July FONT Challenge (2024)

Cassel

Palette-Challenge.jpg

Fonts can offer some fun dingbats and for the summer, how about some summer elements? Seashells, sunshine, beach elements, etc.

You can get this free font HERE.

Font-July2024-Down-by-the-sea.jpg

Of course, you won't write with them but you can use them to decorate tags, backgrounds, frames, etc.

What will you do with this free font?

• Thanks 1

I used a photo I took of Ffion one of my granddaughters at the beach when I was home last.  They live in Cornwall.  I used a mask from one of the calendar challenges.  I used the Dolphin and  one of the shells from the font to create  the tag, and text on a path on the dolphin. I filled the word Cornwall with water, sand and seashells.  The bow is  Carole's bow 3 script.  It's not the easiest of dingbats to work with.  Although it is a fun beach font.

Font challenge.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 12

I haven't many photos of the beach, we like it better inland. In summer the beaches at our North Sea coast are packed with people. When we are going to the beach it is in winter to take a stroll along the waterline. My grandkids lived in Switzerland before the family moved to the States. My oldest granddaughter is adventurous and visited us for the first time on her own when she was 7! Of course minors have to be accompanied by airline staff and my daughter brought her to the airport and I met her on arrival, I had to sign a paper that I had collected her and my passport had to be checked etc. But there she was and she stayed a week. One of the days we went to show her a beach, she only knew lakes at home. Now the family goes to the pacific coast and I have been there as well, but she hasn't forgotten her first sight of the sea. I used several fonts: the jelly fish for the frame, the seagulls and 2 shells. I only wanted to use the dingbats that represent what can be found on our shores. The background is made with a couple of papers with different blendmodes and opacities until I got something I can live with. The mask is by Jessica Dunn from Into the Wild and the font is Vallentina

FontChallenge-July2024-600.jpg

• Love 11

On 7/29/2024 at 2:59 AM, Sue Thomas said:

I used a photo I took of Ffion one of my granddaughters at the beach when I was home last.  They live in Cornwall.  I used a mask from one of the calendar challenges.  I used the Dolphin and  one of the shells from the font to create  the tag, and text on a path on the dolphin. I filled the word Cornwall with water, sand and seashells.  The bow is  Carole's bow 3 script.  It's not the easiest of dingbats to work with.  Although it is a fun beach font.

Font challenge.jpg

I agree the font isn't easy, it took me a while to find a way to use it. You have made such a lovey layout with it and I didn't want to use the same dingbats in the same way, so I had to come up with something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I agree the font isn't easy, it took me a while to find a way to use it. You have made such a lovey layout with it and I didn't want to use the same dingbats in the same way, so I had to come up with something else.

We have one similarity, in that we both used one of our granddaughters.  I had thought to create a frame in my usual way of using dingbats on my frames, but there wasn't anything that suited. Hence the mask. Either way I thought you created a lovely page.  I would have liked you to have  used  the same dingbats to see how you would  have used them.   It was a challenge for us. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

We have one similarity, in that we both used one of our granddaughters.  I had thought to create a frame in my usual way of using dingbats on my frames, but there wasn't anything that suited. Hence the mask. Either way I thought you created a lovely page.  I would have liked you to have  used  the same dingbats to see how you would  have used them.   It was a challenge for us. 

There will be opportunities enough for us where we use similar things, we tend to think along the same lines in many cases.😉

• Like 1

I went in a totally different direction with this.  I got to playing with some of the dingbat letters to see what they would look like extracted from different papers.  Then I decided I would like to know what each letter looked like.  One thing led to another. Well you know how that goes. LOL  I did not put any shadows on anything, but I did make the page of dingbats darker to show up better.  I also posted this pick on the facebook page  in a larger file. 

kr down by the sea font examples with photo 6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

I went in a totally different direction with this.  I got to playing with some of the dingbat letters to see what they would look like extracted from different papers.  Then I decided I would like to know what each letter looked like.  One thing led to another. Well you know how that goes. LOL  I did not put any shadows on anything, but I did make the page of dingbats darker to show up better.  I also posted this pick on the facebook page  in a larger file. 

You made a nice reference page for those dingbats, very handy if you should want to use for something else in the future. If you don't mind I'll take a screenshot, so thanks 🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Anyone who wants to have a cheat sheet for dingbats can check this article.

The only font cheat sheets I have are the ones that you create for your special fonts, which I have printed off. Sometimes I use them. Although I tend to use Character map or fontiary to view and choose  the dingbats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

I used to do that so I could better see the dingbats, but I didn't save them. Character Map is usually too small for me to see. I now have a few free font viewers that make it much easier for me.

• Like 2

• Cassel unpinned this topic