BOOTCAMP - May 2020

Cassel

Hi everyone,  I have been using Paintshop for many years starting back in the early Jasc days but while I have blended/merged/masked photos and made collages etc I have little to no experience of Scrap booking apart from following a scrap tutorial from time to time, which I am sure is nothing like what this Bootcamp will be like.  I recently completed the Wise Words Challenge and enjoyed learning various ways to enhance text.  There is always something new to learn and with many folders of photos sitting idle on my pc I am looking forward to working with them and turning them into something meaningful.

Only one thing I have changed on my workspace is going back to the classic materials pallet thanks to Carole for that info.

I also used the snipping tool and found it useful ..but now I use Snip and Sketch which I think may be replacing the snipping tool - I can't remember if I had to download it or if it is included in Win10.  (Press Win logo+Shift+S) if it is by default there that will open it.

I hope to work on images from a visit to a small outback town in Australia called Gwalia... a young Herbert Hoover was the general manager of the mine there in the late 1800's.  It is  now called a living ghost town and there are old houses you can wander through.  The pics below are of Hoover house in early days (internet pic) and one I took a couple of years ago.

Good afternoon, it is 3pm in the UK and I felt a little peckish, so I made this club sandwich for my lunch, to have with a nice cuppa tea.  I had lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato and some meat put into layers of yummy bread so that each mouthful was a burst of flavour delighting my taste buds.  It gave me a nice boost, before I got ready to take my dog for her afternoon walk.

It seems that instead of copying one layer of the sandwich at a time, you can shorten the process as follows:

1. in the sandwich file, select all layers

2. Choose Edit > Copy Special >  Copy Merged

3. In the table file, select Edit > Paste As New Layer

This assumes you do your layer work (duplicate, move etc.) in the sandwich file.

Please see attached file for the 600 square version.

Notice when the file was saved using File > Save As menu, the transparency of the two plate file is removed. I saved as a JPG file.

Robert Sindt

Overland Park, KS

Afternoon snack - no pickles for me! and the handle of the cup turned to the right (as drilled into me by my mother!) with teaspoon and lace cloth.  I did have a small vase of flowers but decided to remove them.

Euka,

I checked out the Snip and Sketch tool. Seems it's an upgrade to the Snipping Tool. You just have to type Snip and Sketch into the search bar at the bottom of Windows 10. There is no charge for it. I don't know how much use I would have for the added features in Snip and Sketch but it might come in handy. Right now I just need the screen shots.

Thanks for the heads up

Lynda

Looking forward to another sunny day in England tomorrow so have produced my sandwich lunch in al fresco readiness. I set the table but made a mess on the tablecloth. I love my pickles. Londoners call them wallies.

Just seen I had hidden the onions. They are back again. See new image.

OK - I did learn more this time, although I had to keep the tutorial up and go over the transfer part more than once.  However, I did better than the last bootcamp as I added a tablecloth this time.  Couldn't figure out how to do a napkin so I left that off.  I did remember how to turn the handle of the cup to the right which is what I did last time.  I had a problem with the tablecloth, but did manage it at the last.  Whew!!  So here is my result.

Took me a while since I was busy today as I am at home in quarantine but doing work…LMAO. That said, I made a table background, created a placemat from the texture that PSP gives us by creating a layer and then selecting an area. I then Put the paint bucket in the middle of the selected area and just clicked it a few times to get it to the level where there was no opacity , gave some shadow as light never hits straight in most cases to plates, cup, utensils sandwich and amenities, plus in my household the silverware never goes straight. Made a napkin, did a little mesh and then added the pig from the tube section. Most of it on their own layer. I took the top bread and duplicated and changed the layer to multiply to give it a darker looking bread. Then I saved it as .jpg so I can upload. Well that is all I can remember……. enjoyed doing the lesson.

Ruth, glad to see you made it in. Looking forward to your projects. Are you going to have tea, coffee or something else in that cup?

Shirley, since your project is not one from the lessons in the Bootcamp, you might want to post it in the What are you working on? thread instead, so more people will see it. For the Bootcamp, try to stay a bit closer to the "lesson plans", simply so that newcomers could get inspired and recognize the projects and not wonder why their works don't resemble yours. It is also going to be easier for me to know which project (from the lessons) you are doing.

Euka, glad that you found the way to use the Classic Material palette. I personally just don't care for the new format. You have a cute little spoon for your coffee. I guess not everyone needed one!

Krystyna, I hope the tea was good as it is all gone now :)

Robert, you are quite right about the Copy merge, however, the exercise was to show how to move layers from one image to the other. Another detail about using the Copy merge is the fact that all those layers will be merged (obviously), which won't allow the user to manipulate the layers anymore. In scrapbooking, it can be an inconvenience as we like to keep layers separate to maintain that ability to change our minds. But in other contexts, yes, it is a great command, and I also use it often :) As for the transparency, it is always removed if you save in jpg format. If you save in PNG format, it will keep the transparency.

Cristina, you are going to make everyone envious of your lunch!

Lynda, very detailed sandwich and ingredients! that wood background definitely look like a picnic table.

Isabel, you also thought of turning the cup! That tablecloth is perfect for a picnic.

Fiona, with PSP, you can so easily customize that sandwich and have as many pickles as you want!

Glenson, how did you add the texture on your bread? It looks quite good and realistic.

Joan, you better be careful not to get your nice quilt dirty, like it happened to Fiona!

Mary, it is great that you learned something new and are now going to be more comfortable with the process.

Jose, those shadows really add dimensions. Although it was not part of the lesson (keeping it simple for the beginners), you seemed to have had fun with it and the result is great.

Cindy, you make me want to have those fries! I am glad you managed this project without cussing! :)

Sorry for the late night post.  I decided this would be my midnight snack.  I put my pickles on the side and took off the tomatoes.  I did add extra onion I can get away with this while we are on stay at home. I learned to drag one element from one image to another image super easy for me now.

Hi Cassel

You asked how I got the toast effect on my bread. Basically, using PSP 2020 I made a selection of the bread using the Magic Wand from the Toolbar. Seeing that this only selected the center of the bread, I expanded the selection by using Selection / Modify / Expand and added 10 pixels so that the whole of the bread was selected. I then added a new layer above the bread and chose the Airbrush from the Toolbar and set this to about maximum size. Choosing a mid brown colour, I tapped within the selection. I then changed to a darker colour and tapped again. I liked that effect.

I've been a digital artist for about six years using Corel Painter so I knew about layers and airbrushes.