Newsletter chitchat - September 17, 2024

Cassel

We are probably all crafty kinds of people but sometimes, some projects can take longer than we planned.

Did that ever happen to you? An afghan blanket that took you years to crochet? A quilt that just sat in a box for years?

A scrapbook album that is still not completed yet?

Don't be shy. I am sure we all have or had some projects that took years to complete.

Let's share.

On 9/18/2024 at 4:21 AM, Cassel said:

A scrapbook album that is still not completed yet?

Haha... I can relate to this!

I am looking for the proper template to display 6/7 photos and still cannot decide which way to go. Multiphotos template, Scrap in Grid Masterclass... the list is long. As I went through the folders to find one template I liked, I realized how many times I started documenting one trip and never finished.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My main hobby back in the 1980's was doing needle work projects like counted cross stitch or using plastic canvas and yarn. I did mostly counted cross stitch. I did a lot of birth samplers for the births of cousins' children or wedding samplers for friends. I got a magazine with patterns every month and they were usually quick and simple projects in series that were released over the span of several months. One of those series was for the 50 states. I made 3 of the Ohio (one for Mom, one for me, one for Grandpa). I made a Florida for Grandpa. Other states I made for gifts included Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Michigan. Then I got the bright idea to make each state and have a quilt made from them. My step-grandmother had done quilting and was willing to do it. So I started making the  states in 1990 and got 13 of them done. Then I left the job I had (it was a 2nd shift secretarial job in a hospital and during slow times the tech and I would cross-stitch). Then I went back to school and got a different job. No more time for this hobby. Then my step-grandmother passed away. So I left the idea of the quilt behind.

A couple weeks ago a scrapbooking designer friend kept posting about a cross stitch project she was doing and it got me interested in it again. So I dug my stuff out and found a sampler that was about half completed so I started working on it again. I also found that I had actually started my 14th state for the quilt and will work on it next. I do want to finish all 50 states and will have to figure out how to display them since I don't know anyone local that quilts. I was thinking of a wall hanging but I saw an idea yesterday in a cross stitch sub-reddit that really intrigues me. That person showcases projects they don't frame in a portfolio. So now I'm thinking of using a scrapbook for this project!

As for DIY stuff like your project, I don't do things like that!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Well, I and my husband have done many DIY projects in the almost 55 years since we met for the first time. Some of them took more time than we anticipated but nothing as long as your banisters did. I have done a lot of crafts but always finished my projects; it simply is against my nature not to do so. The only thing that I still want to do is scanning all the photos in our photo albums that are not digital, but that is a gigantic undertaking and somehow I can't get started on it. I say to myself; "yeah this coming winter I will!", but never get to do it; there are always more interesting things like scrapbooking that cry for my attention!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

My friend Ron and I have been wooden model builders for years. These models usually take several years to complete as we always have other family responsibilities that are more important than hobbies. Anyway in the case of this model of a Danish fishing trawler, Ron bought is over 10 years ago but never really got too far into it. Unfortunately Ron recently passed away and his family asked me if I wanted to finish the model. I agreed and have worked on it for the last seven months. It in now finished. I even renamed the boat in his honour. The sad part of this story is that now I will have to work on future projects without my lifelong friend. 

The nice part of being part of being a member of Scrapbook Campus is that I've learned how to create meaningful images of my DYI projects to share with family and friends. Although I do not use all the nice add-ons I see in many of the works of other members, I still enjoy seeing all your work as it motivates me to continue.

RonsKutter s.jpg

• Love 7

14 hours ago, Art Kuiper said:

My friend Ron and I have been wooden model builders for years. These models usually take several years to complete as we always have other family responsibilities that are more important than hobbies. Anyway in the case of this model of a Danish fishing trawler, Ron bought is over 10 years ago but never really got too far into it. Unfortunately Ron recently passed away and his family asked me if I wanted to finish the model. I agreed and have worked on it for the last seven months. It in now finished. I even renamed the boat in his honour. The sad part of this story is that now I will have to work on future projects without my lifelong friend. 

The nice part of being part of being a member of Scrapbook Campus is that I've learned how to create meaningful images of my DYI projects to share with family and friends. Although I do not use all the nice add-ons I see in many of the works of other members, I still enjoy seeing all your work as it motivates me to continue.

RonsKutter s.jpg

Art sorry to hear this and good to see that you had the courage to finish his model boat. My husband has made some too but don't want to start on a new one because he is afraid that he never will finish it in the rest of his lifetime. By the way it is nice seeing you here again!

• Love 4

Thank you for your nice thoughts regarding the model I finished for my friend Ron. The work had a spiritual element to it. And it reminded me of the time last year when I was visiting my granddaughter in Victoria BC. We went to Butchart Gardens during tulip time and I was super lucky to get this picture of the fountain. All the nozzles in the fountain are constantly moving and I have lots of nice ordinary pictures of it. But this one must have been created with the help of my guardian angel. Sometimes we just get lucky and get a great image. 

Fountain Angel 2.jpg

• Love 5

4 hours ago, Art Kuiper said:

Thank you for your nice thoughts regarding the model I finished for my friend Ron. The work had a spiritual element to it. And it reminded me of the time last year when I was visiting my granddaughter in Victoria BC. We went to Butchart Gardens during tulip time and I was super lucky to get this picture of the fountain. All the nozzles in the fountain are constantly moving and I have lots of nice ordinary pictures of it. But this one must have been created with the help of my guardian angel. Sometimes we just get lucky and get a great image. 

Fountain Angel 2.jpg

That is amazing, once in a lifetime photo, and I got goosebumps reading your post.  

• Like 4