Suggestions for the webinar platform

Cassel

WebinarNinja, the platform we have been using for the last 6 years, has recently changed ownership. I didn't know that until just a couple of weeks ago. 

While new "owners" are in the picture, it might be a great time to offer some suggestions to improve the platform and the experience of both the hosts and attendees. So far, I have suggested a few ideas, but maybe you have others? Maybe you have seen some neat features somewhere else?

Here are some suggestions I have offered:

• collapsible chat or full-screen viewing
  • ability to log in more than 10 minutes before the class (so I won't have to set it to 'start' 15 minutes before the real start)
  • ability to format the email notifications with images (so it can show which webinar you are registered for when you get notifications)

Are there others?

Of course, there is never any guarantee that the suggestions would be implemented, but if they don't know what we want, they can't add those features!

• Like 1

What I really liked about go-to-meeting was the chat could be a pop out window. With my 2 screens, I would put the chat on one screen which left the other screen for only the working space of the designer on full screen. Even though she used photoshop, I could see enough to figure out how to do the same thing in PSP. She has left that store and gone to another one so she is now using YouTube live for her sessions. You can go full screen on it but you lose all chat abilities when you do. She's only had one session on YouTube so it was a learning experience for her along with the attendees. One thing about YouTube is that only moderators of the channel can post links in the chat. The person that always monitored her chat and posted links wasn't able to do it since she hadn't been given mod privileges. Which is actually a good thing since it keeps the spam out of the live chat.

With YouTube, a live chat can be scheduled and the attendees can jump in anytime they want, even hours before. Then when the presenter actually starts the session, the video starts. One person I follow has a session scheduled for tonight... it shows 1 person already waiting for it.

• Like 2

I never thought of a popup chat. Since I don't use two screens, it never occurred to me. I will definitely forward that suggestion. You are surely not the only one using two screens!

• Like 2

Honestly, Carole you should consider 2 screens. Once you try it, you'll wonder how you ever managed without!

When I worked, I did a lot of spreadsheet work along with the accounting program. I was always having to minimize/maximize windows on a 19" screen. Once I got the 2nd screen (both 19"), my workflow became much faster. One of my tasks I actually worked with 3 different spreadsheets at the same time. I could have one on 3/4 of the left screen (left side of screen), another on 3/4 of the right screen (right side of screen) and the 3rd in the 1/4 of each screen across the middle.

I have a cousin that when she worked for Marathon Oil, she had 4 screens... 2 on the bottom and 2 on top of them. She said once that the majority of the employees in headquarters had a least 3 screens and there were a few that had 6!

Cheryl, the gal that does the scrapping videos has dual screens and she could check out the chat in go-to-meeting on the 2nd screen if she wanted.

I've had 1 screens for so long that I know I would not be able to function if I had only 1!

• Like 2

I tried it because I have a TV beside that I have used as a second screen for my work, however, my current computer does not seem compatible with dual screens. That might be something to consider when I get a new computer, sometime in the future. Maybe I can recheck though, when I have a chance just to make sure.

• Like 1

I'd like a view that is bigger, almost full screen, full enough but able to see the chat at the same time.  I had previously talked with Rene about 2 screens and watched my husband as he also works with very large spreadsheets.  he said the same thing, his work flow increase.  I just learned from Rene when she recently mentioned she can drag right to the layers palette, so I tried it and it works and keeps the file name.  That was so cool.  I work with 2 screens now and like my hubby and Rene, would have a hard time going back to one.  

I'm fine with coming in early, maybe 15- 20 minutes so we can chat more.

I really like the idea of the graphic of the class we are doing.  

I hope the transition to the new company is seamless for you.  

Oh, the one thing is when members cant get logged on. I don't know if that's a matter of individual's  computer settings (full browser cache etc) of if Webinar Ninja can change anything to make it easier to log into.  

• Like 1

@Susan Ewart I'm so glad that you have tried the dual screens! Certainly makes a difference in many ways. Right now I'm checking on some of the forums I frequent on one screen and have a YouTube live stream on the other screen.

