July ALL ABOUT ME Challenge (2024) - School

Cassel

AAM-Challenge.jpg

Let's continue this new challenge. We might be the ones taking pictures but we are not the feature of our layouts, so let's change that since we ARE important and have lots to say.

Every month or so, the layout will be about YOU, and a prompt will be given. If you have taken the Story Week Challenge, you will find some similarities but it won't be the same.

For the July layout, tell us something about your school or school years. Do you have school photos? Do you have photos of your school? Do you have stories of things that happened at school, with other students, with teachers? Let's share. It might be a trip down memory lane for most of us!

Remember that if you want to create pages for previous prompts, those threads will stay open. There is no right or wrong order to share about you.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

WOW Ann you did this rather late in your live and it shows we are never to old to learn something new! Did you take this for your work with your family's open air movie theater?

Thank you, Corrie. I had always wanted to go to college but didn't get there until we sold the drive-in theaters. The degree was for advertising and publishing which was my first love. I'm still working those skills with the marketing and advertising for the theater to this day.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 7/14/2024 at 8:01 PM, Michele said:

I'm trying to make myself do something every day. Here's today's try. Can you guess what year I graduated?

large.AllAboutMeSchool600.jpg.8f7db8eb6d6a58e7a18997b918196837.jpg

Possibly the late '70's or early 80's.  This is a really nice layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Thank you, Corrie. I had always wanted to go to college but didn't get there until we sold the drive-in theaters. The degree was for advertising and publishing which was my first love. I'm still working those skills with the marketing and advertising for the theater to this day.

that's fascinating Ann.  And really inspiring.  

• Like 3

On 7/15/2024 at 4:01 AM, Michele said:

I'm trying to make myself do something every day. Here's today's try. Can you guess what year I graduated?

large.AllAboutMeSchool600.jpg.8f7db8eb6d6a58e7a18997b918196837.jpg

I'll hazard a guess too. You said you were one of the stoners and if you mean by that your were a fan of the Rolling Stones...... it could be the mid to end sixtieth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This topic certainly was a trip down memory lane! It is a long time ago that I thought about my schoolyears. Surprisingly I have no memories at all about kindergarten, no photos to trigger my memory, no! Elementary however is different story. At the time I was 6  there still was a great shortish of schoolbuildings in Rotterdam in the after match of WWII and a gigantic babyboom. We lived in an area where a new school just opened its doors and it was a huge building at least for that time. It had 2 floors with grades 1,2 and 3 on the first floor and 4,5 and 6 on the second. Each grade had 2 or 3 classes with over 40 children! I was a tall and shy girl and was always placed on the backrow. I was a good student and hardly noticed by the teachers, which was fine by me! Because the school was offering after school music lessons my parents enrolled me in the course. We learned the music notations, about rhythm, instruments, practiced singing etc. The first instrument that everybody had to learn to play was a  flute (recorder). I have very fond memories of those music years. When I was looking on Maps I found out, to my utmost surprise, that the building still existed and it still is a school! The only difference on the outside is that in my days there weren't sunshades.

For my layout I used Carole's music sheet freebie and a stitch brush. The font is 212 music, the music staff and notes are by Janet Scott, the mask by Jessica Dunn, the flute from the internet and the metronome is a picture tube. I made the 2 wooden brads with woodburning effect.

AAM-Muziekschool--600.jpg

• Love 9

7 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'll hazard a guess too. You said you were one of the stoners and if you mean by that your were a fan of the Rolling Stones...... it could be the mid to end sixtieth!

Stoner has a different meaning than being a fan of the Rolling Stones. Back then it meant we smoked pot.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

When I saw this prompt about school, I thought oh-oh, not many pix available. I have spent my life avoiding being in front of the camera; hence there are not that many pix around, especially in those days when no one was carrying a camera around 24/7. We didn't have such a thing as Grade 8 graduation; I think I missed high school graduation (after Grade 13), and I also passed on both university ceremonies too. I was a pretty good student overall (it was expected at home). I was also into sports, but very traditional ones such as basketball and volleyball, track, etc. We didn't have a pool or tennis courts, or archery and fencing.

