June 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

spacer.png

Do you want to challenge yourself to take photos every week for a year?

Maybe you want to practice your photography skills, or just try to capture "ordinary" daily occurrences.

Let's just encourage each other.

This is a no-pressure thread, and you can share the photos you took or the theme you are going for (if you are going with a theme).

And if you don't want to share the photos yet, and only showcase them once they are in a montage or a scrapbook page, you can just say that you did it.

And it is ok to start your 52 weeks at any time. It does not have to start in January!

• Cassel pinned this topic

I had a doctor's appointment in the hospital and on  the busy street before the building there was a family of geese crossing the road to go from one piece of grass to the another. They walked very calmly and the parents had some trouble to keep the youngsters in line. There is a bus stop and 2 busses had to halt to let them all pass. I wasn't the only onlooker that made some photos that day. The geese are the "Grote Canadese Gans" - Branta canadensis and are some time ago more or less imported from abroad and are now very often a pain in the ass for farmers because they are eating and damaging the crops. But it was a lovely sight!

WEEK-23-600.jpg

• Love 7

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I had a doctor's appointment in the hospital and on  the busy street before the building there was a family of geese crossing the road to go from one piece of grass to the another. They walked very calmly and the parents had some trouble to keep the youngsters in line. There is a bus stop and 2 busses had to halt to let them all pass. I wasn't the only onlooker that made some photos that day. The geese are the "Grote Canadese Gans" - Branta canadensis and are some time ago more or less imported from abroad and are now very often a pain in the ass for farmers because they are eating and damaging the crops. But it was a lovely sight!

WEEK-23-600.jpg

I had to drive around this very scene yesterday returning home from an appointment. Usually, the geese hang out around my condo complex, but they've been missing lately so now I realize they're off raising families. I do have one male goose (gander?) who sits alone outside my kitchen window. He appears to be waiting for his mate, who is among the missing this season. She (and he) came around a lot the last two years. She was noticeable because she limped and had a band around the affected leg. Last fall I named them George and Gracie and then, suddenly, she was gone. I hope I didn't jinx the fine couple. 😔

• WOW 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

WEEK-23-600.jpg

Great pic! Years ago I had to drive by a pond that was a few blocks from my office. There were many mornings I was late because I had to wait for the geese to finish crossing the road.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

You see there are and we have different European geese as well, but they are threatened by the Canadians.

I wonder how they got there.  I was shocked to see you had pictures of them.  They do love the farm fields.  When i lived in British Columbia there was farm fields around my house and they spent their nights there.  But hey, free fertilizer for the farmers.  We used to go the little park with a small pond and counted over 800 one night as they were taking off.  When they were up on the grass part of the park you could just walk amongst them.  I miss that park, I only see a few geese here and there where I live now.  I know the farmers dont feel the same.  And I get that it's not good to have an invasive species as it upsets the balance in the areas they shouldn't be in.  It's like the starlings that were brought to Canada.  

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I was shocked to see you had pictures of them.

Canada geese are very common in Europe. In the UK they were introduced hundreds of years ago and you can find them in most places where there is inland water like ponds and lakes. In the winter the numbers increase as some migrate here but even without them we have many thousands. To us they are a common sight - its other types of geese that are interesting!

• Like 3

I forgot to post this while waiting for the Campus to stop having a nervous breakdown! j/k

My Chippy is quite photogenic. Now he wants to come in a play with the cats. (I don't think so; Eve would dispatch him handily 😞 ) 

P52-WEEK 23-JUNE 9-CHIPPY-LET ME IN_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I forgot to post this while waiting for the Campus to stop having a nervous breakdown! j/k

My Chippy is quite photogenic. Now he wants to come in a play with the cats. (I don't think so; Eve would dispatch him handily 😞 ) 

OMG! this is precious!  So sweet.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

Canada geese are very common in Europe. In the UK they were introduced hundreds of years ago and you can find them in most places where there is inland water like ponds and lakes. In the winter the numbers increase as some migrate here but even without them we have many thousands. To us they are a common sight - its other types of geese that are interesting!

I do love Canada Geese, but seeing different ones is a real treat.  Only usually see other ones at game farms or zoos.  

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I wonder how they got there.  I was shocked to see you had pictures of them.  They do love the farm fields.  When i lived in British Columbia there was farm fields around my house and they spent their nights there.  But hey, free fertilizer for the farmers.  We used to go the little park with a small pond and counted over 800 one night as they were taking off.  When they were up on the grass part of the park you could just walk amongst them.  I miss that park, I only see a few geese here and there where I live now.  I know the farmers dont feel the same.  And I get that it's not good to have an invasive species as it upsets the balance in the areas they shouldn't be in.  It's like the starlings that were brought to Canada.  

I see them here everywhere! When there is some small ditch with water and some grass you can find them. In my photo they went from one patch of grass to another across that busy street and that made it a bit more special.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

What a sweet fellow, he is curious what is happening inside and he probably knows there must be food!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Week 23

Are we already this far into the new year.  Where did the time go?  

