BOOTCAMP January 2021

Cassel

Leslie: Your woodpecker layout is awesome! Everything coordinates nicely with your theme. Good job!

Clarine: I love your photo and your color scheme. I think if I was that stuck I would click on the Need help? tab on the right side of each page, knowing Carole/Cassel would email me privately and get me out of any mess. Try it!

Lynn: Your swan layout looks great! I just found Unsplash myself so I'll have to try some of their photos.

Julia: I like the colors used in your second layout and your photo is beautiful; to me that's creativity! Keep practicing, things will jell better for you as you try more layouts. Your first layout turned out really well - love that rosy paper background!

Amparo: Welcome! Hoping to see your work soon!

Jacques: Your embellishments always make me chuckle! :-)

Cindy: Pinks and blues.. your layout is very sweet.

AnnieT: What can I say.. very interesting how you used your background paper as a pattern to fill your headline text. That's a technique I should use more often! Thanks! ;-)

And last but not least, here's a joke I got from a friend in Sweden that I can't stop laughing at, hoping it brightens your day too:

Hello All,

Oh I had so much fun didn't want to stop, so made another one naming day5b.   I used the free download from PixelScrapper. 

On the day5b I used the Script I bought from Our Store that Our Teacher made, they are GREAT.  Creation Cassel

I used the Bow Script and I used 2 of the Date scripts and used a Scatter Confetti maker.  I have Tubes I bought and started to use but I  was just getting carried away so had to stop and not make it so busy.   What Fun, Our Teacher and this program is so fun once you are comfortable with everything which I am not  yet but it so fun.

Totally love our Teachers tubes and Scripts, I cant wait to get my name in the Drawing.  I want one of the new scripts I hope I win.  I will buy it but saving my money to buy the Diamond Membership for February. Though If I win a membership then I can buy the script...   Love having things to look forward to.

Cassel has helped me so much get thru this 2020, don't think I could of make it with out this.  Its been so hard loss of income and being a almost locked down alone in my home.  Though I did get to start seeing my family but because I have now Parkinson's and heart problems they shield me to keep me safe.  I really hate Cov19.

Also thank you to everyone that has been so nice to me.  Love you all.

Hi All,

Had so much fun I remade my lesson calling it day5b, it was so fun Using our Teachers scripts from her Store

CreationCassel  https://www.creationcassel.com/store 

I used a few of our Teachers Scripts the Confetti and Date Stamps and Bow Scripts.  They are so Fun and Fast!

I used the kit from Pixelscrappers https://www.pixelscrappers.com

thanks you all  Great Teacher and Friends.   :)

Sorry for the delay in the daily update.

Annie T. I am also intrigued by those photos of the Project 1. What are they? any idea in the photo description? For the Project 2, I find it cute the way you did the title.

Ann S., did you get the assignment for the Project 1 yet? I see you did the Project 2 there. I love how you created that show top with very little work! Very creative. I would tend to suggest a much larger yet blurred shadow on the pinecone. It is, after all, quite thicker than any paper of your project.

Mary, is it possible that you only see one image because your images are tabbed? If you go to the Windows menu on top, do you have Tabbed documents checked? If so, Uncheck it and you will be able to see all the other images at the same time. For the Dropper tool question, do you mean that you don't get the Dropper tool to appear or that it does not change the color of the text once you pick the color with the tool? If the Dropper tool works but it does not apply to the text, it might be because the text you want to change has to be highlighted. Could that be the issue? As for the availability of the tutorials, don't worry. As long as you keep the passwords handy, they will stay available. For your project, I would recommend that you use shadows that are smaller; large shadows suggest that the element is either very thick or floating above the surface. Can you cut them to half what you had?

Annie, we have hundreds of tutorials inside the DIAMOND membership to detail how to make various elements. You can even see some projects where members are posting their projects in the forum. If you see threads titles mentioning Lab numbers, that is usually someone posting projects made with the tutorials inside that particular Lab module. If you want to read a bit more about it, you can check THIS page.

