Newsletter chitchat - September 3rd, 2024

Cassel

I am an adrenaline junkie who never had an opportunity to do any of those things. By the time I could afford those activities, I was a single mom and didn't think it would be responsible to do so. I probably wouldn't skydive at my age, which I always wanted to do. However, if given the chance, I would definitely go ziplining. Besides roller coasters (I love heights) and other rides, the most exciting thing I've done is white water rafting. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Hey, Michele! I've always wanted to skydive. Want to go skydiving together?

I plan to go ziplining in March when I attend a pickleball clinic in Costa Rico. Looking forward to it. 

I use to race cars way long ago. It was a race called autocrossing. We used pylons to mark the course and we raced mostly in shopping center parking lots. Races were on Sunday when the centers were closed (blue laws). Totally legal with the shopping center's permission. We raced against the clock, one car at a time. I once held a national drag race record...drag strip, one car at a time, against the clock. I also raced at Summit Point, a road course, right and left turns, hairpin turns, etc. Again, one car at the time against the clock. I had the fastest time of the day once.

I also went to I Fly...you may have seen my layouts about that adventure. I would love to go again.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Hey, Michele! I've always wanted to skydive. Want to go skydiving together?

I plan to go ziplining in March when I attend a pickleball clinic in Costa Rico. Looking forward to it. 

I use to race cars way long ago. It was a race called autocrossing. We used pylons to mark the course and we raced mostly in shopping center parking lots. Races were on Sunday when the centers were closed (blue laws). Totally legal with the shopping center's permission. We raced against the clock, one car at a time. I once held a national drag race record...drag strip, one car at a time, against the clock. I also raced at Summit Point, a road course, right and left turns, hairpin turns, etc. Again, one car at the time against the clock. I had the fastest time of the day once.

I also went to I Fly...you may have seen my layouts about that adventure. I would love to go again.

I'm in. Skydiving and IFlying for us!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

I have always wanted to do the zip line adventure.  Any time we were somewhere I could do that I didn't because of my Hubby.  He has a real problem withe heighths and would have been a nervous wreck by the time I got back down.  On one of our jobs there were lights to be changed way up high.  There was a old but safe wooden ladder we had to use (it shook a little).  I would go up to change the lights and it was his job to hold the ladder and sweat for me.  Other than  some of the crazy things I did with my horse over the years, I have never done anything particularly adventurous. 

• Like 5

I love heights, but l[ving in the Netherlands which is flat there wasn't much of an opportunity to do anything that adventurous. But whenever visiting in Switzerland I loved to take the cable cars or chairlifts that are crossing a deep valley below. I have never come across the chance to do ziplining, but I think I will love it. A helicopter ride and hot air balloon are the most adventurous I did. Some steep mountain trails in my younger years as well and that is it!

• Like 4

How fortunate the timing of your last Scrapbook email. It arrived just a day before the episode with the Miramichi zip-line was aired here. We watched it last night and it sure looks like a beautiful location. Now I have another thing to put on my bucket list; to go zip-lining and visit more of New Brunswick. I was in New Brunswick as a teenager. I was an Air Cadet and learned to fly at Saint John Airport. Then for my solo cross-country flight I was sent to fly from Saint John to Moncton to Frederickton and back to Saint John. I saw a lot of trees from the air but I didn't really see much else. So a future trip to see it from the ground is in order.  

• Like 2
  • WOW 1

17 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I love heights, but l[ving in the Netherlands which is flat there wasn't much of an opportunity to do anything that adventurous. But whenever visiting in Switzerland I loved to take the cable cars or chairlifts that are crossing a deep valley below. I have never come across the chance to do ziplining, but I think I will love it. A helicopter ride and hot air balloon are the most adventurous I did. Some steep mountain trails in my younger years as well and that is it!

Oh, yeah, I forgot I've been in helicopters. A company I worked for on Long Island, NY had a subsidiary in CT. They also owned a couple of helicopters so when I had to go to CT, they flew me there. It was pretty cool.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Michele said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot I've been in helicopters. A company I worked for on Long Island, NY had a subsidiary in CT. They also owned a couple of helicopters so when I had to go to CT, they flew me there. It was pretty cool.

This also reminds me of a helicopter ride in Branson Mo.  It was before we realized how bad my Hubby's phobia was.  It was just a short ride to look at the dam. Hubby hung on to his seat with on hand and the back of the pilot's chair with the other.  I swear he probably left permanent marks in them.  I teased him when we landed saying that don't you know if the copter goes down those seat are going down too. 

• Haha 2

Does driving a motorcycle (Harley) for years qualify as risky? Some say so, but I was properly trained and always behaved as if I were invisible to other traffic, which most bikes are! Other drivers just don't see us. Cruising along the back roads and through beautiful scenery was enough adrenaline rush for me.

I also wanted to skydive back when I was young, but I would feel OK with ziplining now.  Bungee jumping? Not so much.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

With all this talk about flights in helicopters, how about a sharing some of the photos you took during those flights, if any. Here is one of mine.

Our most memorable flight was over Mt Saint Helens in 2005. This was 25 years after its major eruption. I found some images online to show what it looked like before and after. Then I added my photo from the helicopter flight over the valley. It was wonderful to see how much had been restored by Mother Nature. We even saw some deer wandering near the river. Life goes on.

Mount St Helens s.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 9/5/2024 at 2:59 PM, Art Kuiper said:

With all this talk about flights in helicopters, how about a sharing some of the photos you took during those flights, if any. Here is one of mine.

Our most memorable flight was over Mt Saint Helens in 2005. This was 25 years after its major eruption. I found some images online to show what it looked like before and after. Then I added my photo from the helicopter flight over the valley. It was wonderful to see how much had been restored by Mother Nature. We even saw some deer wandering near the river. Life goes on.

Mount St Helens s.jpg

I remember that eruption very clearly. Even in SW Ontario we had adverse weather effects for that summer. Happy to see that Mother Nature is restoring the area. 🥰

• Like 2