June 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

This photo sums up the week we had, rain, more rain, heavy rain, a downpour, drizzle, showers (always when I'm out and about!). All this can last a full day and when we were lucky there has been a few dry spells too. On the bright side of this most plants look lush and green, but the bigger flowers droop. Everywhere there are broken branches from the trees and leaves are flying around or lie in the gutter. The forecast for the coming week gives a couple of dry days with high temperatures; we go from 17C to 28C in three days.................. Hopefully July will turn out better, the school holidays are starting.

WEEK-25-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 3

Although I curse out the mess underfoot that the Canada Geese leave under my dead cherry tree, now that they've migrated, I miss them. This was last week and now they're all gone for the summer.

P52-2024-WEEK 24-JUNE 16-CANADA GEESE_600.jpg

• Love 4

6 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Although I curse out the mess underfoot that the Canada Geese leave under my dead cherry tree, now that they've migrated, I miss them. This was last week and now they're all gone for the summer.

P52-2024-WEEK 24-JUNE 16-CANADA GEESE_600.jpg

I told that we have those geese as well and that they are becoming a pest because many of them don't migrate any longer and are staying permanently now. This morning I read in the newspaper that there had been an accident with a truck on the highway in my region. The truck wanted to swerve to avoid a family of geese that were crossing that very busy highway and the truck felled on its side along the road! The road was closed for several hours to clean up because a lot of the cargo and some oil had been spilled.

• WOW 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Chippie considers him/herself quite photogenic!

CHIPPIE WEEK 25_600.jpg

OMG!  I love Chippie. He/She is the most photogenic chipmunk I ever did see.  I gotta tell you, nature is one emotional up and down.  Today I went grocery shopping and came out of my detached garage (when I got home) and saw a magpie feather.  I was so happy, I bent down to pick it up and saw right behind the back wheel of the travel trailer was a squirrel tail...and nothing else.  I was sad.  Neighbours kitty is a bad boy.

• Sad 2

Week 24, I hope it's not a bore and it leaves you wanting more.  (that's is for rhyming Sunday)

Can you believe I even found a gradient that mimics the cup.  I've always liked this cup, it's a keeper.  I used the slipped in effect.  I sure like it. Carole, how do you come up with this stuff?  I hope you keep it up.  And I also used a texture on it, and the frame outline and the 2024 text.  

P52 Wk24 - 10 Diamonds-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 4

On 6/24/2024 at 5:19 AM, Susan Ewart said:

Week 24, I hope it's not a bore and it leaves you wanting more.  (that's is for rhyming Sunday)

Can you believe I even found a gradient that mimics the cup.  I've always liked this cup, it's a keeper.  I used the slipped in effect.  I sure like it. Carole, how do you come up with this stuff?  I hope you keep it up.  And I also used a texture on it, and the frame outline and the 2024 text.  

P52 Wk24 - 10 Diamonds-600.jpg

Susan I didn't pay much attention on P52 this week, so I only see your week-24 now. I love that cup and its colors and indeed you were lucky to find that matching gradient, otherwise you had to make it yourself and that can take some time until you get what you envisaged!

• Like 1

Week-26, we are already half way through 2024. Where is the time gone, or do I sound a bit old now.......

After all the rain of the last weeks this week the sun did its utmost best to let us forget that and not only we but the plants enjoyed it too. I have taken the opportunity to shoot a lot of photos from the plants on my small patio. The gardencenter we usually visit often has a rack with small free plants that are no longer good enough to sell but if you take care of them they most of the time perform later on. This petunia was looking dreary and didn't like all the rain but, look what a couple of warm, sunny days did to it. 

WEEK-26-600.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Week-26, we are already half way through 2024. Where is the time gone, or do I sound a bit old now.......

After all the rain of the last weeks this week the sun did its utmost best to let us forget that and not only we but the plants enjoyed it too. I have taken the opportunity to shoot a lot of photos from the plants on my small patio. The gardencenter we usually visit often has a rack with small free plants that are no longer good enough to sell but if you take care of them they most of the time perform later on. This petunia was looking dreary and didn't like all the rain but, look what a couple of warm, sunny days did to it. 

WEEK-26-600.jpg

That's fabulous Corrie.  There is so much variations in the color and the veining looks so cool.  Petunias remind me of my mom, she always had them.  