They have also come in handy when I'm watching a video of one of the campus tutorials. I can have PSP open on the other screen and work right along with the video, stopping and/or going back when needed.

Carole, my 2 screens actually connect 2 different ways since there is only one monitor connection on the motherboard. One is the regular monitor connector, the other one uses a HDMI connection cord. I do have 2 monitors that are the same brand and size bought at the same time. Found them on Amazon right before Christmas 2022 for $96 each.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rene Marker said:

Carole, my 2 screens actually connect 2 different ways since there is only one monitor connection on the motherboard. One is the regular monitor connector, the other one uses a HDMI connection cord. I do have 2 monitors that are the same brand and size bought at the same time. Found them on Amazon right before Christmas 2022 for $96 each.

I might recheck, when I have a chance. Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

@Susan Ewart I'm so glad that you have tried the dual screens! Certainly makes a difference in many ways. Right now I'm checking on some of the forums I frequent on one screen and have a YouTube live stream on the other screen.

They have also come in handy when I'm watching a video of one of the campus tutorials. I can have PSP open on the other screen and work right along with the video, stopping and/or going back when needed.

I do the very same with the tutorials on screen and PSP on the other.  I used to have a laptop running the tuts and PSP on the desk top.  this is more convenient now.  

I have only 1 screen on my big laptop and I can connect a separate screen but on my desk in our "computer room" as we call it, there is no space for a 2nd screen. Besides that, with my bad eyesight it probably won't work for me because when a screen gets bigger I can't see it as a whole and miss the overview. I use my Ipad if I want to follow a tutorial and work on my laptop. For me that's okay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'd like a view that is bigger, almost full screen, full enough but able to see the chat at the same time.  I had previously talked with Rene about 2 screens and watched my husband as he also works with very large spreadsheets.  he said the same thing, his work flow increase.  I just learned from Rene when she recently mentioned she can drag right to the layers palette, so I tried it and it works and keeps the file name.  That was so cool.  I work with 2 screens now and like my hubby and Rene, would have a hard time going back to one.  

I'm fine with coming in early, maybe 15- 20 minutes so we can chat more.

I really like the idea of the graphic of the class we are doing.  

I hope the transition to the new company is seamless for you.  

Oh, the one thing is when members cant get logged on. I don't know if that's a matter of individual's  computer settings (full browser cache etc) of if Webinar Ninja can change anything to make it easier to log into.  

I agree with you, but I personally haven't had any problems to log in, maybe it is in their computer settings or the network they are using. When the internetconnection is overloaded it can give issues too. Here at home we have a superfast connection and all our electricity- and internetcables are underground and we rarely have a fault. My family in California lives in Silicon Valley and there the electricity is frequently down which is a nightmare if you are working from home!

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

46 minutes ago, Donna Sillia said:

I would like information on the settings to use on Firefox, Edge and Chrome so that the webinar will work on my computer. 

I don't know that you could pin down settings for each of those browsers. It doesn't work for me on Edge but for others it does. It works fine for me on Chrome but others have issues. I don't use Firefox so have no idea if it would work for me.

Edge and Chrome are built on the same underlying structure (aka Chromium) so why they work or don't work is perplexing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I don't know that you could pin down settings for each of those browsers. It doesn't work for me on Edge but for others it does. It works fine for me on Chrome but others have issues. I don't use Firefox so have no idea if it would work for me.

Edge and Chrome are built on the same underlying structure (aka Chromium) so why they work or don't work is perplexing.

I use Chrome and only clear my cache when PSP say so or works strangely. I have never had any issues and that goes for Edge too. I have installed them and they are good to go. But I know it has also to do with the network you're using and the up- and download speed of that network.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I use Chrome and only clear my cache when PSP say so or works strangely. I have never had any issues and that goes for Edge too. I have installed them and they are good to go. But I know it has also to do with the network you're using and the up- and download speed of that network.

I have a very good up and download speed. It is so perplexing that it will work on one browser with the same base coding (Chromium) as the other one that it doesn't work on. Believe me I would prefer to use Edge for the webinars but it just doesn't work for me no matter what. Edge uses less resources on my computer than Chrome which is why I switched to it. 

• Like 1