Leslie, over time, my eye has been trained to catch those details! I hope you don't mind when I point them out as I think it is a matter of helping everyone train their own eyes to them too. For your Adventure project, your shadows are great and I like that you chose to add shadows to the title BECAUSE it is not ink. That is a great reasoning. One detail I would suggest is to have a larger shadow on the house element. The reason is that it already has some inside shadows suggesting it is thick, so unless you want it to look like it is indented inward (which could also be an option, although unusual) you would simply want the outside shadow to match it. But I have to say it is a very unusual situation.

Clarine, you are so determined! When you say that the drop shadow didn't work on the strip of paper and the text, do you get a shadow layer added in the Layers palette? Were you using the same settings as for the photo? Can you post a screenshot of your Layers palette once you have added shadows if they don't show on your project?

Lynn, that is interesting to use a mask! And good for you to not add shadows to masks. Let's clarify that using masks is a more advanced technique that is not covered in the bootcamp.

Julia, creativity comes from looking around, including this forum :) Did you forget the shadows on the strips of paper on the Fall layout? or maybe you just hid them and forgot to unhide them before saving?

Amparo, glad to see you joined. You still have time to catch up.

Jacques, I am sure a lot of participants are jealous of your fantastic photos and the fact that you are doing all that (we are expecting over a foot of snow later today, and seeing your surroundings makes me jealous... in a good way)

Cindy, I love the soft colors of your second layout. I have a couple of suggestions for you. For the text, I think it really needs some fill as the outline is quite hard to read. Then, for the photo, I suspect you didn't resize it proportionally. You look quite squished in that photo! I have seen the original photo and this one is definitely distorted. Oh, and when you use a datestamp, typically, it is made of ink so there should not be a shadow.

Jennifer, great layout. Thank you for linking to the supplies you used. It can definitely help others who will like to get it.

Cassel/Carole: Yes, I had posted the first project "New Dane in Town" on message #51526 (I went back and looked) but I'll post it again here along with a second  layout for Adventure #2, which I call "Pink Sky Before Dawn." In this one I used another photo out my kitchen window. The pink sky is natural, my iPhone doesn't do depth of field unless it's a portrait. About the only thing not changed from "After the Snowfall" was the photo frame as I couldn't find one that was better. The elements are all from Corel's Winter Clipart collection (including the bird and branch!) and a snowflake scatter from one of my Iceland kits. The papers are from my VAST collection of papers! ;-)

Edit: And here's a revised version of Adventure #1- "After the Snowfall" with the shadow much heavier on the pine cone. You're right; I like it better myself!

Thank you Annie and Ann for your kinds words of encouragement..  I sure appreciate that.  It sure is fun to see all the creations from each lesson.   I am totally not a creative person.  It takes me along time to come up with ideas for a project.  Getting to see what others have done helps a lot.  Until tomorrow....

Cassel ... each photo is of a single faded and aging bloom and each by separate photographers. The technique they use to bring only the faded bloom to be nestled against a very dark background is just beautiful. The search parameter I used in Unsplash was 'faded flower'. Ooooh ... teacher caught me out ... tis not my artistic bent with the title it is a font "Eclipse" and I have a few like it. Truth be told I have way, way, WAY too many fonts and even though I use NexusFont for ease of access I have not yet put my fonts into groups and sets ... probably make things a lot easier! ;D

Elaine, welcome to the Bootcamp. Is that the photo you had to resize? How large (or small) was it to start? I know this is a sized-down version of the whole page but how did you find the result of the sizing up?

Ann S. I am sorry that I must have skipped over your New dane layout. As for shadows, I drill down so much to people about not using huge shadows that make elements look like they are floating and they are listening! But yes, in some situations, they are needed!

Annie, you are doing great in posting your page. Keep it up. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Clarine, if you need inspiration, one thing you can do is scraplifting. That is a case of "copying" an existing layout that you like. Obviously, the copying will never be identical, since you don't have the same kits as the copied layout but it will give you something to start, and after a while, even if you are STARTING with the idea of copying a page, you might just tweak it to suit your need, your photos, etc.

Connie, glad to see you already used that photo you had planned to use from the beginning. You managed the shadows very well. Good job!

