Newsletter chitchat - July 30th, 2024

Cassel

Various areas in the world might have some very specific wildlife that is not found elsewhere.

What would your area/neighbourhood be known for?

Do you have some exclusive species in your neighbourhood?

Share the stories and pictures if you can.

Living on an island, we have many shorebirds and seabirds. On the beach, you can see various crabs, sea turtles, and even sea life like dolphins if you go out on the water!  Both the north and south shores of Long Island have their own unique features.

I've seen a few rabbits near my house which pleasantly surprised me. We have pigeons and squirrels, of course, and I love hearing the songbirds in the early morning hours.

For other wildlife, you would have to go to the less-populated areas. Then you'll see deer, foxes, opossums, and many other critters.

Below is the squirrel that likes to hang out on top of my a/c. Maybe he's hiding nuts in there? (That's the best pic I could get shooting through the window with its reflections and through the screen.)

image.jpeg.fd0696363e1631d01eeb7d53e2a510ca.jpeg

Edited by Michele
  • Like 2

I think the most surprising to me is the flocks of Canada geese and the flocks of black vultures that hang about on the roof here in the city of Middletown. I do see white-tailed deer, skunks, groundhogs, chipmunks, many songbirds and woodpeckers, and our community cats. 

P52-2024-WEEK 24-JUNE 16-CANADA GEESE_600.jpg

VULTURES ON THE ROOF.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • WOW 2

I've had moose and coyotes run down the middle of the street where I live.  But they are common here.  We get pelicans too, more so in Edmonton than in St. Albert where I am, and not as much as Saskatchewan gets.

4 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I think the most surprising to me is the flocks of Canada geese and the flocks of black vultures that hang about on the roof here in the city of Middletown. I do see white-tailed deer, skunks, groundhogs, chipmunks, many songbirds and woodpeckers, and our community cats. 

P52-2024-WEEK 24-JUNE 16-CANADA GEESE_600.jpg

VULTURES ON THE ROOF.jpg

The vultures would definitely give me the willies!

• Haha 1

We pretty much showcase almost ALL wildlife as the seasons change but there are a few that have encroached from elsewhere.  I'm good with the DILLOS....lets just keep the Killer African Bees and other dangerous critters that have been moving northward...AWAY from our borders.

unusual.jpg

• Haha 1
  • WOW 1

We have bank swallows too in the Netherlands; here it are migratory birds and they arrive in Spring from North Africa's Sahel region. We even have a saying that one swallow doesn't make Spring. They nestle on riverbanks or even sand piles on building sites where the builders aren't happy with them because they are a protected species. Because their numbers went down and there weren't enough places for them to nestle any longer artificial walls were build along rivers or lakes. They needs places with plenty of water where they can find small insects to feed their youngsters. In Etten-Leur, the place where I live we have such a wall, like the one in the photo and it is a great succes. It it a sheltered place where the public can't disturb them, but you can see it from a distance and of course you can see the birds flying around. The track from where you can see it is too far away to take good photos and there is a lot of greenery obscuring the view.

Oeverzwaluwwand.jpg

Edited by Corrie Kinkel
  • Like 2