• Thanks 1

Week 26 - I had a surprise visitor. On June 25th, the rescue came, and we managed to trap 4 of my outside cats so they could be vet checked, neutered and vaccinated. Among them was the young, female tortoiseshell I call Brandy. I had hoped to get her as she is too thin and young to be out on her own. When the rescue evaluated her, they decided to put her in foster care as she seems to be a good candidate to become a house-pet.  The other 3 (all males) were returned to me on June 27th and when released scattered to the far winds! Hopefully, I opened the door early the following morning, to see if any of the returned crew would show up for breakfast. And there was the big black male I called Batman and also little female tortoiseshell Brandy! Say, what?? Did she escape? Turns out, Brandy has a doppelganger... Truly identical twin... I may have been feeding both all along and not realized there were two!! Actually, I am really pleased as I was fond of Brandy and don't feel like I've lost her to foster. Her sister is a very good replacement. We won't be trapping again for a while based on 1) not triggering the cats so soon after the last go round and 2) the vet is at the local Animal Rights Alliance (T.A.R.A.) and will only take 6 at a time and we have to get in line for appointments. My feature this week is Brandy - Number 2.

P52-WEEK 26 -JUNE 30-BRANDY'S TWIN_600.jpg

• Love 3

2 hours ago, Sharla said:

Week 26 A marigold flower (calendula officinalis) catching the sun.

week 26 small.jpg

Stunning Sharla.  My kind of photo!  Dont you just love the side lit and back lit flowers?  Mother Nature is the earths first artist. We are artists capturing an artist in action.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

That's fabulous Corrie.  There is so much variations in the color and the veining looks so cool.  Petunias remind me of my mom, she always had them.  

Thank you! For a while petunias were considered old fashioned but they are back in full swing. I always liked them and have them almost every year, but they are prone to lice.

• WOW 2

57 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you! For a while petunias were considered old fashioned but they are back in full swing. I always liked them and have them almost every year, but they are prone to lice.

Lice?  I would have never known that.  

I asked at the garden center FAQ and "lice" is looked at as "aphids" here. Possibly a European term for the same insect? When I had to deal with my girls coming home from first grade with a "lice infestation" in their hair I didn't see it as "aphids." In fact, I also had an infestation of aphids on my indoor succulents a few years ago.

Oh, I just found it. The government of Canada has the answer: Plant lice = aphids

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I asked at the garden center FAQ and "lice" is looked at as "aphids" here. Possibly a European term for the same insect? When I had to deal with my girls coming home from first grade with a "lice infestation" in their hair I didn't see it as "aphids." In fact, I also had an infestation of aphids on my indoor succulents a few years ago.

Oh, I just found it. The government of Canada has the answer: Plant lice = aphids

Ann in turn I didn't know this. I used the translation of the Dutch word "luis" or plural "luizen" and found louse or plural lice. It are those little greenish basterds that leave a sticky surface on the plants and ants love them! When you notice them in the garden than you are sure to see ants feasting on them. We use the word "luizen" also when there is a lice infestation in the hair of schoolkids. It seems that lice is a more generic word for a small and wingless parasitic insect on man, animals and plants , while aphids is only used for plants. At least according to my old and trusted Webster's New World Dictionary.

• Like 2

Ann in turn I didn't know this. I used the translation of the Dutch word "luis" or plural "luizen" and found louse or plural lice. It are those little greenish basterds that leave a sticky surface on the plants and ants love them! When you notice them in the garden than you are sure to see ants feasting on them. We use the word "luizen" also when there is a lice infestation in the hair of schoolkids. It seems that lice is a more generic word for a small and wingless parasitic insect on man, animals and plants , while aphids is only used for plants. At least according to my old and trusted Webster's New World Dictionary.

Ants will farm aphids, as aphids feed on the sap of plants, they secrete a liquid called honeydew.  Aphids are sometimes called  plant lice, but they are not related.  Aphids are closely related within the suborder Sternorrhyncha. Lice belong to the suborder Troctomorpha, in the order that also contain book lice, barklice, and bark flies.  We look for aphid infestions in the crops.  I studied the  aphid when I was recording and documenting the life cycle of the  ladybird several   years ago.   As Ladybirds feed almost exclusivley on aphids.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 1