many people use the tablet on the side of their keyboard. See if it works for you. Personally, I found that I needed the tablet in front of me (so I could use my left hand for the buttons). Once you find that comfortable position, you are more likely to use the tablet.

- explore using the tablet with different programs, and see how they behave. Try surfing the net, writing emails, posting in the forum, making selections in PSP, etc. See how you can "right-click", "click and drag", how to simulate the wheel from the mouse, etc.

- hide your mouse for a bit; challenge yourself to NOT use the mouse for a week, while still doing your usual tasks. At first, it might feel a bit awkward, so if the mouse is right there, you might revert to the most familiar tool.

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

Thank you Carol!! it's like you say, it's best to put the mouse out of reach, otherwise you'll take the mouse rather quickly because you're used to it.

The tablet arrived yesterday, and I managed to install the driver and get it to work with my laptop. I do have a large external screen that I work with. That's much easier than the smaller screen of a laptop.

And now the graphics tablet. The child can have fun :-D

I also placed the tablet in front of me, which I also find easiest. Yesterday and today I didn't have time to work on the PC But tomorrow I will definitely experiment further.

Thank you for mentioning this in your newsletter, all explanations and suggestions are welcome!

Can someone help me with the following?

I'm still experimenting with the wacom tablet.

With the mouse I slide a photo or image or element from XN View to my project in PSP. I can't do that with the wacom tablet. Is that possible ? or is there any action I must do when dragging the photo with the pen to psp ?

Depending on the model, you should have some settings to adjust. There should be a way to drag and drop using the stylus. Do you have Wacom Preferences (or something similar) available where you can see those options?

Thanks Cassel,

I did a search in the Wacom Preferences, but couldn't find the drag and drop setting anywhere.

After some searching on the internet I tried a few things, and after I had unchecked the option : Use windows ink, I can now drag and drop from XnViewMP into PSP.

Here's a screenshot, it's in Dutch, but I thought it might help other people in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@Mary Solaas thanks again Mary for your comment in the Mask Workshop about my dog and layouts.
I think I read somewhere that you now also have a wacom tablet and pen? Do you now only work with the pen for everything? also outside PSP ? Or do you also use the mouse.
I still find it difficult outside of PSP, especially scrolling is easier with the mouse I find.
In PSP I have to be careful because I easily move toolbars without wanting to.
Are you used to it already?

On 6/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, Marie-Claire said:

I am thinking of buying a wacom pen tablet.

Are there any members who use a pen tablet? what would you recommend me? which ? it is easy to install. I work with windows 10.

I hope it's not a problem to ask this here in the forum

Some time ago (maybe a year?) I bought a Wacom Intuous Pro on sale. First I chose the large, but it was too big for my workspace so I returned for a smaller one (size S-M I think). It is easy to install and use, just need to tweak a few settings after the installation.

I like using it, but the secret to it is to use it ALL THE TIME. No more mousing. I've not been able to do that yet, but I keep telling myself I will. When I feel a bit rushed or impatient, I just reach for the mouse and then the habit is broken again.

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

@Mary Solaas thanks again Mary for your comment in the Mask Workshop about my dog and layouts.
I think I read somewhere that you now also have a wacom tablet and pen? Do you now only work with the pen for everything? also outside PSP ? Or do you also use the mouse.
I still find it difficult outside of PSP, especially scrolling is easier with the mouse I find.
In PSP I have to be careful because I easily move toolbars without wanting to.
Are you used to it already?

I do use a tablet but it is not a wacom.  I bought a cheaper type called XP.  I have only used it with PSP.  And not on the laptop.  It is connected to my desktop which is mostly where I work. I have to remind myself, though to use it.  Mostly it is when I invoke the pen tool.  I'm beginning to be more comfortable with it and with the pen tool.  I really hated the pen tool until I started using the tablet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I like using it, but the secret to it is to use it ALL THE TIME. No more mousing. I've not been able to do that yet, but I keep telling myself I will. When I feel a bit rushed or impatient, I just reach for the mouse and then the habit is broken again.

On my desktop, I don't have a mouse plugged in so I do EVERYTHING with the tablet. On my laptop, I still have the mouse (I hate the touch pad), but occasionally, if I am away for a long period, I will bring my tablet. And working with PSP, it is so much more precise than a mouse!!!

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 4:08 PM, Julie Magerka said:

That's how it goes with me Julie.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, Cassel said:

On my desktop, I don't have a mouse plugged in so I do EVERYTHING with the tablet. On my laptop, I still have the mouse (I hate the touch pad), but occasionally, if I am away for a long period, I will bring my tablet. And working with PSP, it is so much more precise than a mouse!!!

I know, I should just put the mouse away. I had done that in the beginning, but sometimes I get so impatient and want to finish something, then I still take the mouse again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

I know, I should just put the mouse away. I had done that in the beginning, but sometimes I get so impatient and want to finish something, then I still take the mouse again.

Are there some uses that still feel difficult to do with the tablet? I know I use it for everything EXCEPT one video game (that i have now installed on my laptop only). I uses it while surfing the net, replying to these posts, editing videos, working on text documents, coding with Notepad, working on my emails, editing and working on the site, etc.

I cannot use a pen for everything. I tried many years ago. So even if I did use it for PSP, I would still have to have my mouse handy. I have a hard time even using a regular pen since I had rotator cuff surgery 20 years ago.

I should connect my tablet to this computer and try using it when using PSP since I've done a few tutorials that use the pen tool.

23 hours ago, Cassel said:

Are there some uses that still feel difficult to do with the tablet? I know I use it for everything EXCEPT one video game (that i have now installed on my laptop only). I uses it while surfing the net, replying to these posts, editing videos, working on text documents, coding with Notepad, working on my emails, editing and working on the site, etc.

I have a hard time with the things where using the scroll button of the mouse, with the pen I find that difficult.
I also often move things with the pen without wanting to, such as a toolbar for example. That's a problem for me in particular, that it's easier to tap things with the pen that I don't really want to tap.
Applying the right click of the mouse, to the pen is also a tricky adjustment for me..
I guess I just need to persevere and be patient

• Like 1