I don't know how to answer your questions Cassel on the page where you wrote it so here goes.  No, my images are NOT tabbed and I can see all images using Cascade. I think what is happening is I hit the rectangle on my image and it made it go larger and showed my background around the image so it is all bigger on the page. I want it to go back to how it looked when I first opened the image with the blue border and the rulers touch in the corners at 0.

My problem with the dropper while in Text Toolbar was that I would get the dropper when I pointed to the Font Color icon on the toolbar and I could drag the dropper to my Materials Palette but NOT onto my photo.  I am so new at this! I spent hours and hours working on Project 2 as I had to research things that didn't work for me.  So in the PDF Manual for my 2021 Version I found on page 287 that there should be a dropper on the Text Toolbar to activate it -- but none there.  So I found that on the Materials Palette near the bottom there is the eye dropper!  When I select it then I can get a color from my photo to use as a Font Color!  Yeah! So I did a color from a leaf for my Title color on Project 2. I wish my version was exactly like yours to make it easier for me. I watch your videos 4-5 times.  I stop them and take notes and still I struggle. But I am learning a lot!

Is there a way to merge just 3-4 layers so I can move them together?? When I finished my Project 2, I looked and would have liked to have the 3 paper layers and the photo moved lower on my page without having to piece by piece. So as I group I would have liked to move them together.

I guess since I joined the Pixel Scrappers that first time it won't allow me to download any of the sets on your Lesson Pages.  I used all my paper and embellishments 5 downloads a day.  So I have to figure out what I am doing to know what to download. Still frustrating! I think you gave other suggestions of where to get those items but I can't find them.

At this point I don't think I will keep up scrapbooking. I am a beginner photographer so the tools with help some with it.  I haven't found a 2021 book to help.  I have trouble with the scrapbooking taking the focus away from the photo.

Why does my PSPro Ultimate 2021 open now directly to the Edit page?  Not the Home screen?

Also it opened with a note that it needed updated so I said OK.  I even did a screenprint of the items that were to be new and the resolved issues.  It never completed the update.  I got error messages and then I checked for updates while the program was open to edit -- it said no updates available.  Anyone else get these messages?  Do I need to contact Corel?

I can't get my screen print to paste here but in my folder for PSP 2021 the Folders are empty.  Things like Brushes, Environment Maps, Gradients, Masks, Mixer pages, Palettes.   Shouldn't items have comein these folders with my program?

Mary, I will answer your great questions. Thank you for asking them as I am sure others might wonder the same thing.

I think what is happening is I hit the rectangle on my image and it made it go larger and showed my background around the image so it is all bigger on the page.

It happens to be too. Sometimes, if you click on the top of an image twice, by accident, it will maximize it. Look on the top right of your screen and you should see the icons to restore its size. Can you try that?

So in the PDF Manual for my 2021 Version I found on page 287 that there should be a dropper on the Text Toolbar to activate it — but none there.

There are different ways to grab a color. You can use the dropper tool that is showing in the Materials palette, you can choose the one in the Toolbar, or you can click on one of the swatches, either in the Materials palette, or the Text Toolbar and when you are on the COLOR tab, moving your cursor outside of the dialog window will turn it into a dropper tool that you can use to pick a color. I might just consider making a blog article on this. Thanks for the question.

Is there a way to merge just 3-4 layers so I can move them together??

Yes, you can. However, I would suggest that you LINK the layers instead. For that, click on one layer, hold the SHIFT key, click on the other layers you want linked, and then, click on the chain-link icon on top of the Layers palette. That will keep the layers separate.

I guess since I joined the Pixel Scrappers that first time it won’t allow me to download any of the sets on your Lesson Pages.

Unfortunately, I found out afterward that non-paying members can't always download complete kits. I thought you could, but I was wrong, which is too bad.

I have trouble with the scrapbooking taking the focus away from the photo.

In this Bootcamp, there is obviously a focus on playing with papers and elements, mostly to get to explore various tools and effects, however, scrapbooking does not have to be like that. You can go very minimalistic while still using the same techniques. Sue is one of our nature photographers, and she makes wonderful montages to showcase the photos. She rarely uses a ton of embellishments, because she really focuses on the photos (which are wonderful!)