I used lots of techniques that I now forget, on the background.  There was a number of Effects piled on top of one another and noise was added.  In the end the background looks a bit like fabric.  The font and outline were treated to Effects or a blend mode (I'm sorry, I cant find my notes, I think I recycled them) so it looks somewhat painted on, although might not show up with this resolution.  

Yup, it's pretty blurry looking.  If I get my act together I'll start posting on FB starting from the January classes.  Time seems to be slipping through my hands these days.

P52 Wk23 - 2 Diamonds-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 6

45 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Week 23

Are we already this far into the new year.  Where did the time go?  

I used lots of techniques that I now forget, on the background.  There was a number of Effects piled on top of one another and noise was added.  In the end the background looks a bit like fabric.  The font and outline were treated to Effects or a blend mode (I'm sorry, I cant find my notes, I think I recycled them) so it looks somewhat painted on, although might not show up with this resolution.  

Yup, it's pretty blurry looking.  If I get my act together I'll start posting on FB starting from the January classes.  Time seems to be slipping through my hands these days.

P52 Wk23 - 2 Diamonds-600.jpg

Another nice teacup! Time is a thing I once thought I had in abundance! But it is true: the older I get the lesser I have. 🫠

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Another nice teacup! Time is a thing I once thought I had in abundance! But it is true: the older I get the lesser I have. 🫠

It seem like that to me too.  Shouldnt it be the other way around.  I used to say, sleep was wasted on the youth and now I should say, Time is wasted on the youth. All the time I wasted when I was young, I wish i could have that back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used a photo of my patio in this week's chitchat and it had my hortensias in it. I had made a couple of photos and for Week 24 I used one that is a more close up one in which the hortensias are better to see. Thanks to the constant rainy weather and low temperatures they are very lush this year. Oké that's the only plus 😢 of this weather ☔

WEEK-24-600.jpg

• Love 5

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I used a photo of my patio in this week's chitchat and it had my hortensias in it. I had made a couple of photos and for Week 24 I used one that is a more close up one in which the hortensias are better to see. Thanks to the constant rainy weather and low temperatures they are very lush this year. Oké that's the only plus 😢 of this weather ☔

WEEK-24-600.jpg

Very pretty Corrie.  Are the pink flowers hortensias too?  They look a bit different (the flower and leaves).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Very pretty Corrie.  Are the pink flowers hortensias too?  They look a bit different (the flower and leaves).

Thank you and yes they are both hortensias but they are a slightly different variety. There are more colors available too; white and depending on the iron in the soil they can be blue as well. Mine are relatively small and mend to put in a container, the bigger ones have to be planted in the garden. Because ours are in a container they have to be watered often when it isn't raining enough, and in the garden it depends on the soil, but they love water!  We give them a gift of fertilizer every month during the growing season. In the winter the blooms can look fantastic with frost or a dusting of snow. Normally you leave the blooms on the bare branches in the winter because they protect the new buds and cut them of in early spring. The blooms can be pretty big and you also can dry them and use in flower arrangements. 

12 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you and yes they are both hortensias but they are a slightly different variety. There are more colors available too; white and depending on the iron in the soil they can be blue as well. Mine are relatively small and mend to put in a container, the bigger ones have to be planted in the garden. Because ours are in a container they have to be watered often when it isn't raining enough, and in the garden it depends on the soil, but they love water!  We give them a gift of fertilizer every month during the growing season. In the winter the blooms can look fantastic with frost or a dusting of snow. Normally you leave the blooms on the bare branches in the winter because they protect the new buds and cut them of in early spring. The blooms can be pretty big and you also can dry them and use in flower arrangements. 

Thank you Corrie, this is good information.  I'm looking for a bush that blooms to fill a spot in the yard.  I'll check to see if they can grow here.  I love Peony's too, and yesterday saw one in a garden so I think I could have one of those too.  The in-ground variety you speak of would also be good cover for the little brown birds I would presume.  My mom wouldn't even know me if she saw me gardening and growing flowers.  I couldnt resist when I was getting groceries today, they had a pretty potted dahlia variety so I bought it.  My flowers from seed are a ways away (at a few inches talll) from any photo opportunities so I bought some in-bloom plants for right now.  Just need to find a block of time to take some pictures.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

Week 24 We have a couple of broad based planters filled with water and pond plants. The birds like to drink from them and I get to enjoy the flowers. This year the Yellow Flag Irises have done really well – this photo is one of them in the rain.

week 24 600.jpg

• Love 4

16 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Corrie, this is good information.  I'm looking for a bush that blooms to fill a spot in the yard.  I'll check to see if they can grow here.  I love Peony's too, and yesterday saw one in a garden so I think I could have one of those too.  The in-ground variety you speak of would also be good cover for the little brown birds I would presume.  My mom wouldn't even know me if she saw me gardening and growing flowers.  I couldnt resist when I was getting groceries today, they had a pretty potted dahlia variety so I bought it.  My flowers from seed are a ways away (at a few inches talll) from any photo opportunities so I bought some in-bloom plants for right now.  Just need to find a block of time to take some pictures.  

When you look for a hortensia you will have to take into consideration how much space you have available and check the how winterhard your choice will be because there are many varieties that can differ for the conditions they prefer. But gardencenters know all of that, if you aren't sure ask for advice.