You need to know that the village where I grew up was small, as well as the schools there. The peak population of the high school was about 200 students, but we put out some great teams over the years and brought home lots of trophies and other awards. So I finally found a photo (from the newspaper back then which is not great quality) of me in sports. I am No. 22 in the back row. Our school colours were green & white. The high school was torn down 🤔 in 1980.

2024 Jul About Me vball.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Love 8

15 hours ago, Michele said:

Stoner has a different meaning than being a fan of the Rolling Stones. Back then it meant we smoked pot.

I see, but that is a how it works when you use a foreign language. However well you do it there are always those little details!!!!!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

When I saw this prompt about school, I thought oh-oh, not many pix available. I have spent my life avoiding being in front of the camera; hence there are not that many pix around, especially in those days when no one was carrying a camera around 24/7. We didn't have such a thing as Grade 8 graduation; I think I missed high school graduation (after Grade 13), and I also passed on both university ceremonies too. I was a pretty good student overall (it was expected at home). I was also into sports, but very traditional ones such as basketball and volleyball, track, etc. We didn't have a pool or tennis courts, or archery and fencing.

You need to know that the village where I grew up was small, as well as the schools there. The peak population of the high school was about 200 students, but we put out some great teams over the years and brought home lots of trophies and other awards. So I finally found a photo (from the newspaper back then which is not great quality) of me in sports. I am No. 22 in the back row. Our school colours were green & white. The high school was torn down 🤔 in 1980.

2024 Jul About Me vball.jpg

This is great, I love the contrast of the black and white.  I gives the feeling of long ago.  You are tall, how lucky !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is great, I love the contrast of the black and white.  I gives the feeling of long ago.  You are tall, how lucky !

I got tall around age 12, grew some more, and almost made it to 6', but not quite. I think now I am going the other way?

And, it IS long ago!

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There aren't many pix of me at any school, but I have lots of images of the village where I grew up b/c I research and write about it in history articles.

Schools were so important in rural areas. Even the simplest and less fortunate families wanted their children to be better educated than they were. Our village got a beautiful new Continuation School (up to Grade 10) in 1909. It was a serious blow when that burned down in 1942, leaving teachers and pupils with no where to go. A new public school was built in less than two years, but the upper grades (to Grade 13) had to make do for SEVEN YEARS with classes in a rundown hotel. There are so many stories from those years!

It was a major achievement by and for that village to get a district high school approved and opened in late 1949. It was equally heartbreaking when it was closed and then demolished. No more high school there since then. Students are bused to other area secondary schools.

Merlin schools layout.jpg

• Sad 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

There aren't many pix of me at any school, but I have lots of images of the village where I grew up b/c I research and write about it in history articles.

Schools were so important in rural areas. Even the simplest and less fortunate families wanted their children to be better educated than they were. Our village got a beautiful new Continuation School (up to Grade 10) in 1909. It was a serious blow when that burned down in 1942, leaving teachers and pupils with no where to go. A new public school was built in less than two years, but the upper grades (to Grade 13) had to make do for SEVEN YEARS with classes in a rundown hotel. There are so many stories from those years!

It was a major achievement by and for that village to get a district high school approved and opened in late 1949. It was equally heartbreaking when it was closed and then demolished. No more high school there since then. Students are bused to other area secondary schools.

Merlin schools layout.jpg

Julie it is so nice to be able to document the history of your village and old photos are a big part of it and make it more "real" for those who read the stories. My husband has been doing this for the small village he grew up in. A village of about 600 people and there were 4 bakeries, a grocery store, 2 elementary schools, 2 churches, a butcher, a bus service and later a garage with a petrol station. Now there live ca 1200 people and there is nothing , not even a bus!

• Like 3
  • Love 1