Why does my PSPro Ultimate 2021 open now directly to the Edit page

It might just be the default setting. I personally set it to open in the Edit page because that is what I use 99% of the time, so it saves me one click. However, if you want to go to the Home page every time you open your PSP, you can change that. Go to File > Preferences > General Program Preferences click Tabs, on the left and you will get the option, on the right, to click on Set Welcome as default.

it said no updates available.

When you go to Help > About, what is the exact version number you have? If it is 23.1.0.27, it is the last version and no update is needed. If it starts with 23.0, then there is the first update you need to install. Somehow, the auto-update does not always work well, so you can go to the Corel page HERE, and download Update 1. Then, double-click on the exe file to run it. Beware that you will possibly lose your workspace customization, so it might be a good idea to save it, in File > Workspace > Save and give it a name so you can just reload it after any time you "lose" it.

in my folder for PSP 2021 the Folders are empty.  Things like Brushes, Environment Maps, Gradients, Masks, Mixer pages, Palettes.   Shouldn’t items have comein these folders with my program?

Yes and no. The folders in the Documents folder are meant for supplies YOU create. So if you create a custom brush, or a pattern or a picture tube, that is where they will be saved. When you install PSP the supplies that come with it are in a different section of your computer completely; they are in the Program Data folder.

Here is my third project - My husband's Butterfly garden at the lake.  While I'm busy with my woodturning at the cottage he is busy creating beautiful flower gardens.  The three pictures below are of one of his gardens (centre) and two of the flowers from last summer (left - Iris), right (allium).  The papers and elements all came from Pixel Scrapper (over the past year).  I didn't have a poem to add so I've not yet used the import text feature, but did use the History Palette to remove some of the drop shadows and replace them with thicker, blurrier (not sure if that is a word) versions on the flowers and the coloured butterflies.  I didn't add drop shadow to the lace butterfly on the dark background because it darkened it too much, but used a blurier version on the lace-on-green butterfly.  I like the different effects that the changes made and the opportunity to selectively remove some effects with the History palette.  Looking forward to Project 4.

Cassel you are so great to answer me so quickly!  I am retired Mathematics Instructor who also taught Power Point, Excel, Word and Access. So I get frustrated when I don't catch on to this program. I used to do rubber stamping but never scrapbooking.  You are a very good teacher - very patient.  Thanks!

I checked and my version is correct.  However, I paid for a 64 bit program and somehow I am using a 32 bit.  I had version 2019 at the mid 2018 and didn't use it.  Then the class I had paid to attend on it was cancelled due to Covid19 in 2020. So I got the upgrade for Christmas 2020 and am now trying to learn 2021 version.  Both versions are on my computer and both were paid to be 64 Bit. I guess I need to contact Corel.  I also am surprised that the 2021 version did not over write the 2019 version.

Mary, when you buy PSP, you get BOTH versions (32-bits and 64-bits). It is just a matter of the installation process. However, it can also depend on your system. If you have an older computer that is 32-bits, then the 64-bits will never install. If, on the other hand, your computer is a 64-bits, you would have to uninstall the current version you have and re-install it, while carefully selecting the option to install BOTH versions.

Each version of PSP is independent of each other, EVEN if you purchase the UPGRADE. I have versions 9 - 2021 installed on my computer and they play along very nicely :) Now that you have one PSP, NEVER buy a full version again; always choose the UPGRADE, from now on!

Try not to get frustrated. Those programs, now, are so complex that it is easy to miss a small detail that will make a tool not work or work in an odd way. When in doubt, ask. There is always the "Need help?" tab on the right, if you encounter a problem. That tab is a direct line to my inbox!

I am doing the Happy Dance!!!!  I finished.

I find the hardest thing doing these projects is NOT having the fun little extras in a tidy little folder for easy grabbing-- (sad face.)  It is a huge time eater just looking for all the things needed.

For instance: Instead of using stripped paper as Carole did, I hunted thru lots of pics on my computer and finally found a macro shot of a peacock feather. I found the star and glitter splatter and the gold thingy searching the internet and copy and pasting.  Then  I had to dig deep in my photo files to find 3 different pics of my kids with several years between.  They have always been a happy bunch and such good buds.  How do I print this project as it turned out pretty special.